• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warming up all wrong for the longest time!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
widespreadtrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Warming up all wrong for the longest time! Reply with quote

Having jumped head first into the James Stamp Warm-ups, I notice that after the first few exercises, my chops were feeling great...so, naturally, I started belting out the execises high notes FF and enjoying the progress. Problem is, I was tearing down what I was building up by blasting my way through the exercises. Later in the day, I'd found my chops were stiff and I had to gradually warm up softly again to get them feeling flexible. Light bulb moment!! I now hold way back on the initial warm up and have found it really makes a difference throughout the day of playing.
Just sharing this as a way of giving back to the team.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Warming up all wrong for the longest time! Reply with quote

widespreadtrumpet wrote:
Having jumped head first into the James Stamp Warm-ups, I notice that after the first few exercises, my chops were feeling great...so, naturally, I started belting out the execises high notes FF and enjoying the progress. Problem is, I was tearing down what I was building up by blasting my way through the exercises. Later in the day, I'd found my chops were stiff and I had to gradually warm up softly again to get them feeling flexible. Light bulb moment!! I now hold way back on the initial warm up and have found it really makes a difference throughout the day of playing.
Just sharing this as a way of giving back to the team.

Thank you for sharing. Granted your post would more fit in "Fundamentals" or better yet, "High Range Development". However Mr Widespread your post illustrates a common problem in developing trumpets,

Inability to practice or play within their apparent physical limitations.

In my more recent years I like to see the order of the tunes before warming up. Either for a gig or even just just a rehearsal. Knowing what charts are first up tells me how much I need to warm up. If the first chart is light in physical energy demands? Will perhaps just take a few minutes warming up. As the first chart will effectively help me "warm up" all by itself. Allowing the job itself to provide the necessary framework for the initial warm up. This strategy also allows for more endurance over t h e job. Say if the gig goes deep into the third set. Or has lots of heavy blowing.

There's a trumpet player in our local college rehearsal band with an extreme case of what you describe. Enviable double C range. However since he's always busting his chops fishing for high notes? He can't finish the gig with enough strength to command the section and band. His problem seems more acute than yours. Then to make matters worse?

He never really developed a solid middle register. That and regularly hits clams around high C. So we use him sparingly in the section. When I was in the section (am on trombone this semester) I played most of the tricky lead parts. Using "Joe" only to blow 3rd and 4th charts. That and to help me blast out anything above high G. He possesses commendable extreme high range but is almost worthless from a musical standpoint. Nice fellow too. I keep nudging him.wiith that handy hint,

"Play the INK Joe".

He understands that this is the best choice. Yet just can't seem to incorporate this sound advice into his routines. As he never misses an opportunity to take a high note or even a whole phrase up a perfect fifth. Or even an octave. However this bad habit burns him out on lead long before the night is over. That and leaves his mid-range to high D or so largely undeveloped.

I was like this during the first half of my college freshmsn year. Fortunately I had a supportive but stern trumpet professor. Cured me of this bad habit PDQ.

"Lionel my boy you have a fine upper register. Unfortunately you don't play musically in the most important area. What we call this the "cash register"...

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: