• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Website Lag?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Website Lag? Reply with quote

Is anyone else experiencing lag on here? I thought it might be my computer, but this is the only site it happens on. Links will take a few seconds to even start loading when I click on them to open. Even typing this post, everything will freeze then suddenly fill in everything I typed. Am I the only one having this problem?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No issue here, other than having to re-login and resubmit posts due to invalid session.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing here; typing gets delayed, then fills in. This is the only place I notice it, using an ipad.

Brad
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started getting messages in the Safari browser about this website, seems like maybe a month or so ago. I don't recall the exact wording, but the gist of it was: "this website is using lots of memory, which may make your computer run slow." Every now and then, Safari would automatically reload the browser, I suppose to try and free up memory.

I opened the website inspector feature and saw that the Taboola advertising links had loaded 8 JavaScript files that were gobbling up all of my computer's memory. I went into preferences and disabled JavaScript, and the problem went away. I sent a PM to the TH administrator as a heads-up, but I haven't received a reply.

I've noticed that I get the same warnings in cbssports.com, which also runs Taboola advertising scripts.

Since then, whenever I visit the TH website, I either disable JavaScript in Safari or use the Chrome browser, which allows blocking JavaScript in specific websites. The only downside I've noticed is that I can't play embedded YouTube videos in TH. Everything else seems to work fine. With JavaScript disabled, TH uses little memory and runs faster.

I understand TH runs Taboola scripts to help pay for the site. But it's a really bad implementation that's messing up the site, so I don't feel bad about disabling it.

Just sharing my experience in case you might find this helpful.
Piccolo Stomvi
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a lot of the delay is caused by the Taboola malware at the bottom of every page. There are many ways to disable it; disabling JavaScript is a good one. Taboola "ads" run undesired software on your computer without your permission; that's clearly malware. If you are careless enough to click on any of the Taboola ads, you risk suffering the effects of even more invasive and damaging malware.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using Chrome you can get a Taboola blocker.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: