• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A commercial C trumpet?!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: A commercial C trumpet?! Reply with quote

I know what I'm proposing is taboo, but personally, particular with amplified guitar, bass, etc. being a common venue and keys like E, A, D, G being ubiquitous, why not use a C Trumpet for these engagements?

For exmple, I was thinking that something like a C Bach Stradivarius ML 236 or 229 bell with a 43C leadpipe. I've used C trumpet in commercial gigs when my Bb was being seviced and I thought it worked really well.

EDIT: fixed this post, I'm posting from a cellphone so that may have been why there was a lot of weird junk in the post.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68

Last edited by O00Joe on Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve used C trumpets on both musicals and the occasional rock show in the past. Keep in mind that the configuration you suggested, with a ML bore Bach and the cut-down C Trumpet length 43 pipe, may prove to be a whole different world, from an intonation standpoint, though.

I currently have a pops C with a Sterling Silver 229 bell, that can get quite zippy, as is often required. I have a MK sterling silver rounded Bb-crook large bore slide and a 1980s Monette pipe (frankenhorn, not an original Monette conversion) on the horn, all on a Bach large bore body. At least in my experience, Bach CMLs play well for chamber music and not much else - if you’re on mic, that may not be an issue.

My experience w rock and pop acts on a c involved a Chicago STC-4 Monette, so it’s likely to be a different sound concept than what you were going after.

Schilkes, such as a C7 might fit the bill for what you’re goung after...

Interesting topic!

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a pro who was hired for our church orchestra on lead who liked to play everything on his borrowed Monette C. (At least until he sat on it. But that is another story)

We never had any blending issues.

That said, after playing in the group for years I don't have any issues playing in any of the keys.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen eterna C .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

An interesting topic!

One school of thought says that if its 'your gig' (i.e. you're the only trumpet or you are playing lead trumpet in a section) you should have the power to choose whatever makes the job easiest. If this means playing certain parts on C or Eb or Picc, then some people would call that smart.

However, in my not-insignificant experience of professional commercial playing the idea of using a trumpet in anything other than Bb is going to be met with a great deal of resistance. More often than not I think you'll be told quite bluntly to put it away and get out your Bb trumpet, I speak from experience here.

Whilst it can seem (and in some cases, is) smart, I would not advise any experimentation with the smaller trumpets on commercial gigs (unless you are playing a specific part for 'piccolo' or I guess something that was entitled 'classical trumpet' (even then I'd be slow to move off Bb)). It is a very easy way to lose the gig, irritate the section (if there is one) and draw attention to yourself (which you don't want to do, unless its with your exceptional playing). Maybe you'll get a gig with nice players, who (and this is the best you can hope for) TOLERATE it, but I really don't think there is anyone who will be impressed by it, and for all the hassle it brings- surely it is worth just sticking to the Bb trumpet, like 99.9% of other commercial players do?

I hope this can add to the discussion!
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a jazz gig on c trumpet once. Was pretty hilarious
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy here in DC that exclusively plays C trumpet in his jazz quintet or anywhere else for that matter. He's one of those guys that has another career but plays as well as most pros. While its not the norm, his playing is so good that no one cares what horn he's holding.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: A commercial C trumpet?! Reply with quote

O00Joe wrote:
C Bach Stradivarius ML 236 or 229 bell with a 43C leadpipe.

I had a 43C pipe on my 239 for awhile. Nice pipe, VERY open. Probably would not be commercial at all like the Bb set ups. I think the bore and bell shapes of Bb trumpets plus the extra pipe length help that.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use C on professional “non-legit” jobs all the time, BUT ONLY IF I’m the sole trumpet/cornet/flugel (which I usually am in the bands I work with). Just did it this weekend for a very expensive (and very well-paying) wedding, using a “fluffy” mpc to do soft ceremonial music with a flautist and oboist. It worked extremely well. I’ll also use my regular tpt mpcs for certain things as well. I’m lousy at transposing exposed or technical lines, with a mild case of dyslexia (both musical and written) if I have too many ‘thinking factors’ having to be engaged simultaneously; so it certainly is a crutch, but it just works.
*LukeTrpt*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Strad Reply with quote

Bach Strad 239 with Harrelson heavy trim kit and Monette mouthpiece
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Why? Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
Getzen eterna C .

Regards

Hello Giakara,

I'm a fan of Getzen instrumenst. I own a 700 series trumpet and an 895 flugelhorn.

I'm curious as to why you recommend the Getzen 910. I know it's long-discontinued, and they do not frequently appear on eBay.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lite horn with huge bell fast response and big fat sound plus the best valves , what else you need ; 😉

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
Lite horn with huge bell fast response and big fat sound plus the best valves , what else you need ; 😉

Regards

That's an interesting choice, as many 229-ish bells have a narrower taper than many Bb trumpet bells. I'm experimenting with a Scodwell Bb trumpet right now, it has a bell much like a 229, and it plays quite nicely...
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the Bach Chicago model C trumpet with its lightweight bell and good intonation would be just the ticket for this sort of thing.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
I would think the Bach Chicago model C trumpet with its lightweight bell and good intonation would be just the ticket for this sort of thing.

The Bach Chicago C is not really much lighter than the standard weight C180. I have a standard weight 1968 Bach 239 C that is noticeably lighter than the Chicago. I have compared both side-by-side. I did prefer mine, though it may be due to familiarity.

That said, the Chicago is a fine horn and I think it would work well in a commercial setting. Fast response, clear brilliant tone, stable, and predictable intonation. If I didn't have the horn I have now, I would definitely consider the Chicago.

A Schilke S22C would probably work well, also.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for another reference, my C is a 1960s or 70s vintage Schilke C5L. I’ve never gotten along well with Schilkes, but this one plays much like a really great Bach, but with mostly excellent intonation. I use it for orchestral and commercial jobs, and it works equally well for both.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Schilke C1L fits the bill, especially with the sound post installed. I found it to be plenty zippy when I needed it to be. A recent Bach purchase has filled the need, so I have the Schilke for sale. Not cheap, but a great horn that would meet your needs (ML bore, large bell).
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if playing C trumpet would allow the upper register flexibility of a Bb? Anyway, there are a couple of choices that might fit that bill really well.

The Kanstul 1510 uses the same Bb bell as their 1500. Most think it's an Olds bell, but in-house it's called the "Hal bell," in honor of Hal Oringer who commissioned the first 1500 to be built. The 1510 has very good Bb-like intonation and a Bb sound.

The other choice is the Flip Oakes C trumpet, which has the same bell as the Wild Thing, great intonation and both a square tuning slide for legit work and a round slide for smoother response.

These are not typically thought of as orchestral C trumpets (except by those who play them!), but they are both really good horns in C.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Eterna C bell Reply with quote

giakara wrote:

Regards

LOL. For someone at my skill level, Getzen valves are their main selling point.

How big was the bell on the Eterna C?
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger than 5 inches same as my Getzen CB Bb about 5.5 or something like that.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: