• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Soulo Harmon Mute...cork differences

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Soulo Harmon Mute...cork differences Reply with quote

I clicked on the ad at the top of one of the TH pages that displayed the (new?) Soulo Harmon mute...

https://soulomute.com/product/trumpet-harmon-mute/

If you look carefully at all of the pics, you'll see two different cork materials used on the mute. I sent an email this afternoon to the company but probably won't get a response until Monday. Does anyone here know which you would get when placing the order and why the differences in these pics? I'm sort of guessing they tried the black, spongey foam first (and took pictures!), but decided to go with the kind of asphalt-looking material? The ad states:

"Additionally, it will never fall out of the bell, because of its unique neoprene composite, which 'locks' the mute inside the bell." I'm guessing it's the asphalt-looking material, which is what we can see when Adam Rapa removes the mute in the video. Just curious if anyone here knows.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe see cork and textured neoprene. The black shown on the box and some of the pictures looks neoprene to me.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've purchased one fairly recently. Came with neoprene. I'm guessing that Soulo started with a composite cork but found the neoprene to be a better choice.
BTW an excellent mute
Retired Air Force Bandsman
jazzjezz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black neoprene on mine, and a lovely mute to boot...
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also been reminded that most copper-bottomed mutes are heavier than those made of other material. This mute is advertised as lighter than the normal copper Harmon, and that that helps it stay inserted with less the weight. Thoughts from those that have one of these?
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I literally just got one last week, so I haven't used it on a gig yet. However, it is a great mute! I love the compound they use - to me, it seems to be mostly neoprene with some cork blend. If you touch it to the bell, it wants to stick.

The sound is great, too. I now have this one and the copper-bottom Soulo straight mute. They are both easily two of the best mutes in my collection.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
I've also been reminded that most copper-bottomed mutes are heavier than those made of other material. This mute is advertised as lighter than the normal copper Harmon, and that that helps it stay inserted with less the weight. Thoughts from those that have one of these?

Yes, much lighter than a Jo-Ral copper bubble mute.. have had no issue with it coming loose.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the quality of sound and projection compare to TrumCor's Zinger? I'm definitely interested in the Soulo after trying out a friend's aluminum straight mute (which I might have to get one of those too!)
jrd19580

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the Soulo line of mutes compare to the Dennis Wick Line?

Thanks!
John

Last edited by jrd19580 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
jazzjezz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:
How does the quality of sound and projection compare to TrumCor's Zinger? I'm definitely interested in the Soulo after trying out a friend's aluminum straight mute (which I might have to get one of those too!)

This is my confession.... I might have a mute addiction habit....

I have copper and aluminium JoRals, the black Zinger and the Soulo. I used to prefer the copper Jo for miked intimate solo work due to the complex fluffy tone, but used the aluminium version for big band work due to its more incisive tone. Then the Zinger came along - I liked it but not enough to replace the heavy copper or aluminium JoRals. The Soulo is my goto bubble mute now. All the projection of the aluminium JoRal or Zinger and plenty of colour to the sound as well.

As has been previously mentioned, it is also light, and stays in the bell well too.

I would personally recommend it over the others. The Denis Wick doesn't come close (and yes... I have one of those as well - but that one is loaned out...)
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently using the Soulo Harmon for about a week.
So now I'm using all Soulo mutes and I'm extremely happy.

What I really like about the Harmon is the way it easily fits and doesn't fall out.
They really solved that issue nicely. Last sunday I was the only one in a section of 7 who didn't need to hold his Harmon with 1 hand to prevent them from falling ... so the rest of the section was very curious about

Soundwise, it also does the trick, although you need to pay a bit more attention to tuning in the lower register.
Coming from a Crown copper one, you can clearly hear a difference in sound.
Will depend on the music to decide which one suits best.
The rest of the section was using Jo-ral. But they all blended together nicely.
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Soulo Harmon Mute...cork differences Reply with quote

I ordered one this week and it's Out for Delivery today. Can't wait to try it!!! BTW...how are the Soulo straight mutes??? Is the copper bottom really dark or does it still have some "sting" to it? I'm also curious how the Soulo bucket mute compares to the E-Z Bucket mute, sound wise...ease of on-off, etc.

Thanks,
Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance this week to finally use my Soulo harmon on a gig. The sound is much like the Jo-Ral, fitting in somewhere between the aluminum and copper versions. Not as quite as zingy as the aluminum, but not dark like the copper. A nice balance, actually. Like wiemelen said, I was the only one not holding it in with one hand. It's a great feeling knowing that your mute is sticking to the bell and will stay there!

I also really, really like the copper straight mute. It's a lot like the Tom Crown copper bottom, but with a freer blow and a lot of projection. Definitely not a soft mute! Still, a great mute that feels good to play and sounds great.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I will be ordering a Soulo harmon very soon then. A friend of mine had the all aluminum straight on a gig and I tried it out. I would say it is comparable in sound quality and volume to a TrumCor straight, and I will probably order one of those too! Personally, I have never been a fan of copper or copper bottom straight mutes. Have always preferred brass or aluminum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: