• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Uh-oh, how did you learn DIY trumpet repair?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Uh-oh, how did you learn DIY trumpet repair? Reply with quote

I’ve wanted to do some repair work on a couple of junker horns that have come my way over the years. Now I’m finally in a place to do it but I’m not sure where to get good advice. I have a trumpet, cornet, and flugelhorn that all need varying degrees of soldering.

I have experience with torch work but haven’t done anything that requires this much precision. I’m confident that I can learn without killing myself or burning my house down. I’m not interested in anything that requires machining or machine tools, just the soldering and finish work.

I don’t have time for trade school or anything like that. Any suggestions for online resources? How did you learn?
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of videos on youtube of trumpet repair work, practice is the main thing to do with soldering, 30 years ago I built a good relationship with a local repair man who did not mind me watching him at work, I learned a lot from him.

I use mainly an Orca Hand held torch it produces a flame about 2" long and 3/8" diameter at maximum, rarely need anything more powerful.

If I can give you more tips message me. I have been soldering for 75 years,

Regards, Stuart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: