• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vintage Bach New York 17

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikoloas17

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Vintage Bach New York 17 Reply with quote

The shop I work in recently acquired an old Bach New York 17, no letter, with the old school New York blank design and everything. I haven't found much on it while scouring the forums, it's always the 17C1 and 17C2 that pop up. Does anyone have any experience with this piece, or have any idea what it might be worth? I don't imagine a lot of people will be flocking to such a narrow diameter piece with a deep cup.

I reached out to Trent via the ACB Facebook page, and while he didn't have any answers for this specific piece, I can't understate how amazing and professional he is. Within 60 seconds of my message, he was there responding very politely, even though it was technically after the stated shop hours. If you see this, Trent, thank you again for being such an amazing member of the community!
Lidl Brno Bb Rotary Flugelhorn
Benge 5 Piccolo Trumpet
Mouthpieces:
Marcinkiewicz 6/10.5C
Monette B2
Monette B6LVS1
Yamaha 14E4
Yamaha 14F4
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 17 size is listed in the current Bach mouthpiece catalog, page 18.

https://www.bachbrass.com/application/files/4614/8521/7763/AV2BA901_Original_1889_web.pdf

There it is listed as a deep cup, small mouthpiece.

I do not know if this applies to a NY piece or not.
Nikoloas17

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time, ProAm! I'm familiar with the catalog, and with the issues many people have with the descriptions within. It's definitely a narrow diameter with a deep, almost v-cup design. I just can't pin down any possible value for it, with it being such an old variant of the 17.
Benge 5 Piccolo Trumpet
Mouthpieces:
Marcinkiewicz 6/10.5C
Monette B2
Monette B6LVS1
Yamaha 14E4
Yamaha 14F4
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The value of the mouthpiece is what someone is willing to pay for it. With older Bach NY pieces in odd sizes, there isn't much interest. I'd guesstimate it at around $50. You could list it higher and then take offers.
Nikoloas17

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, JeffM729, for that guesstimate. I'm glad my initial thoughts weren't too far off, and I appreciate you taking the time to offer your perspective. I think I'll take your advice and see what happens.
Benge 5 Piccolo Trumpet
Mouthpieces:
Marcinkiewicz 6/10.5C
Monette B2
Monette B6LVS1
Yamaha 14E4
Yamaha 14F4
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About $50 sounds fairly realistic to me, if it's in decent condition.

You see these unusual sizes (generally small sizes) in NY Bachs in fairly average condition listed on eBay every now and again for ~$100 and they get relisted over and over again without selling - realistically, there just isn't enough interest to justify that kind of pricing on an unpopular and pretty uninteresting model (by "uninteresting" I mean it's not a model that's famously used by a certain artist in that era, or a model that's subsequently become popular).

Unusually, there's probably more interest a deep but small-diameter model (like this) if it's a cornet piece - typically, vintage Bach pieces we find the trumpet variants are worth noticeably more.
Nikoloas17

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unusually, there's probably more interest a deep but small-diameter model (like this) if it's a cornet piece - typically, vintage Bach pieces we find the trumpet variants are worth noticeably more.

Yeah, I don't see so many of these floating around this area for trumpet, but I imagine it would be fairly pleasant on a cornet, if you like small diameter pieces. I'm almost tempted to just grab it for myself and see what happens, but I already have half a dozen mouthpieces that I don't use
Benge 5 Piccolo Trumpet
Mouthpieces:
Marcinkiewicz 6/10.5C
Monette B2
Monette B6LVS1
Yamaha 14E4
Yamaha 14F4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: