• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What to expect after taking time off the horn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auraix

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: What to expect after taking time off the horn Reply with quote

So after practice and my lips swelling to the point where I can't even play a stable c on the staff during marching band, I decided that it was probably best to spend time off the horn, which I tried to avoid for a long time.

I also have weird lumps in specific areas that become sore after playing anything in the staff, which really annoys me. That was when I was recommended to do long tones.

Long tones weren't doing much considering I had other band activities the same day, and even when I was on a weekend, it did little to help with my tone or the swelling.

So I'm gonna take about 1-3 days (depending on how I feel, likely 3) I want to know what I should expect when I actually do play it again.
I would also like to know what exercises I should focus on most and how to prevent my lips from swelling like this ever again.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to think your problem is being caused primarily by faulty fundamentals rather than by overplaying. It's not normal to experience "weird lumps in specific areas that become sore after playing anything in the staff" as a natural by-product of simple fatigue.

There is no way for me to know exactly what is creating your problems but, certainly, using a lot of pressure comes to mind especially since one of your issues is swelling. Crushing the lips and swelling of the lips go hand in hand.

If nothing changes about the way you play then what you can expect after you lay off a few days and then resume playing is a repeat of the exact same issues you have now.

To prevent your lips from swelling excessively in the future you have to first figure out what caused them to swell excessively in the first place. Then stop doing whatever that turns out to be.
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it is the stock answer, but you need a good private lessons teacher. If you have one and you trust them, stay away from here and do what they say. If you don't, please get one. I have never had a young student correctly diagnose a problem in their playing and find a long term solution for it. They try, but the experience just isn't there. Sometimes it's a wash. Usually, they make the problems worse.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until your teacher says you need a new mouthpiece and not when you think you need a new one. Youll avoid what a lot of us have probably done and save some money
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharkbaitboi wrote:
Wait until your teacher says you need a new mouthpiece and not when you think you need a new one. Youll avoid what a lot of us have probably done and save some money

What??

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the lumps and chop failure is because you had an unusually tough week then a few days off may set you straight. If these are recurring things then indeed you may have a fundamentals issue. A good teacher and a good daily routine properly executed is the best recommendation. If that's not in the cards then you need to find ways to reduce the strain on your chops. Less time playing loud and more time playing soft can help. Working on flexibilities while focusing on good mechanics (lip, tongue, pivot,...) and reducing bad mechanics (arm pressure, blowing hard) could help you break bad habits.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your problem occurs only during and after marching band rehearsals, the issue could be poor marching technique. The upper portion of your body needs to remain as stable as possible with your lower half creating the movement on the field.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of long tones, but I definitely wouldn't recommend them to a trumpeter who's recovering from overuse and fatigue.

Instead, I suggest you rest up until the swelling and damage is healed. Then ease back into it with sound production exercises and soft practice on things like Clarke Technical Exercises in an easy range. Small doses of practice and lots of rest. Good luck.
Piccolo Stomvi
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Sharkbaitboi wrote:

What??

Brad

What?
Auraix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone! Upon checking it out, I found out that the lumps were a bundle of cold sores across multiple areas that haven't quite hurt in a while, after spending 2 days doing nothing but long tones (And quietly forcing myself not to go any higher than a middle C). It just feels weird now actually.

But that's beside the point. So for the next few days I'll continue doing only long tones and I hope the sores will go away. In the event it does not, then is there like a certain medicine I can use to increase recovery speed? I want to take complete time off the horn as a last resort and right now its fall break so I have the luxury of doing so.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what VERY little you describe, you have overworked your lip. You have cold sores on top of this - which very often come up when you are stressed - which just makes things worse.

What most sensible people would do is:

1. Rest. do NOT play at all. You can take days off and not suffer long term, but by not resting you can injure yourself and suffer permanent injury.

2. Get the cold sores healed. Go see your GP, or a pharmacist, NOT here. This will take time, use it to rest.

3. Get a teacher. No ifs, no buts, no nothing. This is what is needed if you are to make progress in any sort of orderly way. The alternative is to guess what you need to do and then hope that by some random chance, you'll improve and become great. I know which alternative I'd put on the sails of the Sydney opera house!

4. See #1 again. Do NO long note exercises. Rest.

Come back in a week.

cheers

Andy
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharkbaitboi wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Sharkbaitboi wrote:

What??

Brad

What?

What’s up with all this chum?
Rod
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't play so loud
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft buzzing is always a lifesaver
ohnecael

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auraix wrote:

But that's beside the point. So for the next few days I'll continue doing only long tones and I hope the sores will go away. In the event it does not, then is there like a certain medicine I can use to increase recovery speed? I want to take complete time off the horn as a last resort and right now its fall break so I have the luxury of doing so.

A good way to a speedy cold sore recovery is to use vitamin E oil. I works absolute wonders on cold sores and they will be gone in 2 or 3 days time guarenteed with repeat application every few hours or so. I get really bad cold sores due to stress during my marching band season and it clears it right up.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohnecael wrote:
Auraix wrote:

A good way to a speedy cold sore recovery is to use vitamin E oil. I works absolute wonders on cold sores and they will be gone in 2 or 3 days time guarenteed with repeat application every few hours or so. I get really bad cold sores due to stress during my marching band season and it clears it right up.

SEE ANDY’S POST ABOVE.

There are various opinions on this, but I’ll tell you my experiences: cold sores, pimples, etc. are temporary problems. And a good way to make a temporary problem a long term problem is to not rest and let it heal; I did that very thing as a college freshman. It’s admirable to be dedicated to practice, that will take you a long way. But sometimes if you don’t listen to what your body is telling you, what would have been a speed bump can turn into something much worse. In my experience, most players who are practicing steadily will benefit from some short term rest when it’s needed.

Or, you can continue to play on a problem, out of fear of taking a bit of time off, and end up fighting the same difficulty for months instead of a couple of days. If you were my student, given the circumstances you describe, I would tell you to put the horn in the case for a few days.

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
From what VERY little you describe, you have overworked your lip. You have cold sores on top of this - which very often come up when you are stressed - which just makes things worse.

What most sensible people would do is:

1. Rest. do NOT play at all. You can take days off and not suffer long term, but by not resting you can injure yourself and suffer permanent injury.

2. Get the cold sores healed. Go see your GP, or a pharmacist, NOT here. This will take time, use it to rest.

3. Get a teacher. No ifs, no buts, no nothing. This is what is needed if you are to make progress in any sort of orderly way. The alternative is to guess what you need to do and then hope that by some random chance, you'll improve and become great. I know which alternative I'd put on the sails of the Sydney opera house!

4. See #1 again. Do NO long note exercises. Rest.

Come back in a week.

cheers

Andy

100% agreed.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: