• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton 602 trumpet slides modification

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Holton 602 trumpet slides modification Reply with quote

Bought a silver plated Holton 602 trumpet. Doesn't have a 1st slide thumb hook or 3rd slide fixed ring.

Has anyone have a brass or lacquered thumb hook and brass or lacquered fixed ring installed on a silver plated trumpet.

Most likely it would be cheaper to not use a silver plated finish.

These parts have to be ordered.

Any experiences or thoughts on the installation of these parts?
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
Walter Bone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Holton 602 trumpet slides modification Reply with quote

You mean you intend to install the parts yourself?
Soldering is not difficult but it's very tricky to get a clean job. I think a technician won't ask a hefty sum to intall 2 fixed rings.
Regarding the finish, it would be better to get silver plated parts. Aesthetics apart, it's easier to solder silver plated parts than lacquered ones, since with the latter you must be careful to not burn the lacquer.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Installation Reply with quote

Have two quotes by techs for installing the 1st slide thumb hook and 3rd slide fixed ring. Will get a third quote.

About a $100.00 dollars for the installation of the parts. Since they don't have the parts in stock, will wait on my decision.

On a previous Holton 602 lacquered trumpet the price was $35.00 dollars for installing them.

It is a want not a need.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Installation Reply with quote

Had the 1st slide thumb hook and 3rd slide fixed ring done on the Holton 602 MK trumpet. The tech did an excellent job on the installation.

Got it back yesterday. Haven't played it much. Not sure if I want to keep this trumpet.

Next month, I will have a 1st slide thumb hook and 3rd slide fixed ring done on my Getzen 397 trumpet.

So now I am done to two horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: