• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question on Doubling up on Baritone

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Hilgers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update
I received my King Baritone 625 about a week and a half ago. It came with a Bach 6.5 AL mouthpiece.
At first it felt like a bathtub and I thought I would have to go again on one of those expensive mouthpiece safaris. However I simply cannot afford that.

So I started on the 6.5AL applying what I have been learning with the BE method.

I’m finding out that indeed the mouthpiece size doesn’t seem to matter all that much.

The first few days I practiced the Barri about 15 minutes after I started the day on Trumpet.

After playing the baritone I went immediately back to trumpet. Now I am up to about 25 minutes per day on the Baritone.

This seems to be a good daily routine for now. So I suspect I will stay with that for a while.

I will keep you posted.
Cheers
Harry
starkadder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There can be a benefit to warming up on the baritone as part of your trumpet routine:

1) You set the feeling for a relaxed embouchure.
2) You set the feeling for moving a LOT of air.
Harry Hilgers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starkadder wrote:
There can be a benefit to warming up on the baritone as part of your trumpet routine:

1) You set the feeling for a relaxed embouchure.
2) You set the feeling for moving a LOT of air.

Thanks for your reply.
I am pretty well set in my 30 minute daily warm-up routine that finishes with the Roll-Out and Roll-In Balanced Embouchure (BE) excersises. I have too many good reasons for not altering that.
Thanks again.
Cheers
Harry
iiipopes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! That is how I earned "band camper of the year" at the regional university the summer after my high school junior year: co-lead trumpet in jazz band, baritone in concert band.

Now, 40 years later, I am again playing baritone in concert band and trumpet in a smaller ensemble.

Yes, each horn is different, and the balance between volume and velocity of the airstream must be attended to, but for me, at least, each helps me play the other. And nothing ever gets stale.
Harry Hilgers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for your reply.

iiipopes wrote:
Yes, each horn is different, and the balance between volume and velocity of the air stream must be attended to, but for me, at least, each helps me play the other. And nothing ever gets stale.

I am coming to the same conclusions; so far at least.

I am up to 30 minutes per day on the Baritone Horn sandwiched in between my trumpet practices. I play the same tunes as I play on the trumpet.

The advantage of the Balanced Embouchure (BE) is now really noticeable and beginning to pay off.

Cheers,
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: