• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Good" Days and "Bad" Days

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Infera

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: "Good" Days and "Bad" Days Reply with quote

So, something I wondered for a long time now is the term "Good" days and "Bad" days when it comes to playing. Recently I've been having a lot of good days, and I feel like a bad day may be coming up.

After a normal warm up, my range on a good day goes from the low F# to high Eb, which I think is good for high schoolers like myself. On a "Bad" day, my range goes from a low F# to a high B. I'm not sure why this happens.

I made a small change to my technique which made my upper register more consistent, but now I have to rework my lower register consistency, but that's beside the point.

So my question is, what exactly happens when someone has a "Bad" day? Is it a lack of consistent technique or is it something else that causes "Bad" days to occur? As someone who is trying out for DCI in the coming future, I would like to know so I can avoid these "Bad" days in the future.
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, sometimes it’s just that we’re young. It takes years and years of consistent, intelligent, and focused practice in order to achieve our long term goals on the trumpet. I understand the frustration, I wish i could have a crystal clear high D down to low F. During high school, I had too many times where one day(or a week) would be amazing. High g’s like nothing. Next week, can barely play an A above the staff to save my life. A mindset that I think is helpful to remember is to strive for musicality instead of getting those high notes or low notes. Always play with the intent to make a good sound.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can practice consistently, extensively for MANY HOURS and correctly (which your private teacher can help you with...you have one, right?), do your best to avoid overblowing, FOCUSING TOO MUCH ON RANGE, know when to back off and recover and if you’re like most of us and even the extraordinary players, you’re going to have “off” days. See my Arturo quote at the bottom.
(And it’s not because you’re young, although years of experience certainly help the problem).

I’m not sure the off days should be as drastic as you describe (ahem, private teacher!), but they’re going to happen. You adjust and persevere, it happens to almost everyone.

So is all of the above going to solve the problem? Nope. There is no absolute solution.

Brad
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in high school as well and understand your problem.

Usually, I can ensure I have a good day range-wise if I incorporate some upper register notes into my warm up. This helps set my lips for all registers. You’ll soon find what works for you.

But above all it takes consistent practice.

Good luck!
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you are practicing and can feel that you don't have much range take it as an easy practice. go through some basic material and get everything warmed up and oiled up.
typically you have been going too hard and wind up out of gas, or it could be the state of your lips, or other things. use the light workout and see how you are the next day or two.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: "Good" Days and "Bad" Days Reply with quote

Infera wrote:
what exactly happens when someone has a "Bad" day?

How long is a piece of string?

Which is to say - there are so many variables, a teacher will have the answers for you, and if not a better teacher will.

First thing - you seem to measure/equate good and bad days with your range, and not your sound quality or musical execution. I'll just leave that there.

Simple things like sleep and dehydration play a big role.

The form or "how" you play your warmup will determine a lot. If you are impatient and don't attain pure sounding notes at soft dynamics, there's greater chance you will have a bad day.

Adequate rests in sessions. During sessions. Range routines are important, but so are ALL the other aspects of trumpet playing. Heck if you cap off at high C, you can still play almost every note Chet played in his career - argue till your blue in your face, but give me a Chet record over a poor-sounding "high note" thing.

You got advice to use high notes in your warmup. For *some* people this is good advice, for a lot this is terrible advice, especially for someone in high school. Again - your teacher is the one to ask these things of.

There is a LOT of merit in working FAR slower and softer than you think. Most of my high school level students truly don't grasp this and I show them and instruct them weekly, writing in caps, emailing home, this is on you. You wanna play fast? You gotta make perfectly sounding, slotted, in tune SLOW notes. Otherwise you speed up garbage. You wanna have a great sound playing loud or high? You gotta figure out how to play soft with control and a fine tonal quality in the cash register (high C - low F/F#).

If you want to get some inspiration, Jim Pandolfi's 2 brass chats episodes contain some gold about trumpet playing.

https://www.brasschats.com/interviews/jim-pandolfi

https://www.brasschats.com/interviews/brass-chats-episode-30-jim-pandolfi-live

Hope you can re-calibrate your approach to incorporate the more important aspects of trumpet playing. If you do the other stuff (including shedding range) right, the range stuff will work out.

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike is totally right, quasi exhaustive
(hi Mike !)
Sleep and hydratation counts a lot, indeed.
I'll add, from experience, that at the end of a tiring session, eating a lot is not a good idea, you'd interfer with the recovery processes. A good sleeping night with a light stomach will do more good
best
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is when you start your warmup in a bad day try to play as more wisper long notes you can , for me 30 minutes of pp wisper long tones in a bad day or the morning after a nightmare nite gig is the key to set up my chops and save my reputation 😉

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Chris#

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are my top 5 reasons for a “bad day”:

1) Inconsistent warm-up
2) Inconsistent warm-up
3) Inconsistent warm-up
4) Improper breathing (due to inconsistent warm-up)
5) Worked too hard the day before

I see a trumpet player’s warm-up as the signature steak sauce in a good steak restaurant. They develop the recipe, then open the restaurant and then never change the recipe. A part of becoming a trumpet player is to find/develop a warm-up that works. This is a personal thing. Inspirations are useful, but at the end everybody needs to develop a warm-up for his or herself.

For doing the warm-up, consistency is the key. The warm-up has to be the same every day. If my warm-up consists of “something” that is repeated 10 times, I always do all 10 repetitions. I do not stop if I feed good after 3. It might be the case that I have to do 20 before I feel good. Typically I go a step back in my warm-up if something does not feel good. I’d do the previous step again and when it really feels good move on to the “failed” step again.

On most days my warm-up is about 20 minutes. There have been days when I needed an hour to be finally able to play a second line G in the quality to give myself a “passed”. This is not a bad day for me, just a day requiring a longer warm-up.

One reason for a consistent warm-up is that we cannot develop our skills on a changing foundation. The foundation needs to be as consistent as possible each day to be able to discover how to play efficiently.

I always do a 2 minute break after the warm-up. That helps me separating the warm-up from practicing. Yes, I’m weak, but I know how to outsmart myself.

If I worked too hard the day before, there is no warm-up that can help. The muscles are over-worked and need time to heal. The simple rule is to never give 100%. Surprise for younger players: fff does not mean to play as loud as you can.

Here’s a video of a clinic Wayne Bergeron did in Germany. May I suggest that you write down the hh:mm:ss where he talks about breathing, warm-up and efficiency and watch those over and over again?

https://www.facebook.com/musikhausthomann/posts/1395350717171204/

Best

Chris
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris# wrote:
These are my top 5 reasons for a “bad day”:

1) Inconsistent warm-up
2) Inconsistent warm-up
3) Inconsistent warm-up
4) Improper breathing (due to inconsistent warm-up)
5) Worked too hard the day before

I see a trumpet player’s warm-up as the signature steak sauce in a good steak restaurant. They develop the recipe, then open the restaurant and then never change the recipe. A part of becoming a trumpet player is to find/develop a warm-up that works. This is a personal thing. Inspirations are useful, but at the end everybody needs to develop a warm-up for his or herself.

For doing the warm-up, consistency is the key. The warm-up has to be the same every day. If my warm-up consists of “something” that is repeated 10 times, I always do all 10 repetitions. I do not stop if I feed good after 3. It might be the case that I have to do 20 before I feel good. Typically I go a step back in my warm-up if something does not feel good. I’d do the previous step again and when it really feels good move on to the “failed” step again.

On most days my warm-up is about 20 minutes. There have been days when I needed an hour to be finally able to play a second line G in the quality to give myself a “passed”. This is not a bad day for me, just a day requiring a longer warm-up.

One reason for a consistent warm-up is that we cannot develop our skills on a changing foundation. The foundation needs to be as consistent as possible each day to be able to discover how to play efficiently.

I always do a 2 minute break after the warm-up. That helps me separating the warm-up from practicing. Yes, I’m weak, but I know how to outsmart myself.

If I worked too hard the day before, there is no warm-up that can help. The muscles are over-worked and need time to heal. The simple rule is to never give 100%. Surprise for younger players: fff does not mean to play as loud as you can.

Here’s a video of a clinic Wayne Bergeron did in Germany. May I suggest that you write down the hh:mm:ss where he talks about breathing, warm-up and efficiency and watch those over and over again?

https://www.facebook.com/musikhausthomann/posts/1395350717171204/

Best

Chris

Hi,

I both agree and disagree with this post.

Developing a consistent approach is very important, but as a very busy player you can't become reliant on a warm up. As a professional you have to deliver a professional performance regardless of whether you have the opportunity to warm up or not.

Of course, by the time you are a professional you have many years worth of practice and experience which will have cemented your approach and make a warm up less important, but I would still advise younger players not to become obsessive about warming up.I usually try to encourage my own approach; I try (quite hard) to make opportunity for a good warm up every day (waking up a bit earlier is normally the simplest solution) but I am confident that I don't need to warm up. I treat it as a luxury, if I can do something to allow myself to have it then I will, but if that isn't possible then I won't stress about it and simply play the same way I always do.

It is as dangerous to become totally reliant on warming up (I have known some players like this, and a real life playing career is so difficult for them) as it is to never bother warming up.

All the best
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
it depends what you call "warm up".
Bobby t=eaches warming up with fluttering for 5-10mn, then attacks on mpc, glissandos, same on horn, then melody or whatever.
it takes 10 to 15mn
A physiological necessary process, different from practicing the fundamentals.

best
Auraix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was my first "bad" day in a while. While trying to play a high C during practice, it instead came out as a Bb and my lower lip started to puff out a little, though I was doing my best to stop it.

Any tips on how to stop this from happening again?
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only rely on yourself to perform at 80% of your ability at any given time. You must over prepare for every situation.
Auraix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains why an A above the staff is always good to go lol
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Every day can be a good day. Reply with quote

I think is all depends on your perspective. If you define a good day as the highest note you can hit on that day, it will lead you down a negative path. If it like a bodybuilder defining a good day by their maximum lift. There is so much more to the sport.

If you take a musical approach and focus on how well you play a passage, you can always have a good day. Yes, try to hit a higher note. Play a passage up a step. Work in flexibilities as part of a passage, you will always have a good day.

Best Wishes,

DK
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to make excuses, but I believe the Arturo quote at the bottom near my signature. This was said to be his answer when someone asked if he always sounds plays great. Diligent work and PRACTICE will overcome a lot, but the instrument is what it is, sometimes things just don’t work how we wish they would. And I admit that I’m fortunate to be at a point where a bad day can simply be written off as a bad day, I don’t generally have auditions to be concerned about.

Brad
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consistency is more a question of psychology than physicality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: