• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Headphones for Practice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyler.slamkowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Headphones for Practice Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm looking for a good pair of open headphones to practice along with recordings, especially jazz transcriptions. What do you use? I'm looking at AKG K-240 headphones right now.

Looking for something that allows my own playing sound to enter when I'm listening and playing along. I have good closed-ear headphones for intentional listening.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Tyler
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For use with a Yamaha Silent Brass system, I find I like the over ear headphones. I have a Bose set.. I feel pretty comfortable with what I hear, and find the over-ear design provides an interesting perspective. Almost like hearing yourself in the 3rd person/from the front end of the trumpet.
There is little point to hearing the accoustic side of this kind of setup... opening one ear, or partially covering each ear is always optional.

The best quality headphone, giving you the best sound and most dynamic control, then adjust how you wear them..

Yea! Muskegon. I grew up on Terrace St.

good luck.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
For use with a Yamaha Silent Brass system, I find I like the over ear headphones. I have a Bose set.. I feel pretty comfortable with what I hear, and find the over-ear design provides an interesting perspective. Almost like hearing yourself in the 3rd person/from the front end of the trumpet.
There is little point to hearing the accoustic side of this kind of setup... opening one ear, or partially covering each ear is always optional.

Ditto! Similar set up for me but with Bose On Ear Noise Cancelling phones.

I patch my iPad into the Auxiliary jack of the SB for "woodshedding" with YouTube and iTunes recordings. I appreciate the ability to dial myself into the mix with adjustment from my iPad and Silent Brass volume controls. A key element is playing "lightly" whenever the SB mute is in place. Overblowing can have adverse effects on your chops and requires conscientious application of the appropriate awareness.

Out of necessity, I practiced for a little more than an hour this morning using this very setup and will repeat again tomorrow morning for an upcoming Jazz Ensemble Performance on Friday and prep for an upcoming Chamber Orchestra rehearsal on Saturday and performance in a few weeks. I have utilized this setup for warmup and practice when traveling with my Wife sitting very nearby in hotel rooms with no complaint. I keep a pair of Sennheiser in-ear pods in my horn cases to use with my SB for backstage warmup often as well and that works in a similar fashion as my Bose On Ear Ear phones when less bulk becomes necessary.

Hope you have a great experience.

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Headphones for Practice Reply with quote

tyler.slamkowski wrote:
Hey all,

I'm looking for a good pair of open headphones to practice along with recordings, especially jazz transcriptions. What do you use? I'm looking at AKG K-240 headphones right now.

Looking for something that allows my own playing sound to enter when I'm listening and playing along. I have good closed-ear headphones for intentional listening.

Tyler

I used AKG240's from 1989 until a couple of years ago, before Philips realized that their 9500 'phones (which could be found on deep sale for $50) could be sold for $200 and more. If you can find a good price on SHP9500S -- they are great -- efficient, fairly neutral, and very comfortable for prolonged use -- more comfortable than the AKG240, and, they let in just the right amount of sound when playing and listening at the same time. At $200 or $300, though, I'd want to see what else is available in the price range.

BEWARE -- the current AKG240's are not what they used to be and not what the reputation was built on. I just recommended a pair to a friend (when I couldn't find any new Philips 9500's in the US) and the Chinese version is not up to the original, Austrian product. Not as comfortable -- I can't imagine how/why they couldn't perfectly reproduce the physical product. The replaceable cord is nice. I didn't listen to anything worth listening to on my friend's new phones but the new (Chinese) version is 55Ω whereas the older (Austrian) version was 600Ω -- an obvious nod toward the portable-digital-device market rather than the studios.

My 2¢

-Denny
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Sennheiser HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT990 pro headphones. Both are higher resistance and need a good output source to have good color, but they are excellent and industry-standards that are great long-term investments. I use them regularly with a Schiit Audio Magni 3 amplifier.

~A
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy Sennheiser exclusively..

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
jrd19580

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
I buy Sennheiser exclusively..

Tom

I have been using Sennheiser's with my Yamaha Silent Brass and they are fantastic!
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite sets is the old Realistic Nova 15 headphones, originally made by Sennheiser. I wore my first set out, went without for a long time, and finally found another set a few years ago on Ebay. Open backed, very accurate and comfortable.

I laughed when I recently viewed an in-studio video of the Mark Taylor big band, and one of the trombonists was wearing the Nova 15's. I guess that means that someone else found them as useful!
tyler.slamkowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Headphones for Practice Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
tyler.slamkowski wrote:
Hey all,

Tyler

I used AKG240's from 1989 until a couple of years ago, before Philips realized that their 9500 'phones (which could be found on deep sale for $50) could be sold for $200 and more. If you can find a good price on SHP9500S -- they are great -- efficient, fairly neutral, and very comfortable for prolonged use -- more comfortable than the AKG240, and, they let in just the right amount of sound when playing and listening at the same time. At $200 or $300, though, I'd want to see what else is available in the price range.

BEWARE -- the current AKG240's are not what they used to be and not what the reputation was built on. I just recommended a pair to a friend (when I couldn't find any new Philips 9500's in the US) and the Chinese version is not up to the original, Austrian product. Not as comfortable -- I can't imagine how/why they couldn't perfectly reproduce the physical product. The replaceable cord is nice. I didn't listen to anything worth listening to on my friend's new phones but the new (Chinese) version is 55Ω whereas the older (Austrian) version was 600Ω -- an obvious nod toward the portable-digital-device market rather than the studios.

My 2¢

-Denny

Denny, sounds like you're thinking along the same lines as I am (open headphones, for prolonged continuous playing). I don't want to hook up to a silent brass or anything; I want to play normally.

So you like the Philips better, then? I've found some for $50, supposedly. Online. What makes them so much better than the AKGs, sound-wise? Not too open to where your playing keeps you from hearing the music in the headphones?
tyler.slamkowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:

The best quality headphone, giving you the best sound and most dynamic control, then adjust how you wear them..

Yea! Muskegon. I grew up on Terrace St.

good luck.

Yeah Muskegon! Small world. Where did you go to school? I have some Bose sound-canceling headhpones, but I want something that I can use when I play without a mute. So open-ear. Good thoughts, though.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Headphones for Practice Reply with quote

tyler.slamkowski wrote:

Denny, sounds like you're thinking along the same lines as I am (open headphones, for prolonged continuous playing). I don't want to hook up to a silent brass or anything; I want to play normally.

So you like the Philips better, then? I've found some for $50, supposedly. Online. What makes them so much better than the AKGs, sound-wise? Not too open to where your playing keeps you from hearing the music in the headphones?

Much more comfortable on the head around the ear and on the top of the head, especially compared to the new/Chinese 240's.

I have not listened to the "new-and-improved" 240's enough to offer a legitimate opinion on their sound.

Philips lets in more room sound than the AKG -- just right as far as I'm concerned.

Newwegg and Amazon used to have the 9500's all the time. I purchase three pair last year as low aw $50 and no more than $70.

fwiw, I listen only thru a computer -- audiophile days (and ears) are long gone.

-Denny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: