• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sandovalves—my experience

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Sandovalves—my experience Reply with quote

I got the Sandovalves a while back and they’re a great product! I especially like the ability to put the mouthpiece in and finger along with the valves and then going back to the trumpet. I also found it helps clear up my tonguing.

It wasn’t a perfect experience though. Rather than tell the story

Hello,

I received my Sandovalves today, and they were everything I wanted them to be. I am pleased with the product and look forward to using it.

I ordered the autographed version of the Sandovalves. The autograph was done right where the hand is positioned to hold the trumpet, so I was a little concerned it might run off. I assumed it was painted with a clear coat overtop, so I continued using the Sandovalves. I had been using them for about 10 minutes, working on a difficult passage, when I decided to take a break. I noticed that the autograph had been smeared to the point where it is unrecognizable.

I still like the product, but I am disappointed that I paid $20 for an autograph that rubbed off the first day, from merely using it as intended.

Hopefully this issue can be fixed in the future.

I never received a response to my email. What should I do?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I understand that the Arturo autograph is cool, I doubt that they will respond to your email. If it’s a useful product, not a collector’s item, you probably got your money’s worth.

Brad
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I have to say I think they aren’t much for what you pay. Buy a clapped out horn and go find a jig saw, these sprung cylinders feel nothing like valves. A 50$ junker trumpet and some creative cutting will serve you much better. No one would tolerate this valve action in real life. It’s a valuable concept and I use a home made one in the car, Sandovalves were donated to a jr. hi..
I’m sure they cost all of 6-8 $ made in China or Malaysia
Rod
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandovalves—my experience Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
I got the Sandovalves a while back and they’re a great product! I especially like the ability to put the mouthpiece in and finger along with the valves and then going back to the trumpet. I also found it helps clear up my tonguing.

Hello,

I received my Sandovalves today, and they were everything I wanted them to be. I am pleased with the product and look forward to using it.

I ordered the autographed version of the Sandovalves. The autograph was done right where the hand is positioned to hold the trumpet, so I was a little concerned it might run off. I assumed it was painted with a clear coat overtop, so I continued using the Sandovalves. I had been using them for about 10 minutes, working on a difficult passage, when I decided to take a break. I noticed that the autograph had been smeared to the point where it is unrecognizable.

I still like the product, but I am disappointed that I paid $20 for an autograph that rubbed off the first day, from merely using it as intended.

Hi CJceltics33,

It sounds like there were some different expectations about the signature. For me, I would assume that any signature would signed with a pen, with no clearcoat overtop as you suggested. So the fact that it wore off quickly is no surprise to me.

The good news is that you find the product to be useful. I think that's much more important than how long the signature lasts. But if you feel you need to talk to someone about it, Arturo is a member here on TrumpetHerald and he has an active Facebook account. Send him a PM.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud didn't need Sandovalves.

DB
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud couldn’t play like Arturo either.
Rod
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandovalves—my experience Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:

Hello,

Consider it a variation on Banksy's self-shredding picture theme:

Link
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Rod

Wow. Really?🤔

Brad
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Rod Haney wrote:
Rod

Wow. Really?🤔

Brad

Brisbois or Herseth?
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either, everybody has a style. No dig at either Bud, just meant that Arturo ?with his style) might need faster fingers. Different needs different skills. Herseth played a set repertoire and I’m sure he was equal to the task but his gig wasn’t as a showman, rather an important member of the team. Arturo is the show and I just thought he would have the greater need- I’m sure I’ll learn how I was wrong😁
Rod
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Either, everybody has a style. No dig at either Bud, just meant that Arturo ?with his style) might need faster fingers. Different needs different skills. Herseth played a set repertoire and I’m sure he was equal to the task but his gig wasn’t as a showman, rather an important member of the team. Arturo is the show and I just thought he would have the greater need- I’m sure I’ll learn how I was wrong😁
Rod

I have no proof or examples that Arturo, as phenomenal as his playing is, would be “faster” than Herseth. Yes, Arturo IS a showman, but I don’t think that because Herseth was a section/team player he had any less technique. Maybe someone who actually has some valid examples of both of these virtuosos as it relates to this will chime in here.

Brad
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit to a non classical bent and haven’t heard anywhere close to all the classical material that Bud H may have played (thank God), but I would be willing to bet that in performance Arturo plays at quite a faster pace than Budd did on more of his music. Who could do Clarke 2 faster I don’t know, that’s how you practice and how many thousand times you’ve done it - I said Bud couldn’t play like Artoro, and I should have said he didn’t play like Arturo. Flashing fingers is just more a part of his gig is what I was saying. I’m sure there is is a young kid out there right now who will burn either down someday.
No offense to either camp, just a comment on the styles.
Rod
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both guys are much better players then most of us and are great in what they are playing, but we can not ask one to play the other guy's genre at least as good as they do.

For example. If you like race cars. There are several different kinds. Example: Formula 1 and NASCAR. Neither car could compete in the other 'style' of race.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieter Z wrote:
Both guys are much better players then most of us and are great in what they are playing, but we can not ask one to play the other guy's genre at least as good as they do.

For example. If you like race cars. There are several different kinds. Example: Formula 1 and NASCAR. Neither car could compete in the other 'style' of race.

Not so sure rally drivers could do do both - best drivers of all.. anyone who reaches the top of their profession deserves respect and for most of us respec for just being a pro - I certainly respect Arturo and both Buds even if I don’t care for the style of music one of them plays 😁
Rod
Arbanator
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was the better painter, Rembrandt or Picasso? I'm sure there's an answer that we can all agree on.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can compare any two extraordinary players who specialize in different genres and it’s very possible that one guy might be better in certain aspects of his music specialty than the other. That doesn’t take anything away from either guy, in my opinion, it’s just specialization.

A neurosurgeon and a cardiologist are both highly skilled (hopefully!) physicians, but if I had a brain tumor, I would not conult the cardiologist. But when we compare, let’s say, Sandoval and Herseth I don’t know if we can really KNOW if one can play a certain style of music better than the other. I guess only a side by side comparison would determine that, but what’s the point, really? Who is the absolute best all around player? Does it really matter? The other thing that enters into this is our exposure to a certain player. Example: I had never been overly impressed with Chris Botti, until I attended one of his concerts. In this case, the reason I had never been impressed with him was because I really had not HEARD everything he can do, and that was totally my own fault.

And as others have said, personal music preference can enter into this. I’m not a fan of opera, but I understand how accomplished the people who are at the top of that music genre really are.

Not being snarky here, just food for thought!

Brad
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope no one here thinks I was saying one is better than the other in the case of any of the 3. I would feel fully complete if I possessed the least of any of their skills. I certainly didn’t mean for this to take such a serious tone🤪 but back to the original post - the valve action is not realistic on the version I had - the purchase price was more than the price of a junker horn with infinitely better action. Past that comment - and an observation that Arturo is flashier - My names Benett and I ain’t in it!
Rod
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious. How is using a device that includes both the mouthpiece, lead pipe, valves etc. any more productive than just using a horn with a good practice mute, itself?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I'm just curious. How is using a device that includes both the mouthpiece, lead pipe, valves etc. any more productive than just using a horn with a good practice mute, itself?

The reason I did it is that my wife and I have a vacation home 8 hours away from our primary residence. Usually we stay in the away home about a week a month until the wife retires (CRNA). I use it when we travel and the wife will only put up with about 1.5 hours of leadpipe, and I do Clarke 2 when I can’t use lp and I really use that infrequently. Also in airports. An unwillingness to do without some trumpet related activity for a full day is my biggest reason - certainly a sickness🎺🤮 making your own with or without leadpipe is a better option if you are able - and obsessed 🤯
Rod
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there seems to be the same volume between the Sandovalves and a muted trumpet so why nor work with the real thing?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: