• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why we quit - Why we re-start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Why we quit - Why we re-start Reply with quote

There are some good stories out there - I'll start, not much of a story

When & Why I Quit - It wasn't fun anymore and tired of it - I played 9 years - put the horn in the closet at high school graduation in 1969 - Had been a lead trumpet player in a good program. However, I missed out on high school sports because of band. In high schooll, I started playing guitar and thought that was more cool.

Length of Layoff - a little over 49 years - My cumulative playing time during that period of time was no more than a couple of hours. My horn was destroyed by my kids in the the early eighties.

Any Regrets? - Not a lot - With family, 4 kids, career, travel and trying to mix in a little golf, bowling and softball, etc. i doubt there would have been any focus on the horn. On the other hand, now that i am starting back, wish i had kept up a little so the gap wasn't as big.

Why I Restarted - Had been in the back of my mind now I am retired with more time. I wondered if i could recapture some portion of the old skill. I saw some retired guys my age doing dixie land in Florida and they looked like they were having fun. The catalyst - I was in the Sweetwater music store in Ft Wayne, IN with my son-in-law. Knowing i used to play, he challenged me to try a horn in the store. A little hesitant, i pulled out the mouthpiece and made a decent sound, went in a practice room and struggled through a couple of scales. It wasn't good, but not nearly as bad as i would have thought. Good enough that i thought i would try it.

Progress - Progress has been OK and surprised how quickly some things came back. No stamina or range but very encouraged and i am starting back with lessons. More importanly, i really enjoy it and the challenge of it. Its kind of like being re-acquainted with an old friend. Not sure where the journey will lead but i am committed to see it through.

Any other stories???
CarolBrass CPT-1000 Mini Trumpet
GeorgeB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played for 12 years ( 1953 to 1965 ) with a small 5 piece band. We did teen dances, special events, a lot of weddings, etc. But gigs for brass started to dry up in the 60s with rock bands and DJs taking over weddings. I had a wife and 3 children and was good at what I did in publishing so I dropped the horn and concentrated on my publishing career, which turned out to be a good move financially.

I lost my wife to pancreatic cancer in 2012 and I damn near went nuts. Three years later I was sick of sitting around feeling sorry or myself and dug my old student horn I started playing with in 1953 out of the closet. I had sold my Conn 28B a long time ago so the old student horn was all I had to start with. As soon as I felt I was going to be able to make a comeback, I bought a new Bach student horn and went at it. I was in my 80s and things were pretty tough, but in 6 months I was playing well enough to join a community band playing first chair.

I have come a long way since March, 2016, but my comfort playing range these days is a B above the staff and most of my band playing rarely calls for much above G on top of the staff. The one thing I still struggle with in endurance. Otherwise I am pretty contented these days. Music was my salvation.
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Bach TR300H2 B flat trumpet
ACB Cornet Doubler
Bach 3C, Bach 5A, 5B, 5C, 5C custom 24 backbore

Last edited by GeorgeB on Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Croquethed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The five-year anniversary of my comeback is this Wednesday. My goals when I started were very modest - be able to play Jingle Bells at Christmas, Auld Lang Syne at New Year's, and Taps on Memorial Day.

I purposely avoided diving right into Arban's. Got a couple "comeback" books and serendipitously discovered a couple concepts of basic blues theory that had never been taught to us in school. Then it was off to the races. 99 percent of my playing is by ear; I'm lucky if I get an hour in, but a half hour 5-6 days of the week are easily doable (not retired yet, have a teenaged son and 90-year-old father living with us, so a lot of life gets in the way of playing).

Went off to jazz camp this summer and discovered I would rather explore New Orleans than sit in hotel rooms 12 hours a day and read sheet music. That crystallized what I really want and need from the horn. I'm a simple blues noodler but picking the horn up again has made me a much better listener of music, has improved my appreciation of the history of the role of the horn in blues, R&B and rock, opened my ears to a lot of great players, and given me a subject in which I can constantly and incrementally improve at my own pace. Range is pretty much stuck at D/Eb above high C but I can play melodies of songs I like from C to shining C and jump in occasionally for a Stones riff.

It's an important part of my day now. Think I'll go to my grave feeling that way.
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reasons why I quit have varied, but the times in between when I've started again have shortened!

I don't think I ever quit completely for more than a couple of years. I played every day into my 30's, but I was only sporadically playing with others past my 20's. Eventually in my mid 30's, without outlets, I quit. I picked it up again in my late 30's, and around 40, when I was laid off for a while, I practiced in earnest. By I reached the same old plateau, got discouraged, and quit again. I focused more on guitar for a while, got into other styles besides jazz.

I picked it up again 6 or 7 years ago, after a divorce, and I've been playing ever since, despite getting married again and even having a kid. I found a Skype teacher and changed my embouchure and setup, which improved my playing. I have taken a few months off here and there, usually, again, out of frustration either with myself or playing opportunities. But I hooked up with a big band last year, and it's given me new motivation and an experience I haven't had since I was in school.
Brassnose

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started at eight in grade school, played the school big band, continued to play in a semi-professional big band with me being the only non professional trumpet player until I started going to grad school. Played in a trio until ca. 30 and then stopped playing, mostly for career reasons. Layoff around 12 years and when the kids got older, a sentence my teacher in Philly, Roger Prieto, said to me once "I want you to pick up your horn and play!" kept coming back to me. Plus I just wanted to play again.

In fact I play better now than before, mostly because I have been able to put all those things learned decades ago into place although of course I still need to work (a lot!) on improvements.

A funny thing is that I am much better at reading rhythmic patterns than before the break and also my sense for timing and intonation is much better. In part I assign this to the long nights I spent listening to everyone at Ortliebs Jazz House when it still existed in its original form with all the great local musicians passing by and jamming.

So here I am, back in 2-3 hour gigs with soul/funk bands and a community orchestra working on getting a good repertoire. Even started the bass trumpet a year ago and really dig that. It's fun and a good break from work and chaos in general.
Bremner Sshh
y-o-y
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

time. its always availability or lack of time to commit to this horrible, unforgiving, merciless, beautiful instrument/burden.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing at around 9 years old, played through high school, was a music major in college. I switched majors in college. After college, I played trumpet less-and-less, and played the piano and guitar more. There just wan't enough time to practice regularly, and I eventually put the trumpet away.

Just over 10 years ago, I picked up the trumpet again. This was after a 20-year layoff. After practicing for a few months, I started going to open jam sessions. I eventually met a few like-minded players and put together a jazz trio, through which I play with regularly. I also play in the occasional church gig. Like many things in life, playing is much more enjoyable the second time around.

Mike
GeorgeB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
Like many things in life, playing is much more enjoyable the second time around.

Mike

My sentiments, too, Dr. Mike. Now if I could just play a 3 hour gig like I could in my twenties...
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Bach TR300H2 B flat trumpet
ACB Cornet Doubler
Bach 3C, Bach 5A, 5B, 5C, 5C custom 24 backbore
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
The five-year anniversary of my comeback is this Wednesday. My goals when I started were very modest - be able to play Jingle Bells at Christmas, Auld Lang Syne at New Year's, and Taps on Memorial Day.

I purposely avoided diving right into Arban's. Got a couple "comeback" books and serendipitously discovered a couple concepts of basic blues theory that had never been taught to us in school. Then it was off to the races. 99 percent of my playing is by ear; I'm lucky if I get an hour in, but a half hour 5-6 days of the week are easily doable (not retired yet, have a teenaged son and 90-year-old father living with us, so a lot of life gets in the way of playing).

Went off to jazz camp this summer and discovered I would rather explore New Orleans than sit in hotel rooms 12 hours a day and read sheet music. That crystallized what I really want and need from the horn. I'm a simple blues noodler but picking the horn up again has made me a much better listener of music, has improved my appreciation of the history of the role of the horn in blues, R&B and rock, opened my ears to a lot of great players, and given me a subject in which I can constantly and incrementally improve at my own pace. Range is pretty much stuck at D/Eb above high C but I can play melodies of songs I like from C to shining C and jump in occasionally for a Stones riff.

It's an important part of my day now. Think I'll go to my grave feeling that way.

What type of jazz camp? I’m 3 years into a comeback and would consider doing something like that some day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: