• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fascinating coincidence

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Fascinating coincidence Reply with quote

For as long as I live will never forget the powerful "Columbus Day Storm" of 1962. Essentially it was a category III typhoon which pulverized my hometown of Portland, Oregon. Was only seven years old at the time. It really was Columbus Day and on a Friday. Back when our national holidays were celebrated exactly on the day they fell. Not on the closest Monday.

The storm blew at a constant hurricane rate. Gusts of wind however were reported at 125 mph and above! Whole branches off trees went flying through the air. I remember a box of leaves and heavy debris from a house recently worked on by a crew of landscapers. The box was literally fying through the air. Travelling north but some thirty feet above the ground! All the shingles flew off my next door neighbor's house. Just to the exact south of our house.

But my family and I survived fine. Not even a scratch. Now fast forward to last week. By coincidence I just happened to be reading a story about trumpet player "Chris Botti". The article stating that Botti was born in Portland on the very same day as the "Big blow of '62"! Lol. My guess is that Chris's mother probably delivered her son at home. Because nobody could have driven a car that day.

Son of a gun! Botti was born in a typhoon! That's a fact...

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old South Store at the corner of Scholls Ferry Road and OR-219 is almost exactly a mile away as I type this, and it took a permanent tilt in the framing from the winds of that storm. Like 5 degrees to leeward. It is still standing today and was surveyed to be sound, albeit a touch off kilter. Like the leaning tower of pizza.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:
The old South Store at the corner of Scholls Ferry Road and OR-219 is almost exactly a mile away as I type this, and it took a permanent tilt in the framing from the winds of that storm. Like 5 degrees to leeward. It is still standing today and was surveyed to be sound, albeit a touch off kilter. Like the leaning tower of pizza.

I liked that story! Things surely have changed since '62 however. As I recall the big rage for kids my age were those hand held tops you wound up and threw towards the floor. Then as they spun like lightning we'd pull tricks with them. Playing all afternoon long after school.

Where'd you live pinstriper? I was in the NE district.
Off 60th Av.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: