• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why the Big Bands Died

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has some great information to ponder. I'm sure, like everything else in life, the reason why the big bands "died" is complicated...probably all of the reasons stated here.

Unfortunately for everyone here, this thread (and this site in general) is littered with some very childish and pointless banter. It's embarrassing to see adults behaving like this
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"big band" to me is more of a blanket term any more....The big bands of the 30's and 40's played mainly for dance type functions, so when that style of dance lost favor, that was that for them. If you're talking Kenton, Maynard, Buddy, etc. you're talking about listening to the music in a concert setting, and even though it's less common you can still find it, stuff like LCJO etc.....in this case the scarcity of such bands, like a lot of stuff in our society, probably boils down to $$$$, the cost of keeping 17-18 guys working, paying for arrangers...It's tough enough to keep a jazz quartet employed these days....
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51recording wrote:
"big band" to me is more of a blanket term any more....The big bands of the 30's and 40's played mainly for dance type functions, so when that style of dance lost favor, that was that for them. If you're talking Kenton, Maynard, Buddy, etc. you're talking about listening to the music in a concert setting, and even though it's less common you can still find it, stuff like LCJO etc.....in this case the scarcity of such bands, like a lot of stuff in our society, probably boils down to $$$$, the cost of keeping 17-18 guys working, paying for arrangers...It's tough enough to keep a jazz quartet employed these days....

Excellent assessment. As a product of all the above mentioned "permutations" of big bands, I whole-heartedly agree. And as previously state, big bands are not yet DOA.
king leopardi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US during WW2, there was a 20 percent cabaret tax on music played for dancing (from what I understand, however, that did not apply to music being played in a club for listening, which helped the smaller jazz combos). Not only would that be an economic blow for a bandleader, but it would be bad for anyone who owned a ballroom.

Factor in wartime tire and gas shortages, which would have made it harder to take a band on a long tour, especially a 17 piece band on a bus.

This, and the inevitable change in popular tastes, are what I've always thought were the causes of the loss in popularity for the big bands.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”
--H.L. Mencken
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: