• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip Buzz Theory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maplexpz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Lip Buzz Theory Reply with quote

Today I thought of this crazy thought about lip buzzing. Why is lip buzzing potentially beneficial to downstream players? Well in my experience the only reason downstream players would experience trouble playing trumpet is with endurance and range because of the lower lip rolling behind the top and the top lip taking all the pressure. This creates no efficient way of vibration with the lip tucked in and combined with the pressure cutting off the sound. This is counteractive to building the muscles in your face and instead of having sore corners the lips will have a red outline of the mouthpiece.

To be able to lip buzz (for me), the lips have to be in contact with each other but not necessarily an aligned jaw. Showing all red meat from the top and bottom lips. In theory this makes complete sense that lip buzzing will create the muscles in your face to be able to keep from tucking in the lower lip. From then after getting to accustomed to this form of playing it should be pretty straight forward progress. But this all just a theory.

I'm probably not using the word theory right but you get the idea.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
lip buzzing, done and practiced correctly, is beneficial to everyone, down or upstream players.
Please note that even if i believe in and practice lip buzzing, i just answered this point, without wanting to open the sempiternal debate on mpc or free buzzing.

best
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip buzzing, like pedals and the pencil exercise, is sort of controversial. Some top flight teachers recommend it, some don't care, others forbid it. Its up to the player. It helps some, hinders others try it for your self and see. Consult an established teacher.

There is plenty of discussions of buzzing in Trumpet herald going back years and years. Check it out
Tivolian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my ignorance, but can someone enlighten me as to the difference between "upstream" and "downstream" players? Thanks.
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest visiting the Reinhardt forum. Lots of info regarding the different embouchure types, including differences between upstream vs. down.
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
Tivolian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF Fan wrote:
I suggest visiting the Reinhardt forum. Lots of info regarding the different embouchure types, including differences between upstream vs. down.

It's not easy to find this information there. A brief description of upstream vs downstream would help, if you don't mind.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
it's a misnamed image.
If you refer to the air stream, every player will orient it down the mpc cup for low register, and up for the high register. This independently of your lip setting (more upper lip vs more lower lip) or your external pivot (upward horn angle vs downward horn angle).

best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: