• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Cheater" Mouthpiece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider whether you are getting the range you need to get with the sound you want to have.

For a while I was using a Curry 50M. High notes were easier, a bit. But after my teacher commented that my tone was really bright, I re-evaluated my equipment. I wanted a more pleasant sound and I am now using a Laskey 70MD, which is a little deeper than a C. I will still use the Curry when I need a little extra security, but I acknowledge that comes at the expense of my tone.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the general consensus of thread is: there is no such thing as a "cheater" mouthpiece. Whatever and however a player plays, it takes proper fundamentals of technique, embouchure conditioning and breath support.

Many times what is really necessary is a proper fitting of a mouthpiece by a qualified person, who can take the mouthpiece currently being played, ask a few questions about how it plays for the player, and then adjust one or more mouthpiece parameters to better fit the player's embouchure and help with efficiency of breath support.

And that can change over time. As I got older, the venerable 3C didn't work for me anymore. I was getting too tired. After consulting a friend who specialized in teaching beginning band and fitting instruments, we talked over everything: current technique, current conditioning, breath support. It was the breath support that was the problem, as we all lose vital capacity as we get older (I am in my 50's, and was trying to play the same mouthpiece I did in high school). He suggested a slightly tighter backbore. So since I did like the traditional 3C feel, I purchased a custom 3C with the slightly tighter #76 backbore instead of the standard #10 backbore, and to keep velocity of the airstream, slightly opened up the throat from the stock 27 to about halfway between a 27 and a 26, like Curry does - the "wobbly 27." I now have the efficiency to play like I used to. Larger range? No, but I never had that much range to begin with. Do my fingers move faster? Well, probably from a couple of years ago, because I now play more that it is more comfortable. More endurance? Yes, because not only does the backbore match my current ability to provide breath support, but again, because it is more comfortable, I play more.

It is no different than a suit: I wear a 42R. I am not going to be comfortable in a 40R or a 44L. And yes, the pants will have to be let out a bit. But once it is fitted, you don't have to tug at it anywhere, you just look good.

If instead of mouthpiece safaris, striving for a "cheater" cure, or anything else, spending a session with a trained mouthpiece fitter and purchasing what fits will go much further to help a player, just like the standard, and true advise on any other point: consult a good teacher.

OK. So much for my rant on mouthpieces.
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the GR fix
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharkbaitboi wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Sharkbaitboi wrote:
Playing lead on a Bach 1.5C is easy. I know someone that does it on a 1.25C. The rim either fits your fave or it doesnt. If you need more grip just use sandpaper on the rim

In my opinion, that’s a ridiculous statement. “Easy” for who? If that works for you, cool, but a blanket statement like that is.....see my first sentence.

Brad

Easy for everyone. Duh! Stop imposing your ideas on me. I like my Schilke 25

Joking eh? I played lead on a Bach 1 1/4 C but my range was Eb, squeaking up to G. But that was rather silly. I was young. I was and am an amateur. No formal lessons. Until some years ago.
Today I understand that I could have played lead much better if 1)I had taken lessons 2)if I had used a "lead mpc" a) as big as possible to get a decent sound b)just adequately shallow to help me endure long gigs. A combination not that easy to find. And very very personal
Ain´t any short cuts to decent lead/high register playing.
(Then we have those chosen few who can píck up their horn, not having practiced for a month or two and play a nice fat high G..... )
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharkbaitboi wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Sharkbaitboi wrote:
Playing lead on a Bach 1.5C is easy. I know someone that does it on a 1.25C. The rim either fits your fave or it doesnt. If you need more grip just use sandpaper on the rim

In my opinion, that’s a ridiculous statement. “Easy” for who? If that works for you, cool, but a blanket statement like that is.....see my first sentence.

Brad

I guess you’re correct, EVERYONE should be able to use the same equipment, and I for one am very impressed that you find a Schilke 25 to be a great choice. My apologies for “imposing ideas” on you.
No, seriously....🙄

Brad
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only cheater mouthpiece I have found is the Wedge, and that’s not a cheater just a better sounding piece for me.

I struggled like forever with a 7c size piece with no range higher than weak hi g’s usually e or f and had to use so much pressure I could only play up there for less than an hour, not exactly Woody Herman material. Then I started playing mp’s in the .620 range and a shallow cup. The range became much easier, but everything else started sounding better to. Low register clearer and fuller, just everything sounded better and became easier to do. Also I use very little pressure anymore. I have an instructor who is a Symphony principal and plays a 1.5d because that matches the sound he needs for his primary gig, but has no issues with smaller depending on what he has to play. He was surprised that such a radical piece had improvements across the board and said he really had not seen it happen with his other students saying there was usually some sort of trade off in moving so drastically. His take was that my lips and everything were better matched for that piece and that I should stay with what works. So - is a MP that is too small for over 90% of players a cheater or just the mp I need? My tone is as deep and full on the smallest Bach as his is on one of the largest. I should also mention I play a 25 throat, the previous mp’s I played had smaller throats.. I’m not smart enough to know which specific factor made the difference, but one or both did make a difference.
My .02$
Rod
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Sharkbaitboi wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Sharkbaitboi wrote:

Brad

I guess you’re correct, EVERYONE should be able to use the same equipment, and I for one am very impressed that you find a Schilke 25 to be a great choice. My apologies for “imposing ideas” on you.
No, seriously....🙄

Brad

I also want you to know that my Schilke 26 has a 20 throat and 117 backbore put on it for extra lead power
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The System Blue mouthpieces were designed by the 18 time DCI champions, the Blue Devils for use in the world of marching. If your instructor has no idea about your mouthpiece, the Blue Devils, and it’s intended use, then perhaps you should inform him of the facts.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharkbaitboi wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Sharkbaitboi wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Sharkbaitboi wrote:

Brad

No, seriously....🙄

Brad

I also want you to know that my Schilke 26 has a 20 throat and 117 backbore put on it for extra lead power

VERY impressive.

Brad
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Sharkbaitboi wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Sharkbaitboi wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Sharkbaitboi wrote:

Brad

No, seriously....🙄

Brad

VERY impressive.

Brad

Don't get too jealous
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit🤯
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Cheater" Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Auraix wrote:
In my high school marching band, everyone uses either a 3c or 1.5c mouthpiece. I however use a system blue, upon the first day of band camp, the clinician that was working with the trumpets said he was "glad to see no one was using a cheater mouthpiece" until he saw mine and winced.

That was 2 months ago, and even now I feel guilty that I use it, hence is why I used to switch to a 1.5c every now then, which I stopped doing because of different issues.

So I would like to know opinions on different mouthpiece. Is it wrong that I'm using a "cheater" mouthpiece while everyone uses a different kind?

And personally I would like to know if it is bad to develop my chops on a mouthpiece where it is easier to hit high notes as opposed to a mouthpiece where it takes more effort to hit a high note. Should I practice on a different mouthpiece for fundamentals or should I stick to what I prefer to use?

My goodness. That director is so wrong!!! I find people like him to almost be a "pox on the spirit of the trumpet". When I hear or read such matters I have to fight off the urge to weep. If I'm in public during such encounters? I might reach for a pair of sunglasses just to cover my eyes.

Here are some of the reasons why this director is so wrong.

1. It is still possible to get a full, fat sound in both the middle and lower registers on even the shallowest mouthpieces. All that it takes is plenty of time to get conditioned to the new piece. That and probably some kind of back-bore and throat modification. Typical "screamer pieces" have a way too tight throat. It is this thin channel which produces the edgy tone thar the director doesn't approve. Not the shallow cup.

2. If most standard mouthpieces like the Bach 7C were only too deep and excessively wide of inner rim dimension they wouldn't be half bad. Unfortunately they come with both a flattish rim contour and a sharp inner rim edge. The flat rim and sharp inner rim edge or "bite" can literally fold the upper lip of most trumpet players. Then cut the lip(s) as the performance continues. Even lower lips aren't immune to these perverse conditions. Ever see that whitish rim circle on most dedicated trumpet players? You won't see that on me. Not even after a three hour lead trumpet gig filled with G's above high C. Because I won't play Vincent Bach mouthpieces.

Bach mouthpieces have given 3rd Cornet players nasty "ring-around-the-lip" on even the easiest charts. The contrast to my own work is stark. A Spring gig which I play every year is a good example. The 3rd Cornet part never goes above G top/staff. And yet his lips are visibly badly swollen with that infamous "ring-round--lip" visible from a significant distance. Meanwhile my own lips which just finished a three hour piccollo trumpet gig with dozens of high F's and G"s? Shows no evidence that I even play trumpet.

3. The trumpet player who can perform and practice longer hours is the one who improves the most quickly. This is really kind of a "no-brainer" really, huh? As if your equipment allows easier access to the upper register? You're not only going to impress more audiences with your lead playing ability but you will similarly improve all aspects of the kind of technique which bandleaders seek out.

4. Trumpet players who get paid for their work tend to have good upper registers. This fact is so obvious that it probably needs little explanation. Lol lots of classically trained trumpet players tend to sightread a little better than I do. However none have ever taken a lead chair gig away from me. Seriously! What good is the ability to sight-read a Charlie Parker bebop piece at 200mm if you can't blow a solid high C?

5. Similarly what good is excellent reading skills if your endurance is so weak that you can't finish the gig?

I remember a New Years Eve gig from 2012. We were hired for just two sets but due to a scheduling problem? We ended up playing four sets. Hey, it was murder. Although I was playing lead both the second and third chair players were cooked after the second set. It was a book which featured mostly Stan Kenton material. In other words? High notes, hard blowing!

As the third set started I still had some high notes left. High D anyway but no one else could even get above the staff. Basically it was down to the 4th chair player covering all jazz ad lib solos and myself playing lead. Just he and I. As the two other cats were too tired to get a note out of their horns. Finally came midnight and "Auld Lang's Syne". It was the saxes, trombones, rhythm section and myself blowing solo melody! Even the fourth player had to rest. Then we took a break and played the last set. While the 4th trumpet could still blow decent jazz and cover a tutti section here and there
along with me? Basically I was keeping the trumpet section going. Though my high C was almost gone I still played the lead believeably.

My point being: that the mouthpiece which gets the job done is usually the best choice for a musical ensemble.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not getting a ring from playing trumpet, you're doing something wrong. I would actually get some kind of safe nonpermanent marker and draw it on if you dont have it
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the sentiment given here, the whole discussion is predicated on a perceived wince given by an instructor upon supposedly looking at a mouthpiece.
It might in reality be nothing to do with the mouthpiece or instructor. Maybe you are self conscious about the mouthpiece? Are you sure the guy winced? Maybe he had something in his eye! You could talk to him about it.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Quit🤯

Probably a good idea.

Brad
GideonJazz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a "cheaters" mouthpiece, but always go with what works best for you. I know some guys who play bach 10c's, so it's all subjective.
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bach symphonic line is good for cheater mouthpieces
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharkbaitboi wrote:
If you're not getting a ring from playing trumpet, you're doing something wrong. I would actually get some kind of safe nonpermanent marker and draw it on if you dont have it
That made me laugh. jw
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auraix wrote:
In my high school marching band, everyone uses either a 3c or 1.5c mouthpiece. I however use a system blue, upon the first day of band camp, the clinician that was working with the trumpets said he was "glad to see no one was using a cheater mouthpiece" until he saw mine and winced.

That was 2 months ago, and even now I feel guilty that I use it, hence is why I used to switch to a 1.5c every now then, which I stopped doing because of different issues.

So I would like to know opinions on different mouthpiece. Is it wrong that I'm using a "cheater" mouthpiece while everyone uses a different kind?

And personally I would like to know if it is bad to develop my chops on a mouthpiece where it is easier to hit high notes as opposed to a mouthpiece where it takes more effort to hit a high note. Should I practice on a different mouthpiece for fundamentals or should I stick to what I prefer to use?

I'm probably not going to add anything new to this that hasn't already been said in the thread, but I want to unpack it a bit based on how I see it.

First things first - there is NO SUCH THING as a "cheater" mouthpiece. Period. End of statement. The next time you run into that "instructor," you have every right to tell them that a whole bunch of pro-level players say that he's patently wrong.

It's actually harder to use a shallower, smaller mouthpiece because your chops have to be more developed to use them effectively - it's a different approach. Frankly, IMO it's hard to get a brassy, brash sound on something like a 1.5C.

This last weekend I played a Christmas Cantata at a church, and most of the gig I played on Warburton lead setup listed in my signature. Why? Because there was a lot of upper register stuff in my part, and it was easier for me to play those lines softly - the church space was small, and I needed to keep my volume down in that context. Did I cheat, or did I just get the job done? I wouldn't have gotten any extra points for using my bigger mouthpiece, and my pay was going to be the same regardless. From a sound perspective, it may have been a bit brighter, but it wasn't a bad sound and it worked in the context of what we were doing.

So no, DO NOT feel guilty about using that particular mouthpiece. There's no such thing as cheating - you're either playing the part and making music or your aren't - the equipment you do it on is irrelevant provided it doesn't hinder your sound or accuracy.

With that in mind, use what works - if it's what works, how is that cheating? I have a selection of mouthpieces I use depending on the horn and context - it's mostly just the two listed in my signature, but I use a Pickett 3C with my C trumpet, and a Bach 2.5C with my Eb/D.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
marathoner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching "Chase" live (in-person) I was utterly amazed ! I was a junior in high school. Then I heard about "cheater" mouthpieces and someone told me, "Yeah, that's how they all can hit the high notes so easily". I was so excited to find the "Keys to the High Note Kingdom". I went to my local music store , grabbed an "a" cup Schilke mouthpiece and proceeded to not even be able to play a note - let alone a High C. End of "Cheater" story for me ! Moral - no shortcuts, just utter respect for the dedication required to play at that level !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: