• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tongue arch?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That make sense. I was wondering if it wasn't some kind of saddle shape. I can't really tell whats going on those MRI videos. Like is that here sinuses or her eyes?
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are sooo there
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
That make sense. I was wondering if it wasn't some kind of saddle shape. I can't really tell whats going on those MRI videos. Like is that here sinuses or her eyes?

https://i.postimg.cc/kG9MFds6/Anterior-View-Sarah-Willis.jpg

You'll definitely want to click on the image to open it up full-size in a separate window. Sorry about the 1st grader penmanship - I just learned that it is nearly impossible (at least for me) to write using the pencil thing in Microsoft Paint!

In this section of one of the videos (it's already queued up to the right spot), the scientist points out the anatomical features to Sarah as she watches the video (probably a lot more helpful than my Kindergarten writing above):

https://youtu.be/ctyzYXd6HNw?t=602

Cheers,

John
Jason Rogers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Tongue Arch Reply with quote

Simply put:
If you are an expert at whistling---you are an expert at tongue arch---the concept works the same when trumpet playing---
Schilke
Getzen
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you are an expert at whistling---you are an expert at tongue arch---the concept works the same when trumpet playing

Not exactly. Many can arch the tongue and whistle. That does not make them skilled at producing trumpet tone.
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Fellow Trumpet Players, as a Historian (not Physics) I enjoyed reading this resurrected thread,

Re the big debate

John Mohan wrote
Quote:
a certain amount of air pressure must be reached to click the note to the next level and then that pressure can be relaxed. A simple example is a light switch - one can move that switch a few millimeters before anything happens, and then suddenly a point is reached where the light clicks on.

I'm assuming the crux of the matter is that Kalijah would substitute the words "air pressure" with "firmness or tension" if I have understood it right?

Kalijah wrote
Quote:
The aperture also really does not change in size that much from low to high. The "firmness" or "tension" however, varies DRASTICALY. And it is the aperture muscles that control this.

And moving on:

John Mohan wrote
Quote:
Practicing the correct material correctly is what is absolutely necessary in my opinion

Anyone ready to expand on this comment?

I am working with Flexus Flexibility studies (page 29) when you play for example c and b flat above the staff alternating with lower notes at bottom of staff. Any other tips on correct material correctly?

Cheers and Best Wishes Steve in Helsinki

PS Finland's Independence Day Today so all the flags are proudly flying.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve0930 wrote:
... Re the big debate ...

---------------------
Yes there is debate, but it seems to be mostly a 'chicken & egg' situation.
The 'tension & firmness' and the 'necessary air pressure' are intertwined - too much/little of EITHER will not work, they have to be coordinated.

The player needs to develop the necessary feeling (sensations) of BOTH embouchure control, and air pressure/flow.

Tension & firmness will establish the air pressure needed to produce air flow and sound.
Maintainined air pressure & flow will establish the needed tension & firmness.

edit: I call this duality my "unified theory of pitch control"
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tension & firmness will establish the air pressure needed to produce air flow and sound.

Not true. Air pressure is established by the lung air pressure and the exhalation effort.

Quote:
Maintained air pressure & flow will establish the needed tension & firmness.

Not true. The "tension and firmness" controls the pitch. The air pressure and flow can vary significantly with dynamic changes on a constant pitch.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Quote:

Not true. Air pressure is established by the lung air pressure and the exhalation effort.

Quote:
Maintained air pressure & flow will establish the needed tension & firmness.

Not true. The "tension and firmness" controls the pitch. The air pressure and flow can vary significantly with dynamic changes on a constant pitch.

In this instance I really think you're misunderstanding Jay's post. Of course, it's possible that I'm misunderstanding him, but I think if you replace "establish" with "dictate" it's more in line with what he's trying to get across.

Maybe?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acritzer wrote:

In this instance I really think you're misunderstanding Jay's post. Of course, it's possible that I'm misunderstanding him, but I think if you replace "establish" with "dictate" it's more in line with what he's trying to get across.

Maybe?

--------------------------
yes - 'dictate' is a better word to describe what I meant. I'm having difficulty finding the best wording - perhaps 'regulate' ? - anyone have a better suggestion!
Using the 'right words' can be very important to avoid misunderstanding, and this situation is a good example.

The 'lip tension / firmness / resistance' needs to be coordinated with the 'air pressure / flow'.
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all

I m a big fan of Mr Harrelson (he is so ernest and wants to help)so if you need some free face time from the horn this video was good on aperture control. I m not sure all his physics are right..eg what he says on air speed and pressure ..but he gives very practical examples of the embouchure lip tension that Kalijah references. (He also demos the whisper c above staff at end) Link at the bottom.

By the way for those of you who have not yet worked it out you will be hard pressed to find a better expert to explain the physics of the Trumpet than the aforementioned Kalija.

https://youtu.be/Z7jRoU7G2aM

Cheers and stay safe.. Steve in Helsinki

PS one of my boys just back from Univ so tonight we went to buy the Christmas tree. My instinct said it was good to involve Santeri and sure enough just before we placed said tree in the car he proceeded to cut off half an inch from base.. something I have never thought to do..
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrelson touts what he calls the "aperture controlled embouchure" which encourages to literally limit the lateral (side to side) lip vibration to control pitch. That is a recipe for weak high tones, which he demonstrates.

My approach is quite different than Harrelson.

Players with solid high tones use rim to rim vibration and simply add "stiffness" in the smallest amounts to control pitch. Lyn Nicholson is also a proponent of rim-to-rim vibration.
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh that was quick thanks Darryl,

Quote:
simply add "stiffness" in the smallest amounts to control pitch

sits well with my mind set / current approach so relief to read that.

Jason H does talk about shortening the lip length in this video and I wasn't quite sure how that is achieved - turn's out I don't have to worry..

cheers Steve

PS At school I manged to get a "B" (Yes!) in O level (aged 16) physics but that was only by avoiding questions with numbers in them.
hnewbold

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting
motohead400

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead but I'll have to say that I agree with kalijah and his logic on the tongue arch. I've spent much time experimenting with it and it does absolutely nothing for me. I have a feeling this is something that equates to weight lifters having strained expressions on their face. It's like saying, well, every professional weight lifter has an obvious strained expression on their face when lifting weights, so that is part of what it takes to lift heavy weights. That's obviously not the case but they pretty much always go hand in hand and it's just a byproduct of straining. I think that for many trumpet players moving the tongue up is likewise just a byproduct of what happens when they firm up their embouchure (more likely moving the jaw up in conjunction with the tongue). Think about what happens when you double tongue with tu ku tu ku at the top of your mouth, especially on the ku. If the arched position of the tongue really affected the pitch, your pitch would be up and down when double tonguing as the tongue gets closer and further away from the roof of the mouth but that's not at all what happens. I'd say that right there is proof the tongue does nothing to the pitch. I currently play with an incredibly strong lead player (he played with the Glen Miller orchestra many years ago). He agrees that tongue position doesn't help at all.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light is both waves and particles. It depends on what you test for. Same in discussions like this. You can do it both ways or a little of one and a lot of the other. Equipment can aid in this. The more open the equipment, the easier to use the tongue arch. The other issue is that most players are not aware of what they are doing.

So both camps are right. Quite a rare occurrence in disputes.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

motohead400 wrote:
I know I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead but I'll have to say that I agree with kalijah and his logic on the tongue arch. I've spent much time experimenting with it and it does absolutely nothing for me. I have a feeling this is something that equates to weight lifters having strained expressions on their face. It's like saying, well, every professional weight lifter has an obvious strained expression on their face when lifting weights, so that is part of what it takes to lift heavy weights. That's obviously not the case but they pretty much always go hand in hand and it's just a byproduct of straining. I think that for many trumpet players moving the tongue up is likewise just a byproduct of what happens when they firm up their embouchure (more likely moving the jaw up in conjunction with the tongue). Think about what happens when you double tongue with tu ku tu ku at the top of your mouth, especially on the ku. If the arched position of the tongue really affected the pitch, your pitch would be up and down when double tonguing as the tongue gets closer and further away from the roof of the mouth but that's not at all what happens. I'd say that right there is proof the tongue does nothing to the pitch. I currently play with an incredibly strong lead player (he played with the Glen Miller orchestra many years ago). He agrees that tongue position doesn't help at all.

Welcome to TH.

Since you are new here, a bit of unsolicited advice.

First, paragraph breaks are your friend. Big blocks of text are harder to read.

Second, expect some blowback when you adopt an all-or-nothing position. In this case, there is a lot about tongue arch (any upward movement of the tongue, including anchor tonguing) which is not fully understood. Plus, some of the best pros in the business advocate some sort of tongue arch. They aren't all clueless.

Third, you are misinterpreting Kalijah. He does not say that tongue arch doesn't work. Instead, he says that tongue arch does not work in the way that proponents claim.

Jeff
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:

Thank you.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
motohead400

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:

Welcome to TH.

Since you are new here, a bit of unsolicited advice.

Second, expect some blowback when you adopt an all-or-nothing position. In this case, there is a lot about tongue arch (any upward movement of the tongue, including anchor tonguing) which is not fully understood. Plus, some of the best pros in the business advocate some sort of tongue arch. They aren't all clueless.

Third, you are misinterpreting Kalijah. He does not say that tongue arch doesn't work. Instead, he says that tongue arch does not work in the way that proponents claim.

Jeff

You're right about the block text, sorry about that. I almost always separate things out. I blame it on the horrible night of insomnia I had the previous night

I know there are multiple big name players that are huge advocates for a tongue arch and consider it an absolute necessity. Allen Vizzutti and Jens Lindeman are a few that immediately come to mind. Obviously both some extraordinary players most would consider to be among the best. In fact, the first mention I ever heard of a tongue arch was from a master class Jens Lindeman did I attended back in 1999ish. At that time I had already been studying with Fred Mills for several years (who I never once heard mention tongue arch).

Once again, there is no question about the skills these folks have on trumpet, and obviously they are able to play very well arching their tongue. That doesn't mean arching the tongue is necessary for them to play like they do though. It's just what they've been doing for a long time.

As I mentioned, I think tonguing is the most simple proof showing that arching the tongue doesn't affect the pitch. Especially if you anchor tongue like Vizzutti advocates for. You are literally arching your tongue to tongue with that method. Why doesn't your pitch go up every time you tongue? Because that doesn't affect the pitch like people think it does.

I have no doubt that arching the tongue changes the pitch for some people. I also am confident that the reason is because in doing so they're actually changing their embouchure with the movement (most likely bringing the jaw up). That or just cutting off airflow, likely keeping them from overblowing, which makes it easier to close up your embouchure aperture and thus go higher.

I've seen much mentioned about air speed, and the thumb over the end of the hose analogy. The tongue would make sense for air speed if you positioned your mouthpiece on the gap between your tongue and the roof of your mouth instead of your lips. However, the hole you form with your lips is the thumb on the hose. Along that same logic take a garden hose set to spray in a tight jet. While you're spraying start kinking the hose itself (basically what you are doing with a tongue arch). That doesn't make the water come out as if the nozzle got tighter or really change the pattern of how it comes out at all. All it does is cut off flow.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motohead400 wrote:
... they're actually changing their embouchure with the movement ...

---------------------
IMO - that's it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: