• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MP3 player for rehearsals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: MP3 player for rehearsals Reply with quote

All,

The churchestra I play in is changing our rehearsals. We will now be having a separate brass rehearsal and one of the members will be running it.

The director used to run the sectionals and since he knew the lyrics he could navigate the tracks pretty well. But us instrumentalists not so much.

So what I am looking for is a MP3 player for iPad or Windows that will allow me to create my own rehearsal marks to facilitate jumping around while rehearsing.

Do any of you have experience/suggestions?
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played with it yet, but Forscore has a record feature that lets you record and playback with the music. Supposedly can do sections that you want to woodshed, like record the band and then replay it over and over while you work on, for instance a solo, or a difficult passage.

So instead of an Mp3 with rehearsal marks, it would be inserting recorded sections into the sheet music itself.

Again I'm not sure how well it actually works but its worth looking into.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out forScore, but it really isn’t what I am looking for. I already have the recordings in mp3 format and want a way to use them as I would an accompanist.

Either run the tunes top to bottom or start at measure 10 and play 16 bars and repeat.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I checked out forScore, but it really isn’t what I am looking for. I already have the recordings in mp3 format and want a way to use them as I would an accompanist.

Either run the tunes top to bottom or start at measure 10 and play 16 bars and repeat.

Rusty, FWIW, you can do exactly this in forscore. I can bind an audio clip to a score. I can also loop sections of the audio clip from the forescore app. I suspect that most if not all of what you want can be donefirstly from Forscore.
I have used this facility to work with aebersold and other playalongs.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I stand corrected and apologize. ForeScore does almost everything I need.

It took a little googling and some trial and error but I got the score and mp3 linked.

I was then able to play the track, determine the time code of the entrances and annotate them to the score. One could use different colors of annotations to mark brass vs strings vs vocals for quick spotting during a rehearsal.

ForeScore also will turn pages based on the audio. Very nice.

I wish I could tap on one of my annotations to jump to that place in the audio.

For those wishing to try this...
From my email I sent both the PDF score and the MP3 audio to ForeScore.
Then in ForeScore I opened the score.
Tap in the upper center of the score and then on the title.
You will see the meta info for the score.
Tap the audio button near the bottom of the meta info.
Tap on the rectangle with a music note and a plus to see the saved audio and select your audio.

Last edited by LittleRusty on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of other nice features pitch transposition, cent or step, and tempo change on the audio files.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent ! I would also be surprised if the developers of the app would not consider your requests in a future upgrade. It's always worth a shot. At the very least they might be able to suggest a workaround
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran rehearsal tonight. The only issues were having to give extra measures before entrances so the group could sync to the track’s beats.

It was very successful.

Thanks for the suggestion and the persistence in suggesting.
ryanmuckenfuss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: MP3 player for rehearsals Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
All,

The churchestra I play in is changing our rehearsals. We will now be having a separate brass rehearsal and one of the members will be running it.

The director used to run the sectionals and since he knew the lyrics he could navigate the tracks pretty well. But us instrumentalists not so much.

So what I am looking for is a MP3 player for iPad or Windows that will allow me to create my own rehearsal marks to facilitate jumping around while rehearsing.

Do any of you have experience/suggestions?

Maybe Garage Band I know that sounds stupid but I would give it a shot
Olds Ambassador
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some more feedback after using ForeScore a couple of times in rehearsal.

One, I am now putting the timecode and measure number in the annotations. 3:10 (74) would indicate to move to 3 minutes and ten seconds into the MP3. The measure to announce to the group is 74. One glance to give cue and position the MP3.

I also found two measures worked well to get synced with the track’s beat. One measure just didn’t work reliably.

Two, I just read an article that explained one can move the cursor when editing text on the iPhone or iPad by holding the space bar until the keyboard blanks out. At that point you can move the cursor one character or line at a time. This is a game changer and time saver for me. Being able to tap in just the right place to edit text has always been a challenge for me.

Three, I purchased a $15 Bluetooth receiver that can be plugged into a mixer or powered speaker using a headphone jack. TaoTronics TT-BR06 with a 30 month warranty. I found that the iPad’s placement of the headphone jack on one end and the power jack on the other made it a challenge to use the iPad in portrait mode on a music stand.

I am sold on using the iPad and ForeScore for rehearsing.

Last edited by LittleRusty on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

LittleRusty wrote:
I have some more feedback after using ForeScore a couple of times in rehearsal.

One, I am now putting the timecode and measure number in the annotations. 3:10 (74) would indicate to move to 3 minutes and ten seconds into the MP3. The measure to announce to the group is 74. One glance to give cue and position the MP3.

I also found two measures worked well to get synced with the track’s beat. One measure just didn’t work reliably.

Two, I just read an article that explained one can move the cursor when editing text on the iPhone or iPad by holding the space bar until the keyboard blanks out. At that point you can move the cursor one character or line at a time. This is a game changer and time saver for me. Being able to tap in just the right place to edit text has always been a challenge for me.

Three, I purchased a $15 Bluetooth receiver that can be plugged into a mixer or powered speaker using a headphone jack. TaoTronics TT-BR06 with a 30 month warranty. I found that the iPad’s placement of the headphone jack one one end and the power jack on the other made it a challenge to use the iPad in portrait mode on a music stand.

I am sold on using the iPad and ForeScore for rehearsing.

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:
Excellent ! I would also be surprised if the developers of the app would not consider your requests in a future upgrade. It's always worth a shot. At the very least they might be able to suggest a workaround

I sent in an email to their tech support and they stated they would add rehearsal marks to their list of potential new features. It sure would be nice to tap a rehearsal mark and have the MP3 start at the correct spot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: