• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The trumpet's musical evolution from the 1900's to today

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trompetutten

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: The trumpet's musical evolution from the 1900's to today Reply with quote

I'm writing a paper on how much have changed in the way the trumpet plays, what it plays and who have influenced the way people use the trumpet from the 1900's to modern times and I can't for the love of me find reliable information on it. Does anyone here know anything about this and could help a desperate student finish his assignment? All help is greatly appreciated!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, Wikipedia?šŸ˜

Brad
Trompetutten

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked everywhere, but Wikipedia tells mostly of the physical changes and history of the instrument, not the new techniques or the ways the trumpet has branched out in music today
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you look for dissertations posted online. For example:

https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc700006/m2/1/high_res_d/dissertation.pdf

http://gshamu.com/trumpet/Scholarship_files/ShamuDissertation.pdf

These examples include some original research that I think is really interesting. Be sure to attribute it correctly.

Thereā€™s also some good info in Edward Tarrā€™s book ā€œThe Trumpetā€ from Hickman Music Editions.
Piccolo Stomvi
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool project! Make sure you include Herbert L Clarkeā€™s famous quote about the trumpet!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trompetutten wrote:
Looked everywhere, but Wikipedia tells mostly of the physical changes and history of the instrument, not the new techniques or the ways the trumpet has branched out in music today

Oops, sorry, I didnā€™t properly read your first post.

Brad
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be interesting to look at the original text of the Arban book and what type of music was played then and compare it to now. ITG put out a GREAT cd several years ago of vintage recordings of cornet solos. You might compare the Arband/cornet solo type of playing to some of the more modern method books and the techniques required for modern solo lit.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: The trumpets musical evolution from the 1900's to today Reply with quote

Trompetutten wrote:
I'm writing a paper on how much have changed in the way the trumpet plays, what it plays and who have influenced the way people use the trumpet from the 1900's to modern times and I can't for the love of me find reliable information on it. Does anyone here know anything about this and could help a desperate student finish his assignment? All help is greatly appreciated!

Try this:neesley.com/augiehaas/download.php?download_file=dissertation.pdf
This paper deals with different techniques of high register playing but maybe youĀ“ll find something of worth to your essay?!;
HereĀ“s another: https://www.trumpetland.com/article/historical-formation-of-the-french-trumpet-school
And another:https://www.trumpetland.com/p/evolution
and: http://www.cscanada.net/index.php/ccc/article/view/7771

One main obstacle writing a paper is finding the "form/structure" - establishing some kind of idea which might function like a " skeleton" - upon which then different ideas might be added. In your case one way to go could be to use different trumpeters trying to possibly pinpointing some differences in style, attack, sound, phrasing like Louis Armstrong - Bunny Berigan - Harry James - Dizzy Gillespie - Miles Davis - Chet Baker -Severinson - Bergeron then even more modern guys/girls. Or the more classical approach: Clarke - Adolf Scherbaum - Maurice AndrƩ - HƄkan Hardenberger - Balsom etc.

Just associating - probably you have found your concept already.
Sorry if I seem "know it all"....
ps please donĀ“t overdo it......not a doctoral thesis (or?)
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: The trumpet's musical evolution from the 1900's to today Reply with quote

Trompetutten wrote:

So Trommpetutten! What happened? Got stuck in longing for your Norweigan fjords or? Some of us offered some thoughts - hence it would be nice to hear from you - if only to combat the thought this was for nothing, a shot into the dark.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The trumpet's musical evolution from the 1900's to today Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Trompetutten wrote:

So Trommpetutten! What happened? Got stuck in longing for your Norweigan fjords or? Some of us offered some thoughts - hence it would be nice to hear from you - if only to combat the thought this was for nothing, a shot into the dark.

Itā€™s unfortunate, but if the OP has bailed, this in fact might have been a waste of time. It happens.šŸ¤Ø

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: