• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Limited vs unlimited register and technique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Limited vs unlimited register and technique Reply with quote

"We are all subject to the the law of limitations as human beings, but there is nothing to prevent us from upholding laws and principles that are limitless. This requires knowledge and understanding of muscular behavior, muscle memory and physical law".

Excerpt page 7,
"Stevens-Costello Triple C Embouchure Technique".

I like to take breaks from.my practice sessions. When taking five minutes off I like to read a piece from Stevens-Costello. I may also substitute other texts such as Reinhardt and Maggio. The reasoning behind today's text was to pull the horn off my chops for a spell. That and feed my soul.

Last Christmas I started changing my embouchure to a variant of Stevens-Costello. My old embouchure actually had some really decent high notes. Regardless however it was still limited in register. In turn the sound ceiling affected other aspects of my technique. And after well over 40 years of playing lead and other styles but not developing much more range? It only seemed fitting to give Stevens-Costello yet another try.

This decision was cemented in stone soon after my dentist told me that I wss about to lose one of my upper, front teeth! Then when it did break off last August I still had something to cling to. It was not fun to lose my front tooth (and with it all of my upper register!!). Indeed the situation was very depressing. However I'm a strong believer that,

"When one door closes? Another one opens".

Thus I redoubled my efforts on Stevens-Costello
Practicing daily like never before. This new chop setting is not affected by the loss of my tooth at all. My chops still sound amateurish but probably not for long. As I like to describe this current level of development as kind of like a strong high school sophomore trumpet player. Though one who has no range limitations at all. While my accuracy and endurance are not what I had only this past June on my old rmbouchure?

Indeed my range and ease of playing high notes is well beyond my former expectations. This is the beauty of Stevens-Costello. While it is frustrating at first to adjust to the physical embouchure changes necessary to build it? The system often guarantees that range will no longer be an encumbrance to my playing. In Stevens-Costello a double C plays about as easily to produce as a mere G top of the staff.

Whereas previously my face turned bright red while blowing high notes? That and the tone basically just quit above high G? Today I can literally "sit" on that high G. Then take it up an octave. The tone is solid too. Though still an immature embouchure it yet still yields a double forte on any note. From Low C to nearly Triple C.

While my new chop setting is a variant of Stevens-Costello it none the less is able to respond to all the suggestions published by Roy Stevens from.back in the day. And just recently I hit another major breakthrough! This my recent ability to really "lock in" to the lower registsr. In Stevens-Costello the upper register is developed first. However as the lower register progresses while still staying connected to the upper? This indicates that the foundation has "cured". Progress is now and will continue to be swift. It is a very exciting stage.

Conversely in all other brass playing systems the student begins in the lower register. Then except for a most fortunate few the upper register never fully developes. Stevens-Costello is not all that complex. In fact it is fairly simple. Yes simple but not easy. The mind plays tricks on me. At times I feel like it's not working. Then a day later it surpasses all my prior expectations. Which is why I like to keep the Stevens textbook at hand whenever I practice. That and a hot pot of coffee.

It's just as important to rest as much as play or practice. Another thought I had just last week goes like this,

"Most musicians woodshed. I would rather DEVELOP as a player".

There's a huge difference between just practicing and seeking development.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: