• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Music education & success in later careers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Music education & success in later careers Reply with quote

I hope someone can help with this.

Maybe 15 years ago, I was talking with a few other music educators, and one of them told me about an article they had read where a survey had been done of many of the CEOs of the Fortune 500 companies. In that survey, a vast majority of them had had some exposure to music early in their lives, as in elementary through high school years. Instrumental and or vocal music.

The gist of the survey showed that those with the music exposure directly attributed a good portion of their business success to that music experience. The discipline, the focus, the responsibility of an individual and the role they played in the "whole" of an ensemble, the fun - all the good stuff.

The person who told us about reading the survey could not remember the publication. I need to directly quote that publication and I'm having zero luck in searching for it.

Does anyone remember reading something like that and hopefully also the details?

Sure do appreciate any help on this - thanks!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also read that article a while back, but for the life of me I can't remember where I found it. I feel pretty sure it was in something like the Music Educator's Journal.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess, but if you don't get an direct source, sounds like something that might have turned up in Time or Forbes.

If, as a fallback, you need anecdotal "evidence" my H.S. band, while there were exceptions both ways, was a virtual who's-who of successful people.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
If, as a fallback, you need anecdotal "evidence" my H.S. band, while there were exceptions both ways, was a virtual who's-who of successful people.

I know what you mean, Sir!

My high school band went to Europe in 1970. We toured, marched in parades and gave several concert performances. We also competed in the the World Music Festival in Kerkrade, Holland.

There have been a few Europe band reunions. At every one and without fail, the majority of the people directly attributed any success they had in life - family, job, business - to what they learned in band and the total band experience.

I'm hoping to find the source of that survey so that I can quote it in a few grant proposals that I'm working up.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck!

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Bucaneer61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, while not directly responsive to your question, USA Today used to publish an issue with info about the top students in high school and college, mentioning some of their honors, achievements, etc. Over several issues, I noticed that about 80-85% of those students were involved in the arts in some way. Band, orchestra, dance, painting and many were involved in teaching younger kids. I think that says much about what makes a well rounded student, a successful adult and, no doubt, CEO material.

I also found, when I was teaching middle school, that a survey of the students in class over the 15 years I taught, which asked "how many of you have books, magazines, newspapers, etc. in your house" indicated those who had that material were "A" & "B" students - those who didn't were poorer students. Notice, I didn't ask if they read the material, only if it were in their homes. Draw your own conclusions. I have often wondered, then, why music and the arts programs are the first things cut when the budget gets tight. I have yet to see a 95 yr. old football player who performs at a high level, but Doc is still going strong.
Blessing Artist Flugelhorn, rose brass bell
Accent Picc by B & S
Conn 28B Concert Grand Bb - 1925
Martin Handcraft Imperial - 1937
crose
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an "old" Morehead alum, reach out to Larry Blocher. No one knows more about things like this than he does. Not sure if you 2 "did time" in Baird at the same time.

I think Larry may be at Troy State now??

Even if you do not know him, he is such a nice person he may be willing to help.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crose wrote:
As an "old" Morehead alum, reach out to Larry Blocher. No one knows more about things like this than he does. Not sure if you 2 "did time" in Baird at the same time.

I think Larry may be at Troy State now??

Even if you do not know him, he is such a nice person he may be willing to help.

Will do - thank you! He was working on his Masters when I was there.

mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't the one I remembered, but it is about the same:

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/13/opinion/sunday/is-music-the-key-to-success.html
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/13/opinion/sunday/is-music-the-key-to-success.html

This is a big help - thank you!

MGTrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music - the key to success .....

Football - the key to CTE .....

It seems to seems to me the choice should be obvious.

Just my humble opinion - fwiw.
MGTrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music - the key to success .....

Football - the key to CTE .....

It seems to seems to me the choice should be obvious.

Just my humble opinion - fwiw.
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is useful:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everything-Needed-Business-Learned-Playing/dp/0978990013/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1541365627&sr=1-1[/url]
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimspeedjae wrote:
Not sure if this is useful:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everything-Needed-Business-Learned-Playing/dp/0978990013/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1541365627&sr=1-1[/url]

I think this will be very useful - thank you!

Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

I know what you mean, Sir!

My high school band went to Europe in 1970. We toured, marched in parades and gave several concert performances. We also competed in the the World Music Festival in Kerkrade, Holland.

There have been a few Europe band reunions. At every one and without fail, the majority of the people directly attributed any success they had in life - family, job, business - to what they learned in band and the total band experience.

I'm hoping to find the source of that survey so that I can quote it in a few grant proposals that I'm working up.

Now that was a surprise - you see my brass band did participate in the Kerkrade World Music Festival and the contest 1970! Matter of fact I still exchange Christmas cards with the folks I stayed with for a night or two!
Will never forget our early concert in a church in Kerkrade - I was playing the soprano, an extremely small hard to play horn; the concert started 0700 AM and I was supposed to start a tune on an A (Eb horn), pp. So what happened? Nothing! Aside from my eyeballs popping out......plus an angry stare from a tubaplayer (who could bury his face in the mouthpiece by the way).
The contest went fairly well - after all we were just a band of youngsters from the local community at home.
Regarding the OP I was one of the few with an university degree; however almost everyone had at least moderate success "jobwise" and in life - only one exception as far as I can remember.
Today a much higher percentage of well educated people.
I definitively agree with the assumption that the disciplin, perseverance required in playing on higher levels is a sine non qua attaining success in life. On the other hand the expression "musiciansĀ“ widows" is well known; at least over here. A sometimes somewhat fragile balance between being a nerd and a happily successful trumpeter with deep longlasting relations. But thatĀ“s another story. Possibly thread.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music ED contributed to well-roundedness, something that Google and Apple don't care much about.

I work as a software developer. I would not be too hasty to push children into STEM. The skills needed for software development can be built doing other things -- logical reasoning, critical thinking, learning to focus and adaptation. Which of those do you think music helps build?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another Kerkerade participant, although my band was there as a professional guest, not as a competitor. All I remember was an outdoor platform in the mist and mud. Messy.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not directly answering the question but a related article just posted by J.W. Pepper: Music Benefits Brain
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
Music ED contributed to well-roundedness, something that Google and Apple don't care much about.

I work as a software developer. I would not be too hasty to push children into STEM. The skills needed for software development can be built doing other things -- logical reasoning, critical thinking, learning to focus and adaptation. Which of those do you think music helps build?

I write stories for technical and professional association magazines. I did a story about a year ago about software companies that bring in apprentices as well as hiring through university comp sci programs. Independently, two of my sources said the trait their best developers had was - yes - they played musical instruments. They did not get into whether they had received some sort of formal instruction or were self-taught.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: