• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Practice mute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikovitzbalint

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Practice mute Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I am new in the brass environment and I would like to purchase a practice mute. There are 2 which seems to OK for a lower budget, one of them is a Protec Liberty Mute ML201 and the other is a Pampet Lightweight Practice Mute. Which one would you recommend? Is there something which may be bought an around 30-35€? Thanks for all the answers!
Nate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the brass world. I live in an apartment, and I used to use a Denis Wick practice mute which seems similar to the Protec. About 6 months ago I purchased a Yamaha Silent Brass practice mute (which is more than a mute, and more expensive by several times but it makes practicing much more enjoyable -- especially with the much improved sound and feedback you get from headphones + the mute.

For me, it makes practicing much more like playing the trumpet without a mute than the Wick did. (it's not identical, but closer) It is quieter, and it has a cool benefit of helping pedal tones speak better when doing routines that involve them. There is some back-pressure, but not as much as with the Wick.

If you can save up for it I'd recommend it over any standard practice mute if you spend a lot of time (majority of time practicing) in an environment where you must use a practice mute. (note that it uses 2 AA batteries so there is that additional expense over time)
outskiing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Silent Brass Mute Reply with quote

I can also recommend the Yamaha Silent Brass Mute. I love that you can feed in an auxiliary line and so can hear your trumpet along with accompaniment from your laptop or phone. My wife loves it, especially when I'm working on a piece and playing sections over and over and over again.
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bremner shhhhh mute. Best one. Save yourself the time and just get this one
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - the Bremner shhhh mute is by far the best to play on. Much cheaper than the yamaha thing and free blowing by comparison.

A far better thing to do is practice somewhere that doesn't require a practice ute as much as you can!

cheers

Andy
nikovitzbalint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations! Today i've boughta Hopkins straight mute (similar to a Denis Wick alumínium thingie) for 26£ (shipping included, i.live in Spain). For this price it was the best option, i guess the next is the Yamaha silent brass
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha Silent Brass system is a wonderful practice mute with the added bonus of being able to pug in an aux - great for working on play along things. But cumbersome to travel with.

EazyMute-Silencer, Okura and Bremner SshhMute are all decent stand alone mutes

The other option are The Silencer & Best Brass "Warm-Up Nano" which replace the stem in any harmon mute to make it a practice mute.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallace small is around 40€ and it plays great , is small, lite and with adjustable resistance.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
karldtz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely second the Brenmer, "I use it on my flugel in an apartment and the resistance, tuning and ease of playing is consistent across full range
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallace studio practice mute, doesn't play sharp, and the more free blowing mute i tried, while lowering the dBs
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikovitzbalint wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations! Today i've boughta Hopkins straight mute (similar to a Denis Wick alumínium thingie) for 26£ (shipping included, i.live in Spain). For this price it was the best option, i guess the next is the Yamaha silent brass

I hope the Hopkins plays better than the Wick which I didn't like much at all.

I wouldn't assume the Yamaha is the next step. There are many well-reviewed mutes for those that don't need or want the electronic option.

Like others, I'd recommend limiting the use of a practice mute to the extent that you can. Playing on a poor practice mute is a drag and can complicate your development.

If you must use it more than a little then I'd recommend buying a really good one. I like the older Silent Brass alright but hear the newer design is much improved. For non-electronic models, I rather like the Trumcor.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: