• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone familiar with Harry James Trump Mouthpiece?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
olbrneyes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Anyone familiar with Harry James Trump Mouthpiece? Reply with quote

I just got a mouthpiece marked "Harry James Trump" on it.

I is a double cup, and looks like a Jet Tone.

Have any of you ever played one of these?
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Harry James played a Parduba mouthpiece, which are double cup.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Parduba and Jettone. My first teacher, long passed now, was a James fan and sounded just like him. He had all manner of these mouthpieces including Harry James models. (Neither of us could make them work too well)

He played an Olds #3 and imitated that bravura style no no-one else.
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry James played a Parduba Double Cup #5*

Yes, I played on that same mpc. for a few years when I was in High School over 50 years ago..
760-643-1501

Delivering the distinctive Wild Thing Sound since 1994
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legend is that Parduba made Harry James' mouthpieces (yes, plural) for him slightly different than the production versions. Then again, this was in the era of hand-made mouthpieces, so it could simply be normal production tolerances and variances.

And, of course, any player, including Harry James, will have used different mouthpieces over the course of his/her career.

This issue is finally: can anybody identify in hand any particular mouthpiece that Harry James actually played at any particular point in his career with certainty, so the mouthpiece can be scanned and compared to the various Parduba commercial offerings, whether contemporary to the specimen mouthpiece, or current productions?
deleted_user_5ac02d6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
Legend is that Parduba made Harry James' mouthpieces (yes, plural) for him slightly different than the production versions. Then again, this was in the era of hand-made mouthpieces, so it could simply be normal production tolerances and variances.

And, of course, any player, including Harry James, will have used different mouthpieces over the course of his/her career.

This issue is finally: can anybody identify in hand any particular mouthpiece that Harry James actually played at any particular point in his career with certainty, so the mouthpiece can be scanned and compared to the various Parduba commercial offerings, whether contemporary to the specimen mouthpiece, or current productions?

--------------------------

I have no info on the Harry James differences in mouthpiece shapes. However, I concur the evidence that the Parduba are not all the same. In my experience some have less bite than others. I think the vintage had less, then again with the most recent ones. This is based off a vintage cornet piece that was alright, and a vintage trumpet piece that I have for sale because it is too narrow (it is a 7, I play the wider 8 and 8.5). It wasn't width it was a difference in the edge to the inner cup the "bite" that I noticed. I had tried one that was maybe a decade old or newer for cornet years ago based on the size chart I thought a 6.5 was right. No too narrow, and seemed to have more bite than the vintage of the same size. Regardless I think these are quality and the best non custom made wide rim mouthpiece. I can not stand Rudy Muck pieces I think there is a reason so many are on ebay. Yet that is a different topic. I also tried a new Parduba and the bite seemed less than the first cornet piece that was supposedly about 10-15 years old.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting to see what Tony Scodwell has to say. I have the feeling his input will be most informative. Kind of bummed he hasn't had a chance to contribute yet.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Harry James mouthpieces Reply with quote

As Chuck knows more about Harry than anyone I've ever known, I am surprised about the Jet-Tone question. Footage is available on Harry almost to the end of his life and his standard Parduba was evident. Certainly he had many Parduba mouthpieces over the years and it's a fact that there were variables. John Parduba used what would be considered antique tooling these days and as the tools wore, mouthpieces changed. What is available now are good copies of the originals and what original was copied dictates the current models offered. I have originals from Harry and new ones that Dick Akright made in his Oakland shop and although minor, the differences are evident. I would love to see a photo of Harry playing a Jet-Tone. I know the originator of Jet-Tone (who was Ray Amado) was a Harry James devotee' and when he was producing the original Jet-Tones nobody would have been more proud if Harry had played a Jet-Tone.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the Trump Harry James mouthpiece from an old thread.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1425810
CornetKent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry James’ Trumpet and mouthpiece are on display at Schmitt’s Music The Trumpet Shop in Minneapolis Minnesota. He was endorsed by and played a King trumpet with a gold plated Parduba *5 mouthpiece. (was also married to Betty Grable😎) I was fortunate enough to get to play these just two weeks ago. I would post a pic if I knew how......

For more information you can contact Keith at The Trumpet Shop: 1-763-398-5060.
1964 King Silver Sonic cornet
1978 Bach 181 L cornet
1980s Courtois 104 cornet
2007 Bach 184 cornet
2008 Taylor Orpheus cornet
2015 Getzen 800 Eterna cornet
And More
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trump. Brand was also known as Glitterite? I’m not sure about this. I believe I once owned a Berrigan Glitterite mouthpiece. Sadly, it had been drilled and the cup modified. I assume original, unaltered copies of those mouthpieces are extremely rare...
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie thread, yes, but I have more information. I found mouthpiece charts on the internet, both old and new, which claim to be of actual Parduba mouthpieces. The oldest one is an image of a typewritten page, and when it gets to the 5* Harry James model, it does not give specs. Add to that I found tonight in a trumpet case donated to a small band I play in a Parduba 5* Harry James model. It is old enough to have the hand-stamped lettering. It is a completely different mouthpiece than anything I have ever played. No, nobody sounds like the person it is named after, but on my King Super 20 trumpet I do get that similar edge you hear from Harry James, especially in the upper register. Intonation is a little off as I go up the register; it may be a breath support issue. Time will tell. At a little below the rather wide rim I measure a cup diameter of @.650 inches. But with the rim it feels larger than that. Range is a function of conditioning of embouchure and breath support, but somehow I do feel more efficient on this mouthpiece, as long as I keep the breath velocity up and moving; a little arch in the back of the tongue helps.

OK, I have a vested interest. My Dad played trumpet. He loved Harry James' playing. He had a King Super 20 trumpet, but different mouthpieces. I suppose that where I live in the midwest, that Parduba mouthpieces were unobtainable, or it was not published what was played, or I am sure my Dad would have had one. He had a couple of Rudy Muck's, which I sold years ago for a tidy profit, and a no-name "screamer" mouthpiece which is what I remember him playing. I can hardly get a note out of it, with a cup approaching a 10 1/2 D and a 28 throat, but he sounded great on it.

If the traces on the new comparator are to be believed, the 5* bite and inside rim is very similar to a Bach 7D. Completely different from there on, but remarkable, nonetheless. The Parduba has a wider rim than the 7D, which may account for my impression that it feels larger than it is.

Surprisingly, from this guy who has been a 3C guy all his playing life, I really am enjoying this Parduba Harry James 5* model. It may be nostalgia; it may be wishful thinking; I'm going to keep it for awhile and see how it goes. If nothing else, keeping in mind the demands of the repertoire and style of the day, I can now understand why Harry James chose Parduba as his mouthpiece.
jrpbrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Trump Company Reply with quote

The Trump Company was located at 1595 Broadway in New York. I have only found advertising from 1937 to 1940. The ones from 1937 show a Bunny Berigan model and the most commonly found is the Glitterite. They did make a Harry James model but I don't know the year.

I use a Glitterite cornet mouthpiece all the time and enjoy it. Needless to say but the company name is very hard to research.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: