• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Exercises to help playing more relaxed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amarokmclion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Exercises to help playing more relaxed Reply with quote

I was wondering if there are specific exercises that can be used to systematical help reduce pressure and tension.
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you get loosened up with some long tones do Clarke Technical Studies particularly #2. Play as quiet as you can with a good sound. Strive for the biggest sound at the smallest volume. Your airstream should be steady and energetic. (Also think vibrant, buoyant, "spin the air") I've been told by many artists that this is the key to efficient playing.
jstiebing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the thread on the 19/30s exercise:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103078

Pops' "TensionLess Playing" e-book is worth every penny:

http://www.bbtrumpet.com/product/tensionless-playing/

Also, Greg Spence's Mystery to Mastery video series is awesome. You can sign up for free for one week:

https://mysterytomastery.com/
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO no exercise will take care of the problem if your basic approach to playing isn't sound.

Cichowicz' long tone (or "moving long tone") exercises are good. Sometimes, what I'm referring to is mistakenly called "Flow Studies". Concone " Vocalises for Trumpet" are good, as well. Play them as connectedly and as smoothlys, and as relaxed, as you can.

But remember that its the basic physiological approach that is the tie-breaker, playing as stress free as you can, not the exercise.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not what you play, it's how you play. It's a concept and it can'ts be learned from a book or an internet site.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Exercises to help playing more relaxed Reply with quote

amarokmclion wrote:
I was wondering if there are specific exercises that can be used to systematical help reduce pressure and tension.

I think that the best and most effective way to reduce pressure and tension is just to practice with as little pressure and tension as you can and, by that process, train yourself to reduce pressure and tension.

I think the single best exercise for this is to practice anything as softly as you can. You just keep practicing this way until you get the results you want. At first you'll probably have response issues. However, what you're trying to do is eliminate those response issues by training yourself to produce clear notes with less pressure and tension. It can take time. There is nothing easy about learning foundational skills on the trumpet. Problems can be very difficult and time consuming to fix. Patience, perseverance and thoughtful, diligent, structured practice consistent with obtaining the results you want are tremendous virtues.

I worked with trombonist Bill Watrous many times over the last 40 years of his life and spent a lot of time with him. He was a HUGE proponent of low pressure and soft playing. He was absolutely unsurpassed in these respects. There must be some articles on the internet you could find in which he talks about his approach.

Also, there are some youtube videos of Rafael Mendez talking about the principles of playing the trumpet. Breath control was an exceedingly important element to Mendez. On one of the videos he talks about how the air should never be forced, that the amount of air necessary should be no more than you use in ordinary conversation. Take a look at those videos, there is good information in them and, of course, Mendez doesn't just lecture, he actually shows you himself doing it. It's amazing stuff. Just understand that no one is saying it's easy and it does take considerable time, effort and thoughtful, diligent practice to achieve these results.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 19/30s exercises are about how you play. They were a great help to me a few years back to increase my endurance. They enabled me to withstand the 90 minute sets we play in a funk/soul band.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BudBix wrote:
After you get loosened up with some long tones do Clarke Technical Studies particularly #2. Play as quiet as you can with a good sound. Strive for the biggest sound at the smallest volume. Your airstream should be steady and energetic. (Also think vibrant, buoyant, "spin the air") I've been told by many artists that this is the key to efficient playing.

Same idea but try incorporating Bai Lin #1, 2, 3 and 5 for the long tone aspect utilizing a metronome set at 80 bpm. Try to produce the most beautiful sound that you can imagine with the most expression that you can muster for these "simple?" exercises.
kehaulani wrote:
IMO no exercise will take care of the problem if your basic approach to playing isn't sound.

But remember that its the basic physiological approach that is the tie-breaker, playing as stress free as you can, not the exercise.

A great warm-up can be most beneficial if not equally challenging. Your most critical audience is always you, or should be!
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
amarokmclion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jstiebing wrote:
Check out the thread on the 19/30s exercise:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103078

Pops' "TensionLess Playing" e-book is worth every penny:

http://www.bbtrumpet.com/product/tensionless-playing/

Also, Greg Spence's Mystery to Mastery video series is awesome. You can sign up for free for one week:

https://mysterytomastery.com/

I'll try to integrate this stuff in my practice routine, great stuff!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind you have to have both tension and pressure, the right amount directed the right way. "Right" being defined as that which gives you the results you want.

Tension and pressure also aren't the only factors in making things work.

If someone tells you they can/you should be able to go through the range of the instrument "without changing anything" they don't know what they're talking about.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Glasel Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about the Glasel exercises, sold in three volumes?
Nausiiik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Exercises to help playing more relaxed Reply with quote

amarokmclion wrote:

Do a lot of bendings. Try to get the lips vibrate as much as you can. And of course dont play too loud, make sure you have good air stream all the way
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: