• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auraix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Trumpet problems Reply with quote

I am currently a senior in high school. I play lead in my schools marching band and up until a few weeks ago, I was playing fine. Recently though my chops have been aching a lot and I'm not sure what I should do to fix it.

Because of this aching I've found it harder to play my normal range and in my convert band, I've just been moved up to 1st part, which I really felt. I used to be able to play high Eb's consistently, but now I have a hard time playing high C's. My endurance has also gone down by a large amount and after half a minute of playing, I hear noticeable changes in my tone

What should I do to fix this? I've tried taking it down an octave, but it doesn't seen to work. I use a system blue mouthpiece 1, is that what if is? Or is it possibly something else?
ohnecael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ive learned anything after a marching band pratice is you NEED TO WARM DOWN espically after a long rehearsal of playing a ton. just start on a concert F at a mezzo forte and work you way down in half steps.

I.E start on your G slur down to F# slur back up to G and just work your way down always sluring back up to G till you hit pedal C and just flap it out.

A lot of drum corps use this warm down after rehearsals and our Tech from phantom stresses warming down a ton.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Trumpet problems Reply with quote

Hello A,
Welcome to the Herald. You described what I experienced in HS and college. Trying to play big and loud all the time is not good for the chops. I found myself fatigues and that because of the volume, I let my aperture get too open...To the extent It was that way all the time. The warm down, like mentioned is important, as is the the idea of conservation. When you have a few minutes warmup, maybe soft, centered bends and Clarke type stuff. Get those lips back to a smaller aperture. Efficiency and projection should be the goal. Mouthpiece choice should not be extreme. That will just negatively effect your tone.
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh, I tried to play as little as I could in marching band. Wasn’t a good use of chops
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, it is possible to do damage to your chops by playing too loud, too hard, too much. They will get better in time if you patiently take care of them. The old saying "rest as much as you play" holds true. Rebuild your chops with gentle long tones and lip slurs.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need is rest. Don't try to play every single note. Get the mouthpiece off of your chops when not playing, even a 1 beat rest completely off the lips will help some. If your chops feel hot, stop playing. Let the swelling go down. Email me if you would like a sample of a product that would help with tired and swollen chops.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need to rest. Since you can't avoid playing, you need to find ways to reduce your performance intensity for a while. Once you've recovered some then you'd do well with some targeted practice room work where you work on refining your chops: quiet playing, some light flexibilities, only playing high at modest volume, maybe some bending exercises.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've overdone it. Try to get a full day or two off the horn and then when you resume, take it easy. When practicing on your own ALWAYS rest as much as you play between exercises. Break your practicing into 2 or 3 twenty minutes sessions spaced through the day.

When playing in band, get the horn off hour mouth every few phrases (unless you are the only one playing the part). Work with your colleagues and plan where each takes a little break in the music.

As my teacher Claude Gordon used to say, "It's your choice - you can be the hero of the high school band now, or a Player later."

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advises above my 2 cents, start your warmup (specially after a hard day ) with wisper long tones(with soft breath attack) for 15 to 30 minutes , after that continue with your normal routine.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest and recover. As you regain strength, do a better job of pacing yourself to manage your resources so you won't wear yourself down again.
Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: