• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

E-Z Bucket vs. Soulo Bucket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: E-Z Bucket vs. Soulo Bucket Reply with quote

I'm on a mute kick and I need a bucket mute. I've narrowed down my choices between the two listed in the title.

If anyone has experience with BOTH of these mutes I would appreciate ur feedback based on sound, flexibility, ease of on and off, etc.

I am ONLY interested in these two mutes. Thanks in advance!!

Butch
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I actually have both in my collecion of way to many mutes.

I prefer the Eazy Bucket.. easy on, easy off, AND a very nice, consistent sound which sounds like a bucket mute. The only thing I would point out, is that there are different sizes. For commercial work I've been playing a Bach Commercial trumpet which has a slighly larger bell-the standard sized Eazy Bucket fits but is snug and noticabley small.. I did purchase a larger one which does the trick.
I've seen he's making a leather version, would love to try one.

The Soulo is a very light thing that fits well, but I will admit I've dropped in a couple times while trying to put it on at a gig. I like the way it plays and sounds, but I think it doesn't sound like many other bucket mutes. So, I'm less fond of using it in a section and religate it more for solo/combo work. But then again, I've been carrying the eazy mute.
You can adjust the clips to fit different bell sizes, fitting well on my 37 means it's tight on my 1B and loose on my cornet.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: E-Z Bucket vs. Soulo Bucket Reply with quote

zaferis

Thanks for ur reply! I sent an email to E-Z Bucket regarding their sizes and received a VERY quick reply! Since I play an Yamaha 8310Z with a 5" bell he said to order a 4 7/8" mute and he will adjust/stretch it to the 5" diameter for me. I'm now wondering if I should follow thru on that OR simply stay with the original 4 7/8" since I do play my Bach 72* on occasion which has the 4 7/8" bell.

Since ur familiar with this mute...which would you do...stretch or non-stretch? The non-stretch is only an 1/8" difference. Does that affect how the clips fit easily...or is it more of a situation where the mute doesn't fully cover the entire bell on a 5" bell but the clips still function properly???

Thanks in advance for ur expertise!!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 7/8 will be fine.. fits most bells and will "stretch" if needed.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: E-Z Bucket vs. Soulo Bucket Reply with quote

zaferis

Thank you VERY much. Gonna order one right now!!!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "bucket mute" must be the most schizophrenic mute out there, there are so many different versions/sound concepts.

I always thought that the "classic" bucket mute sound was produced by the Humes & Berg Velvetone. If you want that "classic" sound then you can forget the Soulo Bucket, it's not even close. I was very disappointed in the Soulo Bucket

Another option is the Jo-Ral Bucket that is inserted into the bell like a cup mute. Among "bucket mutes" (whatever that means) it's probably the easiest to use but it's a pretty squirrelly mute. I have a love-hate relationship with the Jo-Ral Bucket. It's very easy to use, which is great, but it doesn't produce the classic Humes and Berg sound, it has intonation issues and it's easy to pop up to the next partial, things that are not so great.

I have no experience with the E-Z Bucket. That being said, I can't imagine anything that wouldn't be better than the Soulo Bucket.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both and use them often, and have owned most every bucket model. I like the EZ Bucket the most by far, it has great tone, response, and intonation. I have an older model, and have broken 2 of the bell clips, but I used a drill, bolts, and curved pieces of metal (covered with rubber) to fix it.
I still keep the Soulo, because it offers a different color palette than most any other mute. You can make yet another unique kind of sound by putting a straight mute in the bell, and the Soulo over it....umm, and I also cracked the Soulo, it’s not terribly durable...
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the EZ in leather.

Great sound, easy to use and looks good.

I don't have a Soulo, but have the H&B and the Jo-Ral and some other old weird thing that sits on the shelf as a curiosity.

If I lost them all the first replacement I'd buy is the EZ.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Soulo bucket mute. I've not tried the E-Z. I like the Soulo mute. But for me, it sounds like something between a traditional H&B bucket mute and a cup mute.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Another option is the Jo-Ral Bucket that is inserted into the bell like a cup mute. Among "bucket mutes" (whatever that means) it's probably the easiest to use but it's a pretty squirrelly mute. I have a love-hate relationship with the Jo-Ral Bucket. It's very easy to use, which is great, but it doesn't produce the classic Humes and Berg sound, it has intonation issues and it's easy to pop up to the next partial, things that are not so great.

A local store had a huge sale before closing down and I managed to try all the different Jo-Ral; buckets, Aluminium and with brass and copper bases. (Carrying this much stock in every conceivable variant no doubt led to its demise)

Of the three, the copper was really good, but the brass then all aluminium quite odd., not responding in lower or higher nots, as you say, squirrely... so the crash price of $25 was quite nice!

cheers

Andy
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZ Bucket is my favorite. Easier to install than the H&B, better sounding than the JoRal. But I too had clips break off and had to MacGyver them back on. I've been told that the design is improved but have yet to score a newer model.

Intrigued about the Soulo but am discouraged by some the reviews regarding sound. I'll definitely try one when I can.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZ Bucket all the way for me. Great sound, easy to use. The new leather version looks interesting.

I have the original Soulo bucket. Didn’t care for the sound-sounded harsh. And the clips were cumbersome. I hear a new version has been released that has a different padding, so that might have addressed the sound issue. I haven’t tried the update so I can’t comment on it.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

I always thought that the "classic" bucket mute sound was produced by the Humes & Berg Velvetone.

Hi

I've always thought so too. I can never understand why people seem to think that the H&B one is hard to put on and take off. I have the hand/eye coordination of a yak, and have absolutely no problems with my H&B. Admittedly the OP doesn't want to discuss other mutes, but if it is the ease of putting on/taking off which is putting him off the H&B, then all I can say, is that the H&B is not that difficult to use in my opinion.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the newer manufacture of the E-Z Bucket and I can't imagine breaking off the tabs. It appears to be bullet-proof short of stepping on it. It is also very easy to attach and remove, which is a must-have in pit work...

HTH

Ben
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the older EZ Buckets were a bit sensitive on the clips, but I have heard the new ones are very tough. It took a lot of use, including multiple drops, for that clip to get damaged (I realized that I only broke 1 clip, but I reinforced the other horizontal clip when I fixed the broken one). Comparatively, my Soulo bucket cracked with very little (unintentional) effort.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: E-Z Bucket vs. Soulo Bucket Reply with quote

I want to thank all of you for ur responses to my post!! They were very helpful. I ordered an E-Z Bucket directly from the company. Fantastic customer service...VERY quick return emails. "Kevin" contacted me today and told me it was shipped out today and I will have it by Thurs. Can't wait to try it!!

Again...thanks to all!

Butch
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Butch.

I realize I'm reviving an old thread, but I'm looking at a leather Eazy Bucket mute from Dillon's. The three size choices are Standard, 5 1/4", and 5 5/8". But, what diameter is Standard? 5"? 4 7/8"?

Thanks.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answering my own question, Standard is 4 7/8".

I bought one from Dillon's and it's great! Very pleasant muted sound with an easy blow and without messing up the intonation.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joining the party too late but here we go: just took delivery of a brand new Eazy Bucket I got from someone who may not even be a trumpet player (given the price he was asking …). Took me five seconds to adjust and I really like both the playability and the sound. Will need to spend more time with it to learn about the finer details but this thing is way (!!!!) better than anything bucket-y I have tried in the past, in particular if factoring in the Eazy part of the mute. Very, very nice mute.

Only bummer is that the bells of the Conn and the Hüttl are too large (but I knew that beforehand).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my 2nd Eazy bucket a while ago. So far no broken clips. My only gripe now is that despite measuring my bell and ordering accordingly the mute seems barely big enough to fit my bell. To be specific the outer clips just barely reach the widest part of the bell. As a consequence if I'm not careful handling the horn sometimes the mute flys off. Not the sort of thing you want in a performance.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: