• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bb to Eb conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeGreeninger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Bb to Eb conversion Reply with quote

Here are some pictures from my latest build. I started with a Yamaha YTR2320 purchased from shopgoodwill.com and a CG Conn Eb bell that I had lying around for past year or so.

All the best,
Mike
TrumpetDan79
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job!!!

Would you be so kind as to share your Eb slide measurements?

I'm wanting to do this with another cluster, but don't know how long the inner/outer tubes/ferrules should be on the slides.

Dan
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive done several Bb-Eb conversions, trying out most of the commonly available parts. This one is by far the best:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0iJRveFpJRiLJW

Its a Bach Ml body, 25 pipe almost full Bb length, getzen severinsen bell, weird little tuning slide made of to curved pieces. I never clean up my mess if the horn in my mind is still "experimental" although this one has not changed much in 15 years or so. It plays as good as anything pretty much. Sound and pitch real nice. The brace at the receiver is strategically placed, and the leadpipe length took a lot of experimenting.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
MikeGreeninger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetDan79 wrote:
Great job!!!

Would you be so kind as to share your Eb slide measurements?

I'm wanting to do this with another cluster, but don't know how long the inner/outer tubes/ferrules should be on the slides.

Dan

I'm out of town right now, but when I get back I'll put them up.

Mike
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in college in the '80s my brass prof had a Getzen Eterna Bb cut down to Eb. Said prof had studied with Charlie Schlueter, and explained that his cut-down horn was a proof-of-concept prototype that Schlueter had sold to him.

The horn played quite well, though it only had about a half-inch of main tuning-slide pull, had to be partially disassembled to fit in the case, and had all the cosmetic flaws of a prototype.

After graduating I attended the Tanglewood Brass Quintet program and remember seeing a "Brass-Spectacular" concert, featuring the Empire Brass Quintet, the Canadian Brass Quintet, and the BSO brass section. Sitting out in the grass during a rehearsal for the concert, I specifically remember Schueter's Eb trumpet attracting some attention from Fred Mills, Ronald Romm, and Tim Morrison. Though it was beautifully finished in what looked like gold plate, the proportions looked very familiar.

The cut-down horn I had held and played a bit in college definitely had the original bell, with most of the tail cut off, and the original tuning slide. The bottom leg of the tuning slide, male and female, had been cut down to less than an inch. The leadpipe assembly was removable, via pretty crude attachments (I vaguely recall a hose clamp), just so the horn could fit in in the original (modified) Getzen case.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to see the Chicago Chamber Brass perform in the mid-1980s, the trumpet players were using D/Eb trumpets converted from Getzen Capri Bbs. IIRC, they had an E3L-style lead pipe, but used a fixed bell and a tuning mouthpipe; similar to the later long-bell Selmers. I could be mistaken, but I believe the conversions were done by someone named Peterson; there was a D in the Marketplace last year...

HTH

Ben
MikeGreeninger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dan, here are the valve slide measurements in mm.

All the best,
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: