• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Been 20 years...help me bring back my chops!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerseyChris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Been 20 years...help me bring back my chops! Reply with quote

I’m just starting out with the mouthpiece trying to get my chops back up in shape. (Over a week now) Got trumpet back up to playing condition, but haven’t touched it yet. Not since high school. There’s a lot that I forgot about mouthpieces, ways to practice building my embouchure (Anyone on Youtube to follow) and MOST IMPORTANTLY ways to know I’m progressing properly.

Working with Yamaha 11C4, 14b4, 14a4a mouthpieces

Any advice direction greatly appreciated.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you at? Find someone to work with you. DO long tones and lip slurs, using as little pressure as possible. Focus on tone to start with.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Been 20 years...help me bring back my chops! Reply with quote

JerseyChris wrote:
I’m just starting out with the mouthpiece trying to get my chops back up in shape. (Over a week now) Got trumpet back up to playing condition, but haven’t touched it yet. Not since high school. There’s a lot that I forgot about mouthpieces, ways to practice building my embouchure (Anyone on Youtube to follow) and MOST IMPORTANTLY ways to know I’m progressing properly.

If you are literally just starting out after 20 years, I would suggest that 'working with' 3 different mouthpieces is a bit silly.

Your first aim is to find an element of consistency to your playing, so that you can achieve the same result every time; this is hard enough as it is, let alone changing the mouthpiece too. You are a long long way off being good enough to gain any discernible benefit from the different nuances of deeper/shallower mouthpieces and so using more than one is nothing but detrimental to your development.

So the very first piece of advice is to put two of those mouthpieces away (definitely the 14A4a and then one of the others) and focus on finding a reliable fundamental technique. Don't even think about mouthpieces for (very very minimum) a year, and really I would say 3 or 4 years.

Hope that can help a little bit.

All the best
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUP, put the 11C4 and 14A4A in a box, and forget where you put that box.

With the 14B4, work long tones, flow studies, scales, etudes, etc.
build a DAILY routine that starts mid-staff, soft dynamics and builds in all directions-up, down, adding articulation, various tempos, and patterns that includes plenty of rest.
Then move onto what you're working on, escerpts, etudes, solos, texts, etc....
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said: don’t worry about mouthpieces (though you probably want to use something “moderate”, ie, not huge or very small), and finding a teacher will speed your process. A LOT.

And welcome back!

Brad
ryanmuckenfuss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Been 20 years...help me bring back my chops! Reply with quote

JerseyChris wrote:

Don't rely on mouthpieces pick one and develop your distinct sound if you're just starting out. Also long tones and free buzzing( if you can do it) may help . Getting a good etude book and finding a practice buddy usually helps too. Personal opinion I would learn on the 14b4 probably the most moderate out of those 3.
Olds Ambassador
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about sticking with a single mouthpiece for now. Use that and a consistent daily routine to build your foundation.

FWIW I'm a fan of the Stamp method that will provide guidance on limited amounts of daily buzzing (free and/or mouthpiece) prior to work on the horn.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus: "Mitchell on Trumpet" Vols I then II or.
"100 Progressive Lessons for Trumpet for the Beginning or Comeback Player", by David Hickman.

Lowell Little, "Embouchure Builder", then Earl Irons, "27 Groups of
Exercises" and/or Schlossberg, "Daily Drills and Exercises".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
bear30101

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinions only: If you can get a teacher that has a good reputation, do so and stay away from opinions on the internet from people you don't know, (like me) and give your teacher some trust for a few months. If you cannot get a teacher, I humbly suggest the following:
1. If your first introduction to the trumpet was (A) very successful, AND (B) mouthpiece playing was integral, please take into account that playing the mouthpiece is more strenuous than playing the mouthpiece/ leadpipe combination, and much more so than the complete trumpet. Therefore, practice with the mouthpiece alone should be softer, lower, shorter duration, and with longer rest periods. (IMHO)
If you did not have (A) a great initial experience playing, AND (B) mouthpiece-primary practice as integral to that success, IMHO, put down and step away from the mouthpiece playing for now.
2. I'm using Greg Spence's approach with my students and the beginners are doing especially well with it. (Mystery To Mastery, WindWorks) He has many free videos and a free trial offer.
3. While some very basic factual information on mouthpieces may be available and helpful, like the difference between a 6a4 and a 6a4a, opinions on specific mouthpieces for YOU, from people who have no idea of your physical characteristics, playing capabilities, sound concept, or qualities/condition of your horn, are, IMHO, likely more harmful than not.
4. There are, however, many good recommendations for teachers available on this site.
5. Good luck! Welcome back!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: