• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 6335 vs 6330

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Yamaha 6335 vs 6330 Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with these older models? Just wondering what the differences were - especially how they played.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you mean the cornet. Lightweight: 6330. Heavyweight: 6335. In as far as I can recall, 6335 has triggers. 6330 has hooks. 6330 is close to 2330 and 4330. 6335 is closer to Xeno.
SirBuzzALot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Uk the model is known as the YCR6335H Maestro Cornet and was aimed at the BBB sector. But I have a feeling internationally it was only known as the 6335 and am also not sure if they were exactly the same (anyone know?). As for the 6330 it has a smaller bore of 0.462 rather than 0.470 of the 6335H and was not really sold / popular in the uk so rare to see them.

I play the YCR6335H Maestro (every week for the last 15 years!) at the moment and find it a great instrument, the lower register is quite full compared to my sovereign 921. The high A can be a little thin / tight so I tend to use 3rd valve (it is a known issue with this model).

This was the forerunner to the Xeno and then Neo cornet. So it went
Meastro > Xeno > Neo.

Al
wehip

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got my hands on an older 6335S cornet. This is different from the 6335H (Maestro) with triggers. My 6335 has finger hooks, a tuning slide brace, and a slightly tighter wrap. According to the 1987 brochure (courtesy of YamahaCollector) it has a 0.463” bore similar to the 6330 and also came with a dual trigger option.

I had no idea the 6335 (non H) series of cornets ever existed until I found mine and I am really enjoying it. It almost seems like a happy medium between the 6330 and the 6335H/Maestro/Xeno/Neo. It plays much more open and less stuffy than the vintage 733 I briefly owned (predecessor to 6330) but less dark/wooffy than the Neo I once tried. It’s possible I didn’t have the right mouthpiece for the Neo, but my 6335 plays equally well with a deep brass band mouthpiece and a Curry DC.

I’m not sure if the 6335 (non H) was produced in limited numbers or just didn’t sell well, but mine is the first one I ever remember seeing for sale or in use, with one exception - it was the horn used by Joe Burgstaller in Canadian Brass’s classic Hornsmoke performance: https://youtu.be/wk7iBt8EPmM
Piccolo: Kanstul 920
banditbecky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel lucky to play the Yamaha 6330s that I picked up from Brandon Ridenour. He left a lot of good notes in it and I find them once in a while. I play in the back row of my British style brass band, but still one of the tubas leaned over to tell me it was a pleasure to hear a beautiful instrument play. The mouthpiece is a Curry 7DC.

I do mean to introduce myself to Brandon and thank him. Maybe the next time I see him at Midwest.

Bandit Becky
———————————-
Yamaha 6335 Bb lacquer
Yamaha 6330s Bb cornet
Benge 3x ml #38555 silver Los Angeles
And a little Manchester Brass pocket trumpet from ACB that goes on the road when I work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: