• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Blowing the Dust Off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashenfang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Blowing the Dust Off Reply with quote

New member here and excited to find a forum full of trumpet players!

A little background: I played trumpet from middle school all the way through high school - working my way up to lead playing positions in concert band, jazz band and marching band. Toward the end of high school I also played soprano in Drum and Bugle Corps.

Shortly thereafter, I met my wife, we had kids and the horn was put away for many years where I eventually sold it, thinking I would never pick it up again. Fast forward 15 year later, I am now 37 wanting to play again. The urge was sparked when my church's music director approached me, wanting to add more elements to the music program. He had heard (through my wife) that I played trumpet. Now I am excited to get back into it.

Apparently they have a Bach 37 that is being cleaned/serviced for me to play on, but I also wanted to have a horn that I knew would be 100% available to practice with at home. Yesterday, on a whim, I was able to find a Yamaha YTR 2030. Not a professional trumpet by any means, but a solid horn for practicing with. Best part was I picked it up for $100. It's a little rough on the exterior but after a bath, plays very nice.

Anyway, like others who have returned from a long hiatus, building the chops/endurance back up is what I am working on now. I was actually fearful that after 15 years, I would place the horn to my face and nothing would happen. But, like riding a bike, you never forget - just rusty To my surprise, I was able to perform a few scales taking me just below the staff to just above (G). Ten minutes into it and my lips were numb but at least I knew the ability was still there.

What I am struggling with at this point is mouthpiece selection. When I played previously, I typically played on a 5C for concert band and a Schilke 14A4A for Jazz/Marching. I was able to get excellent tone and volume from both of the pieces but certainly used the 14A much more - it just felt "comfortable" to me because I have thinner lips. The only reason I used the 5C was because my director at the time referred to these as "cheaters" and prohibited their use. With the thinner lips, the C cups made my lips feel like they were "flapping in the breeze" and would tire easier. I know our body/faces change physically as we age and I am not sure if going back to this mouthpiece is the best idea or if I should explore other alternatives.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The infamous “cheater mouthpiece” has been discussed here many times, there is even a recent thread about it.

If there was a mouthpiece that enabled you to “cheat”, and do things that you were otherwise not capable of, many of us would buy two of them, I would buy three.😎 It’s certainly possible that your past director did not like the sound you were getting on the 14a4a, but it’s also very possible that he based the “cheater ban” on nothing more than the fact that you were using a mouthpiece category that he thought was inappropriate. There’s a good chance that had a blind comparison been done, the results may have been different than his assumptions.

It sounds as if the 14a4a worked well for you in the past, that’s probably a good place to start again, and a bonus is you no longer have that director telling you not to use it!

Good luck, welcome to TH!

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
ashenfang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
The infamous “cheater mouthpiece” has been discussed here many times, there is even a recent thread about it.
If there was a mouthpiece that enabled you to “cheat”, and do things that you were otherwise not capable of, many of us would buy two of them, I would buy three.😎
It sounds as if the 14a4a worked well for you in the past, that’s probably a good place to start again, and a bonus is you no longer have that director telling you not to use it!

Good luck, welcome to TH!

Brad

Yes! I just read through that particular thread. Being an adult now, I am fully aware of the true mechanics that are involved in the relationship between the lips and the mouthpiece. The whole "cheater" thing is hogwash. I was merely viewing this as "do we change that much physically" as we age that a mouthpiece which worked before, wouldn't work today? Plus, I hate to spend money on something that isn't going to work
ohnecael

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Blowing the Dust Off Reply with quote

ashenfang wrote:

A little background: I played trumpet from middle school all the way through high school - working my way up to lead playing positions in concert band, jazz band and marching band. Toward the end of high school I also played soprano in Drum and Bugle Corps.

Which corps did you march for and what years? I love me some vintage drum corps and hope to march contra somewhere in the good ol' midwest.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schilke 14aA4a may have its place for some players in some settings but there are a great many settings where most players truly don't sound their best with these shallow pieces. At the same time, I consider the Bach 5C rim to be relatively uncomfortable. I'd hazard that you will be able to find a better option than either of these. A Schilke (or Yamaha) B cup might be a place to start.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
ashenfang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing the Dust Off Reply with quote

ohnecael wrote:
ashenfang wrote:

Which corps did you march for and what years? I love me some vintage drum corps and hope to march contra somewhere in the good ol' midwest.

Glassmen, 1999-2001.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashenfang wrote:
I was merely viewing this as "do we change that much physically" as we age that a mouthpiece which worked before, wouldn't work today? Plus, I hate to spend money on something that isn't going to work :)

This is STILL an individual thing! Many embouchures evolve and change due to the rigors of life, dental issues and various internal and external causes.

I played daily on a Reeves 41S695 and the previous version 1S695 from 1971 until 2000. After a 14 year hiatus, I used the same equipment to start up again in June of 2014. Making a few changes in my mouthpiece due mostly to the requirements of my very different playing environment, I still use the Reeves 41 Rim but with different Bottom sections to fit the specific sound requirements.

BTW, I played Solo Soprano in the Arabi, LA Stardusters D&B Corps from 1963 until 1968!

Best Wishes,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashenfang wrote:

Yes! I just read through that particular thread. Being an adult now, I am fully aware of the true mechanics that are involved in the relationship between the lips and the mouthpiece. The whole "cheater" thing is hogwash. I was merely viewing this as "do we change that much physically" as we age that a mouthpiece which worked before, wouldn't work today? Plus, I hate to spend money on something that isn't going to work

Yes, but ...

1.) Our lips change significantly when we age, but at 37 you're probably not anywhere near that, yet.

2.) Not sure what a certified, bona fide mpc consultant might say -- and you might want to consult one -- depending on more than a few things, including how much you'll be playing and the sound that you are seeking -- you might try starting back on something a little smaller than a 14, like a Shilke 9-something for a few or several weeks. Then, a little bigger (¿11?) until you get to where you want to be.

Think about soft and very soft playing for most exercises and routines and think about keeping rehearsals and performances at about 80% until you know that you're really back.

-Denny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: