• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Where do you get music?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DareiosK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Where do you get music? Reply with quote

Hey all,
This might sound like a silly question, but where do you guys get recordings from? I've always just used youtube for listening but I would like to be able to download music onto my phone so that I can have a library of music all in one place and listen to it on the go like a normal person. What do you do? Do you buy CD's? Do you download albums online?

Thanks, Dareios
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly Apple Music. Also, more artists are self-publishing their recordings these days, so I purchase their music online then upload it into iTunes Match so it's available on all my devices.
Piccolo Stomvi
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy CD's because I like having the "hard" copy and linear nores etc. I then download to my PC etc.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally iTunes (download) or CD-have started buying some vinyl again as well. I don't do the streaming services-basically musicians get paid little of nothing from those sites, and I choose to support artists.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that you don't want to subscribe to a service like Spotify or Apple Music...The smart thing to do is buy the CD and rip them at a quality that suits your preferences.

Next best would be to download them as MP3. That should allow you to bring them into the device of your choice. Note that typical MP3s aren't ripped at a quality that as good as a CD. Though I believe some sources allow you to download higher than standard quality, assuming you don't mind the larger files.

Arguably the worst option is to use iTunes where the quality is not ideal and you're limited on the devices you can copy them to. Not to mention that iTunes does an unconscionably bad job including rearranging well-organized music libraries, dropping tunes, duplicating tunes and crossing up album art. Some on my iPhone are hysterical. For "Jagged Little Pill" my library shows album art for Chuck Mangione's Greatest Hits.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of music available to you on Spotify is incredible and you can get on Spotify for free. I'm assuming that Spotify pays a negotiated royalty for the music it has available and generates the revenue to pay those royalties from advertisers on its website and subscribers to its higher level services. If that's the case then everyone who is supposed to be paid something is receiving what they agreed to accept and no one needs to feel sorry for any of them. It that's not the case then I assume we'd have all heard by now about lawsuits and efforts to shut Spotify down (like what's happened to other streaming services that weren't paying royalties), but I'm not aware of any lawsuits or other such efforts being directed toward Spotify.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For classical music, Naxos is amazing.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD or iTunes
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the majority of stuff I get lately is recordings of
friends, I tend to buy the CD (support musicians!) and then transfer it to iTunes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: