• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Advantages of bigger mouthpiece

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amarokmclion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Advantages of bigger mouthpiece Reply with quote

I'm playing with a Bach 3C and while a found it comfortable most of the times, sometimes I feel it a little too small. So I'm wondering what are the advantages of using a bigger mouthpiece.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Jens' mouthpiece rant, you'll find it on youtube and written on the forum somewhere...

At what times/situations are you finding the 3c a bit small?

I'd be very hesitant to go any bigger than a 3c without very good reason - if nothing else, I'd want to be sure there's no underlying technique issues underpinning that feeling that it's too small (if there is, you could potentially go bigger, bigger, bigger again and have it keep cropping up).

Do you take lessons at all?
If so, what does your teacher say?
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is well-traveled ground. Uan Rasey played a huge mouthpiece, Bill Chase played a tiny one. Find what works for you in what you play and the way you want to sound. Forget what anyone else plays, and forget specifications.
amarokmclion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Read Jens' mouthpiece rant, you'll find it on youtube and written on the forum somewhere...

At what times/situations are you finding the 3c a bit small?

I'd be very hesitant to go any bigger than a 3c without very good reason - if nothing else, I'd want to be sure there's no underlying technique issues underpinning that feeling that it's too small (if there is, you could potentially go bigger, bigger, bigger again and have it keep cropping up).

Do you take lessons at all?
If so, what does your teacher say?

Mainly below the staff I feel I'd like something a little bigger to accommodate my lips.

I take lessons but unlucky not in regular manner. I was planning on talking about this to my teacher in our next lesson.
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try a few different 3C's. The rim shape can make a big difference to how small or big it feels. I am playing a Carol 3C (stock mouthpiece that came with a new horn) which has a pretty narrow rim and fairly deep cup...it is working brilliantly for me. Having moved from smaller pieces to this I finally have day to day consistency in response - my lips don't feel cramped any more, they execute easily and my flexibility is great. I won't use it for lead but it was fine for the 2nd book in a 3 hour big band gig. I have a Reeves 3C which also has a roundish narrow rim but is shallower - will use this for lead parts.

If you are on a Bach 3C you may find the sharpish rim a bit constricting - there are plenty of different 3C's to try - Trent Austin's models could be worth a look, also the Reeves 3C.
Wick 2BFL
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reeves 43C is a "bigger" 3C and much more efficient.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
jrd19580

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type3B is right on the money.

Find what works for you and the horn you are playing and do that by finding a trained professional to help you get fitted for the right piece for the horn you have, and the sound you are looking for.

You can go broke buying mouthpieces searching for the perfect piece DAMHIKT. Also, as others have stated it could just be a matter of bad technique that could be corrected.

I have had two guys that have really helped me with this, Charlie Melk when he was still here in the Milwaukee area, and my teacher and trained mouthpiece fitter who goes by trptdave on the forum. I have heard a lot of people play and trptdave could hang with most of them, his sound is incredible, so I trust his judgment! Find someone like that in your area.

hth,
John
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be sure what it is that you are experiencing but my gripe with the 3C wasn't that I actually thought it was too small but that, particularly in the lower register, I found the tone lacking. The Bach 1.5C had a much more satisfying depth of sound to my ears but I couldn't acclimate to the rime size/shape. When I couldn't find a piece with both a good feel and satisfying sound, I had one made. See my signature.

And FWIW, the modern 3C is a fairly large piece already. If you have an older 3C it may be noticeably smaller.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:

And FWIW, the modern 3C is a fairly large piece already. If you have an older 3C it may be noticeably smaller.

Or, if it's a Mt Vernon or a no-dot Corp, it'll probably be noticeably larger.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a very interesting article I ran across this weekend:

https://trumpetpla.net/2017/02/22/oneormore/

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
trombino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantage? Bigger targets. With mouthpieces, it seems with every advantage other disadvantages can occur. Proceed with caution.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
cheiden wrote:

Or, if it's a Mt Vernon or a no-dot Corp, it'll probably be noticeably larger.

I'll second that. I have a no-dot Corp 3C that feels like a 1-1/2C, but has the cup profile of Corp (no dot) 1-1/4C though shallower. It basically sounds like a sort of commercial 1-1/4C, if there were such a thing.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are comfortable with the 3C rim and diameter. Take a look at Mark Curry's 3BC. It's a 3C rim with a deeper Bach type B cup. His mouthpieces are reasonably priced and well made.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffM729 wrote:
If you are comfortable with the 3C rim and diameter. Take a look at Mark Curry's 3BC. It's a 3C rim with a deeper Bach type B cup. His mouthpieces are reasonably priced and well made.

In my experience the stock Curry 3C. already feels and sounds bigger than the typical Bach 3C. I might be playing one now if it didn't feel too big for me. The 3BC I played only briefly but it may be a step too far for general playing for some players. Just my 2 cents.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheiden is correct. A Curry 3BC takes a constant, strong air flow or you will have no upper register in a very short time.
It is very open.
R. Tomasek
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a '70s Bach 3C for years and was never really satisfied with my sound on it. Too bright, and even though the cup felt wide enough, it was too shallow. I tried a Bach 3B and it had a really nice sound but sucked the life out of me in short order. After speaking to Mark Curry, I bought a Curry 3C. and things were instantly familiar, but much better - the tone was more rich and the rim was more comfortable, which also helped endurance. I played a 5-night show run with it the day after receiving it in the mail.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffM729 wrote:

In my experience the stock Curry 3C. already feels and sounds bigger than the typical Bach 3C. I might be playing one now if it didn't feel too big for me. The 3BC I played only briefly but it may be a step too far for general playing for some players. Just my 2 cents.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. The majority of my playing in school was on a large letter 3C and then in college I found a small letter 3C I really liked. The Curry 3C. felt bigger than either of those. If I were going with a Curry now, I would have to downsize to a 5C.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic slightly, but IMO, there are so many variables (physical facial structure, playing habits, differing horns, etc.) that recommending specific mouthpiece sizes to anyone is near impossible. Sure, there are some basic constants, like GENERALLY cup depth, diameter, throat size and alpha angle will produce similar results for different people, but what works very well for one person might be nearly unplayable for another. But I suppose that’s a “duh!”😎

That being said, we’re all going to continue discussions about mouthpieces, nothing wrong with that. I’m just not sure if conclusions can be drawn.

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
JeffM729 wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. The majority of my playing in school was on a large letter 3C and then in college I found a small letter 3C I really liked. The Curry 3C. felt bigger than either of those. If I were going with a Curry now, I would have to downsize to a 5C.

I asked Curry about that option and was informed that the Curry 5C isn't just a smaller version of the Curry 3C. But that the Curry 5C rim more resembles the Bach 5C rim which is a very different shape.
PieterS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
Here's a very interesting article I ran across this weekend:

https://trumpetpla.net/2017/02/22/oneormore/

Very interesting indeed: "Large mouthpieces are really good at hiding poor technique".

Stupid generalisation. How does that sound, a player with poor technique on a large mouthpiece? Like a better player? No mouthpiece will give you anything you don't have, certainly not technique.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: