• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Discovery of range

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Maplexpz wrote:
......After all isnt that the end goal, to have mastered all parts of the instrument.

Anyone who believes they or anyone else will ever “master” playing a trumpet must have a very different definition of the term “master” than many people do.

Brad

Brad
After some years of diligent practice I feel I have attained some mastery with the low C from Mf to forte in whole,half, and quarter notes up to 90 BPM, but not yet total mastery😜
Rod
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one ever totally "masters" the trumpet, and that's a good thing. A player's reach should always exceed his grasp or what's a heaven for? There are always new things to explore and new skills to develop. Music is endless in its variations. Why should playing the trumpet be any different in terms of having endless variations? The variations are inexhaustible. No one can do everything. It's the greatest instrument ever!! Are we lucky or what??!!!!
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
No one ever totally "masters" the trumpet, and that's a good thing. A player's reach should always exceed his grasp or what's a heaven for? There are always new things to explore and new skills to develop. Music is endless in its variations. Why should playing the trumpet be any different in terms of having endless variations? The variations are inexhaustible. No one can do everything. It's the greatest instrument ever!! Are we lucky or what??!!!!

Lucky enough to keep us chasing it🤯
Rod
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Discovery of range Reply with quote

Maplexpz wrote:
I'm guessing discovery of range is just by trail and error and pure luck?

"Discovery of range" is a relative term. How much range?

Quote:
I also don't understand how people come about range. Every single person has something different to say.

A lot of people who have a lot of range don't necessarily understand it either. They can come about it in different ways. I think a lot of people have a general feeling of what they do to make it happen without an in-depth grasp of the mechanics. They practice certain things and their range increases. They might even think they're doing something different than what they're actually doing.

For myself I had to go through a long process of analysis and experimentation to get past a lot of dysfunctionality. Hours of practice by itself didn't make it happen. Focusing on "corners" not only didn't make it happen, I find it completely counter-productive to try and consciously make "tight corners".

I read an anecdote somewhere about Al Hirt and Maynard Ferguson playing on the same band one night many moons ago. At some point Al asked Maynard "man, how do you play so damned high?"

Maynard's response - "I have no idea, the notes just come out." I believe it was a completely honest response.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: