• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Favorite trumpet/flugel case?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jc_old

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the RB Double. I keep my flugel and cornet in there together. Great fit, pretty light, and I still feel the horns are well protected.
TIJO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is the Walt Johnson trumpet flugel. The only drawback is the weight. It's the only case I own that I would trust checking while flying. I have a Protec Vax case that I use for local gigs, light and a nice size.
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
I'm looking at the Gard case and Protec Mike Vax

I like the idea of wheels, but that's not the most important feature. Protection, mutes and accessories, and good fit are most important.

Get a hard case. Protec, Pelican, Bonna, BAM, Wiseman, Torpedo... all good cases. But I wouldn't want to put a Gard/Reuninion Blues/Precieux/Fusion bag under the plane (I own a Reunion Blues, but every time I travel I put my horn in a Protec or BAM case JUST IN CASE it has to go under).
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
patdublc wrote:
trumpet.sanity wrote:
patdublc wrote:
I have a Bags of Spain that I really like. It has backpack straps ans wheels. There is a music pocket on the outside. Inside, there is an accessory compartment that lifts up under where the flugel sits. However, the accessory area is not deep enough for mutes.

Trying to find this online, not having luck. Can you post a link please?

Thanks!

http://www.musical-bags.com/es/ is the weblink but I no longer see the trumpet/flugel combination on their website. Maybe it has been discontinued.

Thanks for the link. I didn't see a combo case either. Or maybe I just can't navigate the site in Spanish. Can I press 1 for English?!?!

You can click the little British flag (the one on the right) toward the top of their page, but not all terms are translated. I had purchased their quad case from HornGuys.com in 2017 for $400 and use it frequently, but I'm not seeing it listed on that site now, and I don't see a list of Dealers on the Bags of Spain site <http://musical-bags.com>. I just sent an email to the latter to inquire where in the U.S. to buy them now. It makes me wonder if they only sell directly. I'll send a follow-up note on this thread if and when I get a reply. I did get an auto-generated reply, so I know it's in their queue.

You can pull the dividers out and use the space as you see fit, which works well for a large flugel and B-flat trumpet, and then use the optional "sleeve" they provide to slip in a piccolo and place on top of the flugel...or just use all of the dividers and place up to four B-flat trumpets...or use some of the slots for mutes, etc. The beauty of this case is that it can easily get past the airport gate as a carry-on, due to its compact size. It does not have wheels, but it does have backpack straps. I was even able to fit my Adams F4 (4-valve) flugel with the large bell in it. Stomvi has their quad case made by the same company with a few small changes, I believe, including their company moniker, so if you want to buy one of these-type models 2nd hand, then you could look for either and end up with basically the same product.

I have collected probably more cases than trumpets over the past two years, intrigued to discover first-hand the pros and cons of each. Some of these include: the Bags of Spain Quad, a vintage Reunion Blues Triple (type) Case mentioned by John Mohan but with a black alligator pattern (something you won't find in nature, btw), a Gard Quad (which has tons of room and like taking a camping tent into the pit), J. Landress Brass Gard Triple (which I've used as a flugel/tpt case, Ciro Basili Quad (THIS is one of my favorites, and is a superb example of beautiful craftsmanship!), and a J. Winter Triple (which is to arrive today, but I don't think allows removal of dividers to use as a flugel case, unfortunately). The multi-trumpet cases that permit removal of dividers is usually a viable flugel/trumpet case option, of course.

Follow-up: I just received the J. Winter Triple case. It does have removable dividers, but you'd have to remove both dividers to fit even a regular-sized flugel. Then again there actually would be enough room to fit a trumpet and flugel in it, if I used something else as a divider.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://stomvi-usa.com/product/trumpet-casesstomvi-quad/ Is Stomvi's quad from (I believe) Bags of Spain.

I bumped into a former teacher after a concert, and I saw he was carrying one. He let me lift it to see how heavy it was. With 4 horns, it felt quite heavy to me. But I use a wheelie to schlepp my 3 horns plus accessories.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine heard from a pro in another city that travels a lot and is in need of a replacement tpt/flug case that will easily fit under the seat on airlines. I think he's interested in a higher-end case...maybe a Ciro Basili or Marcus Bonna like this one...

http://www.mbcases.com.br/en/products/trumpet-and-flugel/

...or Wiseman like this one (but I'm not sure of the outer dimensions of this case, either):

https://wisemanlondon.com/product/suspended-trumpetflugel-triple-case-model-a/

...and these really look like they'd be too tall to fit under the seat and may have to go in the overhead, anyway. Not sure if one exists that will fit under an airline seat. I have never had any problems with putting a case in the overhead compartment, but I guess if it's a big plane, a long flight, and you're sleeping for prolonged periods, someone could surreptitiously sneak it into another area of the plane without you knowing. Kind of a scary thought, actually. Any suggestions?
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really nice option are the Manning Custom cases made by Michael Manning. They are seriously expensive, but you can have one custom made to fit the horns you travel with. I have his trumpet and mutes case and it is very compact as a carry on, and I wouldn't hesitate to check it if needed. It's actually stronger than a Walt Johnson. He's got photos of some of his cases up on his Facebook page.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIJO wrote:
My favorite is the Walt Johnson trumpet flugel. The only drawback is the weight. It's the only case I own that I would trust checking while flying. I have a Protec Vax case that I use for local gigs, light and a nice size.

Dude, we are on the same page. I have the same setup. The WJ is practically bullet proof and the horns can't move a millimeter inside. The downside is that it is HEAVY and mine has no wheels. I use the VAX for local gigs and that's all I'm doing these days. It has an extending handle and wheels. perfect for my aging body.
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cronkhite tripple or super tripple gets my vote.

Unbeatable quality- I,ve had my tripple since 1991, and my single since 1980. Still in use every day.
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetera wrote:
The Cronkhite tripple or super tripple gets my vote.

Unbeatable quality- I,ve had my tripple since 1991, and my single since 1980. Still in use every day.

I just bought a Super Triple, really like it, but it is of course not a hard shell case. It’s very well made and protective for a gig bag, but it’s still a gig bag. I don’t know if I would fly with it, if I did with it in the overhead I would be sure that no one crams anything in with it....and monitoring something in a plane overhead is not always easy to do.
I would NEVER check it, but I would not check horns in any case short of something like Raw Brass/Pelican.

Brad
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bixtone wrote:
A really nice option are the Manning Custom cases made by Michael Manning. They are seriously expensive, but you can have one custom made to fit the horns you travel with. I have his trumpet and mutes case and it is very compact as a carry on, and I wouldn't hesitate to check it if needed. It's actually stronger than a Walt Johnson. He's got photos of some of his cases up on his Facebook page.

Hey bixtone,

I checked out his facebook page. Very interesting. Could you please post some photos of your case? (interior and exterior??)

Thanks,
Garry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: