• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

From a medium deep to a shallow mouthpiece

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrightonY125

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: From a medium deep to a shallow mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hey guys, I know its stupid. I'm going from a Bach 1C to a shallow 20S Curry mouthpiece. I've been playing with medium mouthpieces only before, and I find that I can't get a consistent buzz on my new shallow mouthpiece. Please suggest any exercises so that can help me adapt from a medium mouthpiece to a shallow one.
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're being serious, I'd say start with a less extreme change. Like a 70M in the Curry 600 series. Small changes make a bigger difference than you might think. Play with less pressure.
Beaker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you been using the shallow mouthpiece? It may take some time for the transition
Flatiron mandolin, Strat/Tele/LP electrics
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exercise I'd suggest is taking both those pieces, burying them in the backyard, and buying a sensible, middle-of-the-road piece for a while. Seriously, a preponderance of players statistically speaking won't have an easy time with pieces on the far ends of the spectrum. Note that this advice is coming from someone who for years played a JetTone MF mouthpiece with absolutely no cup.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1C is an extreme mouthpiece and by playing on it you have probably acquired some bad habits. Get a Bach 3C and learn to play it.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: From a medium deep to a shallow mouthpiece Reply with quote

BrightonY125 wrote:
Hey guys, I know its stupid. I'm going from a Bach 1C to a shallow 20S Curry mouthpiece. I've been playing with medium mouthpieces only before, and I find that I can't get a consistent buzz on my new shallow mouthpiece. Please suggest any exercises so that can help me adapt from a medium mouthpiece to a shallow one.

What is the reasoning behind this?

Never a good start when you open with 'I know its stupid'...
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
The exercise I'd suggest is taking both those pieces, burying them in the backyard, and buying a sensible, middle-of-the-road piece for a while. Seriously, a preponderance of players statistically speaking won't have an easy time with pieces on the far ends of the spectrum. Note that this advice is coming from someone who for years played a JetTone MF mouthpiece with absolutely no cup.

Not certain I would go quite as far as interring them in the yard, but for the rest of this, +1.

Brad
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: From a medium deep to a shallow mouthpiece Reply with quote

BrightonY125 wrote:

The way I see it is that this shallow mouthpiece simply stalls every vibration because there is no room for your lips; probably your´e bottoming.
As the others has asked: why!!!!
I suppose you are not buying shoes half your footsize? Choose a mouthpiece that fits your lips. If you want a more shallow one, say for playing lead, then get yourself a piece that helps you, probably it will be more shallow - but there is a limit. Which you should be able to find out, testing various mpc:s.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
The 1C is an extreme mouthpiece and by playing on it you have probably acquired some bad habits. Get a Bach 3C and learn to play it.

Yes, after all, look at the bad habits players such as Adolph Herseth, Frank Kaderabek and Uan Racey developed by playing on 1C (or bigger) mouthpieces...

Seriously, Billy's suggestion to move to something less dramatically different, such as a Bach 3C, is a good one. That is, assuming there is any reason to switch in the first place. What are you after? Brighter sound and a slightly easier upper register (assuming you are only playing commercial type music)? Those would be about the only good reason to change.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Billy B wrote:

Yes, after all, look at the bad habits players such as Adolph Herseth, Frank Kaderabek and Uan Racey developed by playing on 1C (or bigger) mouthpieces...

Seriously, Billy's suggestion to move to something less dramatically different, such as a Bach 3C, is a good one. That is, assuming there is any reason to switch in the first place. What are you after? Brighter sound and a slightly easier upper register (assuming you are only playing commercial type music)? Those would be about the only good reason to change.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested

I seriously doubt the OP is anywhere near Bud, Frank, or Uan. Undeveloped players have no business playing extreme mouthpieces. And seriously, don't be such a condescending ass.
BrightonY125

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some people decided to be an ass and didn't help at all. Thank you to those who actually gave a helpful response.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 20S isn't just shallower--it also has a much smaller inner diameter, which is probably the most significant thing you're dealing with. How big are your lips?
Piccolo Stomvi
BrightonY125

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
The 20S isn't just shallower--it also has a much smaller inner diameter, which is probably the most significant thing you're dealing with. How big are your lips?

I’m sorry, how is lip size measured?
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an article from Phyllis Stork about lip size and mouthpiece selection:

https://storkcustom.com/how-your-lips-dictate-your-mouthpiece-choice/

She helped me choose a mouthpiece several years ago, and her advice was spot-on for me.
Piccolo Stomvi
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrightonY125 wrote:
Well, some people decided to be an ass and didn't help at all. Thank you to those who actually gave a helpful response.

You started your thread with “......I know it’s stupid....”, I don’t think you should be surprised when you get responses that might confirm that.

Hey, no big deal, this is just an online forum, with a handful of very accomplished and knowledgeable people, and a lot who probably are not. You’re going to get responses that run the gamut, from helpful to sarcastic, it’s just a forum with a lot of opinions. And trumpet players tend to be pretty opinionated.

Brad
L.A.Benge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Here's an article from Phyllis Stork about lip size and mouthpiece selection:

https://storkcustom.com/how-your-lips-dictate-your-mouthpiece-choice/

Useful link. Looking for my own receipt for a new mouth piece. Looks like I lean towards the meatier side.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: From a medium deep to a shallow mouthpiece Reply with quote

BrightonY125 wrote:

Can you tell us what you are trying to achieve? No one in their right mind calls a Bach 1C "medium". Do you have a teacher? I suspect not. Get a Bach 3C as recommended (they're easy to find and cheap used- I can sell you one) and spend some money on a good teacher.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not stupid at all, there are many reasons for changing a mouthpiece, in my view the most important reason is tone manipulation, ease of playing comfort and articulation follow.

I second the advice to use a middle of the road transitional piece to help the change go smoothly.

If I could offer any advice it is to not approach this with any expectations, it can be easy to be hung up on the differences in feel on the lips which can be slightly disconcerting at first.

You may see a slight ease of reaching the upper register but dont try to hit the high notes at first simply play and explore.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The late great Leon Merian played a 1C for combo and general playing and a Jettone T2B for big band solo and lead. Patrick makes a modern equivlent: BMT. This is a large diameter but very comfortable,medium shallow piece.

http://patrickmouthpieces.com/store/#!/BMT/p/13885757/category=3241027
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: From a medium deep to a shallow mouthpiece Reply with quote

BrightonY125 wrote:

try going from a Bach 1C to a curry 80S or 70S, something that is closer diameter wise than the 20S, thats like jumping from the grand canyon into a water glass, keep your diameter closer to what your used to and change the cup depth or backbore or drill size and i think you will have better results.

good luck

tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: