• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eb soprano mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
I think there are two sound concepts for soprano cornet:

A - Laser like for cutting through a loud band.
B - Lyrical and a bit thinner than a normal cornet but still mellow.

These days the dominant style seems to be #A which is why there are a lot of 7EW 10EW type mouthpieces being used. Personally I find that they don;t speak easily. It seems to take a lot of effort to get them to make a noise. Something like a Bach 6 makes more sense to me. I am using a McCann at the moment which compared to these is huge.

Once upon a time I played the soprano cornet in our brass band; it was a Getzen Eterna, rather large horn to be a soprano. I used a Bach 1 1/2 C which gave a sound that could become both A and B. Today we have a pro who plays on a tiny Schilke and uses a Bach 3 - his sound is both A and B, sometimes has a "baroquial" air about it.
So I think this is very personal; the horn itself must be taken into the equation.
Then we have this change in the sound profile over the years - today I think I would use a more V-cupish mpc - and having gotten older probably a smaller diameter than the Bach, towards 16,25-16,50.
That lyrical sound is hard to get out of this unforgiving horn, one always has to sharpen oneĀ“s ears to get in tune with the solocornets.....ouch!
But really worth striving for.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSHxFybELNY

Peter Roberts. One of the finest soprano players ever. He plays a Bach 17 or 17C. I've also heard folks sound great on a Bach 7D and similar sized Warburton stuff. I think you want to approach Eb cornet more like piccolo trumpet than Bb/C.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Just to put it out there that Monette began making Eb Cornet mpcs some years ago.***

As has been discussed above, individual preference between a more trumpet-like cup shape (and relative cup shallowness) versus more traditional 19th century deep(er) V-shaped cups is really the first consideration. And that is a very subjective, player-by-player decision with some big trade-offs depending on how extreme one goes in either direction. Along with this, there is the question of whether one approaches Soprano Cornet as a piccolo trumpet/flugelhorn -esque 'double,' or rather if one chooses to take up a specialization in Eb Cornet:

-In cases of the former, one may seek out a more efficient mouthpiece, relatable to their standard rim, but moving more towards the trumpet/shallower bowl cups with the expectation that this configuration would facilitate with the transition between instruments while also mitigating the range and intonation challenges of the instrument and the idiomatic demands of its part in the brass band.

-If one chooses to specialize, it's typical to favor rim contours and diameters that may not work as well on trumpet, but which will counterbalance a somewhat more 'traditional' cornet cup, with some more depth, and the intonation/register demands of the music.

Going back to the Monette thing - a size like their 5 was originally modeled off a design many players used for piccolo trumpet, but which corresponds to the smaller (not very small, around a Bach 3 diameter, w a special rim) deeper "V"-ish (ensuring a big sound on the picc - or Sopr - while retaining excellent efficiency) example. The quality control and attention to design balance that achieve "Constant Pitch Center" distinguishes Monette mouthpieces, and contacting BJ at the shop is the best first step in choosing a Monette Soprano Cornet mouthpiece.

Late this summer, I had the privilege of play testing several configurations of mouthpieces on their prototype Eb Cornet(te), and, on that instrument, some of the extraordinarily skeletonized attributes of their XLT Resonance Piccolo mouthpieces were also being incorporated. The player they were building the instrument for prefers the more trumpet-like, shallower cups, but of course every different size and shape mouthpiece they had fit to the horn played all over, top-to-bottom with a great center and great sound. (John Kim was playing well beyond the instrument's high C and D, and I think there's a video from the time of my video when he's playing F scales, beyond punching out locked-in pitches the equivalent of double C+ on Bb). The degree of fine-tuning they were doing to make the best soprano cornet ever was absolutely inspiring!

That said, in closing, the approach of your colleagues will likely be one of the determining factors in leading one to choose their best gear to approach the challenges of the Eb Cornet. So, if you have access to a valued colleague with a lot of experience on the horn, pick their brain. Absent that good fortune, explore what you can, and keep your ears and mind open - follow whatever configuration gives you the most musical options, disregarding as best you can any expectations you may have about the equipment, as well as the 'feel' - it's new gear, on new gear, so it'll take some time to get adjusted. "If it sounds good, it is good!"

Happy practicing,
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: