• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sound stops and starts!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Sound stops and starts! Reply with quote

This is a continuation of an earlier thread which pertains to coming back after a couple of strokes. I have a problem and I would like the responses to pertain specifically to that and not broader. That was covered in the previous thread. Thank you.

The problem is that I am not able to sustain a buzz throughout a phrase. For example, when I play consecutive notes, they don't all come out, like a phrase with four eighth-notes might have some notes just air, the others as expected.

I know that for a good legato, instead of thinking and playing four stop-start-stop-start notes, you should rather think of playing one half note that is merely interrupted by the tongue, with the air continuing throughout.

Yet, I get a choppy phrase with some notes simply not sounding. I am using a soft, not explosive tongue and, to the best of my knowledge, with the air continuing, not stopping and starting. It seems like the sound/buzz just momentarily stops.

Does anyone have any suggestions beyond just continuing to work on, first, long tones then a long tone broken apart in parts with gentle tonguing? Or should I just keep doing what I'm doing and giving it more time? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some clarification, please.

Are you saying this in regards to JUST buzzing on the mouthpiece? Or when you play the horn, the tone stops?

If the tone doesn't stop on the horn, but it stops on just the mpc, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Some people just don't have a buzz on the mouthpiece, but everything works okay when done on the horn. This is especially true as you move up the horn's range.

In my one year layoff, I have problems with my mpc buzz stopping after a while, but everything is fine on the horn. If I try to restart the mpc buzzing, I find myself pressing and introducing excessive tension.

So I basically don't worry about it. I'll check it in a few weeks after some of muscle coordination comes back, then re-evaluate.

Good Luck,
Garry

PS. check your pm.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you've described doesn't sound unusual to me. For me, it's a normal part of trumpet playing maintenance to work on embouchure response so it doesn't stop buzzing as one plays through a phrase. Maybe you're just experiencing less responsiveness than you're used to?

Here's an exercise approach I use often that helps me improve responsiveness: just play any normal exercise (e.g., Clarke Technical #2, Arban p. 21 #47, etc) and I play it three times: first time, slurred; second time, staccato tongued; third time, legato tongued.

For me, this gets progressively more difficult. The slurred version is easy. The staccato tongued is pretty easy too, but I have to work on getting a clear, consistent articulation in tempo. The legato articulation is much, much more difficult, and that's the one where the buzz sometimes falters.

If you have the Franquin Method, this was a major topic with him too. His method has lots of exercises on "detached slurring" that are designed to work on this specific skill. You're not alone in identifying a need to work on this stuff.
Piccolo Stomvi
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same thing. Frustrating . Sounds like a good practice regime for me too.
Thanks
mark
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
does it happen mostly in the same areas, where you'd have breaks in your tessiture, or in the "snake pit" Bobby Shew talks about ?

or your tissue that lost a bit of vibration ?
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear the challenges you're dealing with.

I'm a little unclear. Does this happen when you're slurring or only when you're playing varied articulations? Does this occur in a particular register? Does changing dynamics create a different result?

As someone who has come back from nerve damage caused by shingles, I firmly believe that repeating a demand will eventually cause a 'reflex' response from the muscles. I feel this was the basis of the work I got from Carmine Caruso many years ago. The key, of course, is applying the right demand.

Without further information or observing it happen, i"m guessing you are not consistently keeping the lips together in a relaxed fashion. I might suggest one or both of the following:

1. Long, low F# at ppp. Throughout your practice sessions, sustain a low F# at a volume level where it threatens to stop speaking, as long as possible.

2. Carmine's tongue brushing exercise. Carmine said, 'Think of the tongue as a valve releasing the air to push through the lips.'

It's a busy season for us all but, if you think it might help, we could get together and I could take a look. I'm out here in JC but I get to town frequently.

Alan
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this many times when players come to see me for a moutpiece consultation. What has worked for me and all of those that I have seen is to make sure you "FEEL" the wind passing the lips. Actually feel the moving wind passing over or through your lips. Yes, this may be more of a visualization thing, but if you FEEL the wind, then the air keeps moving and problem solved.

Either that or you could be dealing with a rim contour / alpha angle issue.

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mine is more when I'm not warmed up, but, majority is after getting up
Around high C (just above the staff) for a bit then trying to play again on the staff. I just shut off at times.
Been trying to practice soft with good air support but not tensed or constricted.
I think I get a little pinch or swelling, messes with my air flow.

Tried to play lead , then next song is a solo . Very insecure feeling.

Mark
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe I'm the only one that pinches or swells a bit. Others compensate some how.

Thanks
Mark
oldenick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tackle this issue from the perspective of aperture control.

Take Schlossberg Long Note Drills No. 2 and No. 6. Play the crescendo decrescendo while focusing on the flex of the aperture. Don't worry about anything else visualize and feel the aperture through the exercise.

The aperture starts open flexes for the crescendo and returns to open, don't get so soft that the note cuts out. Getting this smooth and even helps eliminate airballs.

I have had this issue off and on in my playing. Doing these exercises this way has helped me.

Good Luck
Nick

Play The Ink
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gchun. Mahalo, Gary. It happens when I play the horn. When I free buzz or buzz with the mouthpiece, the sound is consistent.

@dstdenis. That's my approach, in essence, but I fail at the very first point. For example, when playing something as basic as Cicowitcz' Long Tone Studies, when I change pitches, there is an involuntary break in the sound. Also, I do have the Franquin Method, so maybe I'll take a look at those exercises. Offhand, do you know what they might be?

@JVL and Alan.I don't notice an effect by trssitura. It happens when I'm slurring but most noticeable if I tongue. If tongueing eight notes (i.e.) complete notes may not sound. If slurring there might be a break between tones but not so noticeable.

@Alan, that's a great offer, thanks. I'm no longer in Austin, but now in Georgetown. Might move back to Austin or even Hawai'i, so am in flux. I'll let you know if things settle down. Thanks, again.

Thanks, Brian, I'll check on that sensivity. BTW, an experienced forum member hs sent me a mouthpiece that may help. He's basing his choice of mpc on my needs and his experience. To date, the mouthpiece is more comfortable than most I've played and feels larger, although I'm wondering (he won't say yet, LOL) if that's because of, not the cup diameter but how it's constructed.

@Nick. I alreadyuse those Schlossberg drill.

Thanks to everyone.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound stops and starts! Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
This is a continuation of an earlier thread which pertains to coming back after a couple of strokes. I have a problem and I would like the responses to pertain specifically to that and not broader. That was covered in the previous thread. Thank you.

The problem is that I am not able to sustain a buzz throughout a phrase. For example, when I play consecutive notes, they don't all come out, like a phrase with four eighth-notes might have some notes just air, the others as expected.

I know that for a good legato, instead of thinking and playing four stop-start-stop-start notes, you should rather think of playing one half note that is merely interrupted by the tongue, with the air continuing throughout.

Yet, I get a choppy phrase with some notes simply not sounding. I am using a soft, not explosive tongue and, to the best of my knowledge, with the air continuing, not stopping and starting. It seems like the sound/buzz just momentarily stops.

Does anyone have any suggestions beyond just continuing to work on, first, long tones then a long tone broken apart in parts with gentle tonguing? Or should I just keep doing what I'm doing and giving it more time? Thanks.

To me, this sounds like a case of looking in the wrong place for the answer. Thinking about sustaining a buzz, or if it is stopping / starting is where I suspect things are going astray.

Rather than think of this, and having air flow somewhere in the back office, why not reverse this, forget all about the buzz and focus on flow? I have a few students who have found this way of thinking really helpful. We spend a fair amount of time working on just an air stream, no buzz or sound and feel that it moves, moves constantly and as the air supply runs down, the level of support of goes up to compensate.

All of them have worked out they are relaxing to play (nice) but not supporting to play (oh oh...). With some work on this area, and keeping the air moving, they find both their buzz and notes are far more reliable. When the tongue is added, we often work on simply tonging the passage, on one pitch. Then play as written.

So they move from:
simple moving constant air
maintaining a buzz or long note
articulating the passage on one pitch (even change pitch each repetition)
play the passage as written.

All the while, the focus is on air flow...

It may help, may not. I suspect it is in the mindset...

cheers

Andy
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, I am not concentrating on the buzz. I mention it, though, because it is the initial source of the sound source. No buzz, no sound.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had the same issue from time to time. Here are the things that have helped me the most. Practice everyday and do the fundamentals. My routine lately: Stamp long tones, flexibility and articulation exercises. Takes less than 10 minutes.

Remember the "poo" attack as described by Chris Martin. You don't want to cut off the blood flow to your chops and this definitely helps to keep your chops focused. And your sound will likely improve as a side benefit.

Try a bigger mouthpiece. Smaller diameters seem to require lots of practice and maintenance drills to stay on top of (for me). More room for error.. I mean vibrations!

Good luck!
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
@dstdenis. That's my approach, in essence, but I fail at the very first point. For example, when playing something as basic as Cicowitcz' Long Tone Studies, when I change pitches, there is an involuntary break in the sound. Also, I do have the Franquin Method, so maybe I'll take a look at those exercises. Offhand, do you know what they might be?

I have the digital edition from qPress of the Franquin. Here are a few detached slurring exercises: pp. 72-74, scales alternating slurs and detached slurs; p. 78, exercises in detachment; pp. 110-111, detached slurs (but these are a bit more advanced). Also, any of his scales and arpeggio studies can be played with detached slur (legato tonguing) using the same approach.

BTW, it occurs to me that John Daniel Special Studies, whisper exercises would also be helpful for working on responsiveness across phrases.

And since you mentioned initial sound production, of course there's also Franquin sound production exercises and long tones on pp. 79-81. The book is noted for these particular exercises, which really do help with responsiveness. These take a while to yield benefits--regular practice every day, and improvements will sneak up on you over time.

I've noticed a common theme across all of these exercises: I get better response when I set my embouchure position and firmness at the proper amount of flex and firmness for each note. These exercises let me set everything else aside and just focus on that. I think that's why they work.
Piccolo Stomvi
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, dstdenis!

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say, "no buzz, no sound". That prompts me to ask if you've tried a gentle airflow through the mouthpiece and walking it into just the leadpipe to start the air column vibrating? If not, I'd work on leadpipe long tones and glisses with this tyoe of start.

Alan
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your stroke. I am having the same trouble playing, not from a stroke, but because of dental problems. What helped me was change of rim contour,not size or alpha angle. It took a lot of experimentation, I tried rounder ,flatter,thinner,thicker, until i found a rim that worked for me.

I hate to blame equipment,so I tried long tones,slurs etc....nothing really worked foe me until I tried rim shapes.As our bodies change, there is no reason why our mouthpieces shouldn't.

Hope things get better,

Al
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. Scriver wrote:
(...)What has worked for me and all of those that I have seen is to make sure you "FEEL" the wind passing the lips. Actually feel the moving wind passing over or through your lips. Yes, this may be more of a visualization thing, but if you FEEL the wind, then the air keeps moving and problem solved.(...)
Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
From your description I'd agree with Brian. It might also be a good idea for you to get with one of the many Adam students hanging around here and apply the "bell in the bucket" exercise to not only keep the wind moving but to insure the proper muscles are moving it. I can describe it but it would be far better to get it from an Adam person- PH or billyb would be good people to query. I will tell you that it helps make me aware of from where the wind is being initiated and sustained. Good luck.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Craig.

p.s. in a wheelchair so the bucket of water thing is unmanageable. Thanks for the thought, though.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: