• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best place to remove silver plating and then lacquer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Best place to remove silver plating and then lacquer Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like to have the silver-plating removed from a couple of my horns and then have them lacquered. One horn is a shires and the other is a yamaha. My skin just doesn't tolerate the silver anymore and my silver-plated horns look 50+ years old even though they're relatively new. The plating is even starting to flake off of the shires that's only 2 years old!

By contrast, I have several lacquer horns from 10-25 years of age that look perfectly fine, and I play them more often than the silverplated horns. I think this issue is specific to my body chemistry, and it's changed over time.

Where's the best place to get this done? Is this even worth it or should I just sell the horns "as-is" to get rid of them? It's to the point where playing them is actually unpleasant.

Thanks!
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an old Benge a few years ago that had most of the silver plate gone.
Sent it to Anderson's to have it completely removed, then to a tech for lacquer
coating.
If you like the way they play, have it done...otherwise get rid of them.
My 2 cents...peace!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my Committee lacquered also at Anderson's (by way of Osmun Music) and it's gorgeous.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Stripping silver plate and re-lacquering it Reply with quote

I recently had a horn that I made several years ago that the owner wanted re-done in gold plate as the original gold was virtually gone and nothing but silver was left. If you've checked the price of plating a trumpet in gold lately you might gasp. The owner decided he could settle for gold tint lacquer and off it went to Anderson Plating for stripping, buffing and lacquer. The results were wonderful, the turn-around was fast and the price was very reasonable. A big yes to Anderson!

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: