• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wow...amazed at how fast things can come back!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashenfang

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Wow...amazed at how fast things can come back! Reply with quote

So, last Monday I picked the horn backup after 15 years. I found a YTR2330 with a 7C MP for $100 just to get acclimated to playing again. Monday night was rough. I could barely make a sound after 10 minutes of scales/long tones. But I kept at it each day, practicing for 20-30 minutes in clumps. Today, I played for a total of 1 hour - without feeling tired. Range tops out at double C reliably/clean. Can squeak out a Double G. I am amazed at how our brains/lips can reconnect after so many years! Still taking it slow to build more endurance and technique.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow...amazed at how fast things can come back! Reply with quote

ashenfang wrote:
So, last Monday I picked the horn backup after 15 years. I found a YTR2330 with a 7C MP for $100 just to get acclimated to playing again. Monday night was rough. I could barely make a sound after 10 minutes of scales/long tones. But I kept at it each day, practicing for 20-30 minutes in clumps. Today, I played for a total of 1 hour - without feeling tired. Range tops out at double C reliably/clean. Can squeak out a Double G. I am amazed at how our brains/lips can reconnect after so many years! Still taking it slow to build more endurance and technique.

Wow your range must have been like c10 15 years ago.

You should probably start writing your book soon, I’m sure all the comeback players would just love to have that dbl. c back a few weeks sooner. It takes most of us a few months at a minimum.

I’m just so happy you ‘got it back’ so quickly🎉 . Let us know when the triple CCC get here.🤩😉
Rod
ashenfang

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. No book here. One thing that I have noticed though is my EM has changed from what I remember. When I was younger, I had a problem with “puffing” the cheeks when going above top staff G. That is no longer the case. It’s the exact opposite where the corners of my mouth tighten even more - if I begin to puff I lose it. My range 15 years ago stopped at a double G. Squeeking a little higher. I will admit though, technique needs some polishing especially around octive slurs and being more precise with tonguing.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashenfang wrote:
Lol. No book here. One thing that I have noticed though is my EM has changed from what I remember. When I was younger, I had a problem with “puffing” the cheeks when going above top staff G. That is no longer the case. It’s the exact opposite where the corners of my mouth tighten even more - if I begin to puff I lose it. My range 15 years ago stopped at a double G. Squeeking a little higher. I will admit though, technique needs some polishing especially around octive slurs and being more precise with tonguing.

Man if you can say this with a straight face 🙂 and know that a dbl. c is 7 lines or so above the staff and that double g is above that, and have been back all of a week *-* even if you had a double g 15 years ago ( and that’s as rare as duck hair) you should really really consider that book 🤑💰🎺🤩 HA
Rod
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible the OP is confusing the terminology as to what is "high" and what is "double high"?

Someone hitting double high Gs 15 years ago would likely be someone whose name was known around here. That's a pretty rare skill.

Take care,
Marc Speed
ashenfang

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am using the wrong terminology so let me clarify. When I say “double C” I am referring to the “C” one octive above middle staff C. And double G being the G one octive above the G that sits at the top of the staff.
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the terminology of super c to refer to the c eight ledger lines up
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That clears it up. The "C" an octave above the one in the middle of the staff is typically referred to as "high C" with the one an octave above that being referred to as "double high C."

Still, after a 15 year layoff, being able to routinely play a high C after a few weeks of practice is a worthwhile accomplishment.

Take care,
Marc Speed
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 granddaughters who play cornet in middle school. Common parlance there is to call middle-C High-C.
-

Cheer,

Gordon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: