• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to start looking for a new mouthpiece?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out all manufacturers and see which mouthpiece responds best with the following:

1) Soft breath attack on a G in the staff. If you can't start the note quickly without having to punch it, then you are off to a good start.

2) Soft articuations. Get a simple etude. Something from Arban will work. If the articulations are sloppy, there is a problem.

3) Soft low note etude. Gotta have accuracy in the lower register with big fat and centered notes.

4) Lip flex. Can you play from a G in the staff to the top space E without chipping the C?

5) Upper register. Accurately with a fat sound.

This is just the beginning though. That will get you started.
But...What if your articulations start with a THHHH? What direction do you go? Flatter rim, softer bite, more rounded rim, more bite, wider cup diameter, smaller, higher alpha angle, lower alpha??? What if you can not play a loud, focused passage and then come back down to whisper soft?

A GR Consultation will answer these questions and more and if you bring a mouthpiece you like that is not a GR and it passes the tests, then great! We don't care if you play GR or not as long as you are happy and your equipment is working for you. We are all battling the same piece of plumbing.

Bri

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
grmouthpieces@gmail.com
jrd19580

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the others said.....Find a good fitter and get fitted for you and your horn. You are going to throw lots of money away buying mouthpieces until you get properly fitted. don't ask me how I know this i went to Charlie Melk and it was worth the drive and the money!

John
jrd19580

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the others said.....Find a good fitter and get fitted for you and your horn. You are going to throw lots of money away buying mouthpieces until you get properly fitted. don't ask me how I know this i went to Charlie Melk and it was worth the drive and the money!

John
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

I appreciate the advice, Brian Scriver.

I love the idea of a mouthpiece fitting - I am much more interested in getting the mouthpiece I need, rather than the mouthpiece I want, if that makes sense. How many stories have we heard from equipment manufacturers about people choosing a horn they sound bad on because they are convinced they need a "large bore" or "big cup" or whatever?

Unfortunately I really don't have the resources to travel across the country to try out mouthpieces... I wonder if I should hit a trumpet trade show (ITG, NAMM) - I assume it would be easy to hit a number of mouthpiece manufacturers at such an event?

Thanks for your advice, all... Getting my wallet ready...
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote Turkle:
As ... notes, there are about a dozen people on this forum that can actually play the braces off a horn, and about 5,000 posters that don't know which end to blow in.

I hope that this time you found the right advice. With mouthpieces it's even worse than with horns.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Quote Turkle:
As ... notes, there are about a dozen people on this forum that can actually play the braces off a horn, and about 5,000 posters that don't know which end to blow in.

I hope that this time you found the right advice. With mouthpieces it's even worse than with horns.

Haha yep... It's the internet... Free advice is generally worth what you pay for it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: