• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mendez Health 60's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Mendez Health 60's Reply with quote

One of my biggest disappointments - 1965 or 66 - Mendez scheduled to be guest soloist at the High School Band Concert in East St Louis, IL. I was in 9th grade, listening to the Mendez recordings, etc., getting amped up for the concert, all tickets sold-out. 5 days before the concert, it was cancelled due to a serious health of Mendez. We were led to believe it was potentially a career ending issue. I see he played in the 70's but curious if someone that knows the bio can verify what the issue was.

50 year layoff
Giardenelli 812S (a/k/a Amati ATR-604HS)
CarolBrass CPT-1000 Mini Trumpet
Rompson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this at ASU's Biography page of Rafael Mendez:

By the late 1950s, Méndez was having serious asthma related problems. He increasingly was having difficulty playing the trumpet to his own high standards. In 1967, he was hit in the face with an errant bat while attending a baseball game in Mexico. He eventually healed, but the accident, combined with his failing health led him to cut his concert schedule drastically. He finally retired from performing in 1975, but continued to compose and arrange. Méndez died, at home, on September 15, 1981. (Emphasis mine.)

The timeline doesn't quite match up, but the baseball incident would have certainly been a big issue. It could have been an asthma related incident as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: