• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is there a correct way to hold the trumpet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Is there a correct way to hold the trumpet? Reply with quote

Hi,

I started a few years ago, but had an unplanned hiatus and am just getting my chops back, so I am beyond a novice, but still pretty new to the instrument.

I realized I have been holding the trumpet with my middle finger in the slider ring, but I see the approved method seems to be to use the ring finger. I don't have particularly large hands, but I find my fingers seem rather mushed together. On a cornet (I play in a brass band) this is no problem, but on a trumpet there is less room. Also, I find it very difficult to move my ring finger without my pinky moving around as well. Do others have this issue? Is it something you trained your fingers to overcome?

Should I stick with what feels better, or is there a good reason to try and adapt to the other grip? I did come across a thread from 2005 that discussed this somewhat, but I'd be keen to hear what folks thoughts are.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking... It doesn't matter very much which finger goes in the ring as long as you can use it properly.

Ideally, pick one comfortable grip and stick with it.

Personally that's middle finger in the ring (3rd slide) and pinky below the slide, but we're all different
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it useful to have at least a couple of different grips. On a long gig switching back and forth can help stave off fatigue.

If you're feeling cramped using the ring finger then you may be gripping too hard. I find a loose fingertip grip works best.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a "correct way" to hold a trumpet? Yes - whatever way works.

With some of the newer boutique horns, as well as many vintage designs, there is quite a bit of variation in the wrap vs the classic Bach - which used to be shorter, so even that is not really a hard & fast template. The height of the wrap, the length of throws, the size of the hand, and the structure of the hand's connective tissues all create a wide range of relationships between player and instrument, so you have to tailor how you grip your horn to the specifics of the both of you.

The "correct way" involves holding the horn in a manner that does not tire you too quickly, that provides a stable light contact with the mouthpiece that is not affected by throwing a slide out and pulling it back, and which keeps the fingers centered over the valves and able to depress them straight every time without thinking about it. If your two hands are positioned to achieve these things, no matter how you do it, that is the "correct way".

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is worth linking to this discussion.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Is there a correct way Reply with quote

Hello all,
I think that the right hand position is much more critical. Thumb between the1st/2nd valve casing and pinky out of the ring, really gives you the best option of finger dexterity. Your ring finger gets its' job done better and you don't use the pinky to add to the pressure.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to hold it with the big end facing away from you.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
The "correct way" involves holding the horn in a manner that does not tire you too quickly, that provides a stable light contact with the mouthpiece that is not affected by throwing a slide out and pulling it back, and which keeps the fingers centered over the valves and able to depress them straight every time without thinking about it. If your two hands are positioned to achieve these things, no matter how you do it, that is the "correct way".

This is moving towards the truth of things. Other instruments have specific, documented and clearly articulated ways to hold them. Trumpet (and most brass) seems to lack this. Part of it is the variation in instruments, but part of it is due to simply poor pedagogy.

At a recent masterclass, Vince Di Martino made the comment that trumpet is a left handed instruments, meaning we hold it in our LEFT hand. Not that most of the kids noticed, apart from recalcitrants, who hold the instrument in a right hand death grip and wonder why they can only just get about the horn!

For me, the following helps ME, and it also helps my students who bother to notice...

Left hand: ring finger in the ring, thumb in the saddle/ring and only the finger tips do the holding. The weight of the instrument lies on our index finger. Our hand is formed into a loose C shape.

Right hand: forms a C shape, and sits high, with the thumb under the leadpipe around the first valve, or between 1 & 2. valve fingers curve over the valves. Finger hook? Ignore it, and let the little finger float...

Now try to get a kid to do this after a time playing using the death grip... (you see the flat spot on my head? Matches the wall in my studio!)

cheers

Andy

Last edited by Andy Del on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

This is moving towards the truth of things. Other instruments have specific, documented and clearly articulated ways to hold them. Trumpet (and most bras) seems to lack this. Part of it is the variation in instruments, but part of it is due to simply poor pedagogy.

At a recent masterclass, Vince Di Martino made the comment that trumpet is a left handed instruments, meaning we hold it in our LEFT hand. Not that most of the kids noticed, apart from recalcitrants, who hold the instrument in a right hand death grip and wonder why they can only just get about the horn!

For me, the following helps ME, and it also helps my students who bother to notice...

Left hand: ring finger in the ring, thumb in the saddle/ring and only the finger tips do the holding. The weight of the instrument lies on our index finger. Our hand is formed into a loose C shape.

Right hand: forms a C shape, and sits high, with the thumb under the leadpipe around the first valve, or between 1 & 2. valve fingers curve over the valves. Finger hook? Ignore it, and let the little finger float...

Now try to get a kid to do this after a time playing using the death grip... (you see the flat spot on my head? Matches the wall in my studio!)

cheers

Andy

Well stated. Should nearly be a sticky note for this post.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:

This is moving towards the truth of things. Other instruments have specific, documented and clearly articulated ways to hold them. Trumpet (and most bras) seems to lack this.

Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting and helpful post indeed. I started out as a kid with two fingers above and two below the 3rd valve slide; thumb of course in the 1st slide hook. Plus I kept my right pinkie in the hook all the time. Then moved on to the "Clifford Brown grip" w/ all fingers above the third valve slide. Gave me the possibility to press even harder 😎

Visited Prague about 20 years ago, bought a cheap rotary and found I actually prefer them over pistons, mostly for the sound but also for the handling. Stuck with piston instruments for another 20 years and am just now shopping for a good rotary trumpet, flugel, and bass trumpet (don't ask about saving the money for these instruments). Now why is this relevant (for me anyway)?

My rotary experience (no pinky hook, more space to arrange fingers) has finally brought me to the point to release the pinky, which really provides much more freedom and actually allows me to play faster on the piston than before. The downside of not using the pinky in the hook is that the instrument does feel somewhat less stable in its position; this is possibly due to the fact that I am also working on loosening the grip of the left hand at the moment. Things do feel more wobbly than before, but finger speed and also the sound as such are getting much better. Still working on those rotaries, though
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
bear30101

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some wonderful video evidence of three different approaches on youtube:
Trumpet Concerto by Harry James, (arched fingers, free pinkie)
I can't get started by Al Hirt and Maynard, (Al's right hand is in tight)
Flight of the Bumblebee by Rafael Mendez. (Uses both approaches)
None of them seem dexterity-challenged.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But these guys might have put in a wee bit more practice time than most of us can
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Make sure to hold it with the big end facing away from you.

And with the buttons pointing up ↑ ↑ ↑.

But seriously, I almost always play flat fingered and often with the open right hand that Michael Anderson (via Charlie Guyer) writes about in the link that Derek posted, but ...

... at times I will (and have students) put the right thumb between the 2nd and 3rd valve casings-- not to relieve tension in the hand (it certainly adds tension to the hand) but it brings the pad of the third finger into closer apposition (look it up if you think that I meant to write, "opposition") to the pad of the thumb and increases the strength and dexterity of the third finger.

This can clean up some messy third fingerings instantly, at times.

-Denny
samdelong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think holding it however feels the most comfortable with the least amount of tension, and still able to freely move the 3rd valve tuning slide should do the trick, lots of great players all hold their horn differently.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using the split grip at 17 (ring and pinky below 3rd slide, index and middle finger above) after looking at the picture of Bill Chase on the "Pure Music" cover. For me it seemed to distribute the pressure better, but it could be just because Chase was my hero and I thought it looked cool. The truth was that his hands were so big he probably couldn't use the traditional grip. I have skinny fingers, but I've used that grip for 44 years now. None of my college trumpet teachers ever said a word about it--and they all used the traditional grip. What it boils down to is it really doesn't matter much as long as it works for you and feels comfortable.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had the impression the default grip is: right thumb tucked under leadpipe between 1st & 2nd valve cases with the fingers making a C-shape to push valves directly down and the pinky in or out of the hook, left thumb in 1st valve slide saddle/ring or under the leadpipe with the ring finger in the 3rd valve slide ring and the rest of fingers wrapping around the valve casings via above the 3rd valve slide.

I always use this and sometimes put my left index finger over and around the bell. I have big hands but anything else is entirely uncomfortable.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: