• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Malte Burba Brass Master Class

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Malte Burba Brass Master Class Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has watched "Malte Burba Brass Master Class: Method for all brass players."

http://www.thomann.de/gb/schott_brass_master_class.htm

The description on a library website says:

"Not only does Malte Burba rank among the most versatile brass players of our time, he is also considered to be one of the best brass teachers worldwide. Many of his students play in leading orchestras or teach at major conservatories. One of the pillars of his pedagogy is the pioneering method developed by him for playing brass instruments which, in an absolutely logical manner, eliminates all technical and embouchure-related problems. This comprehensive DVD for teaching and private study shows every brass player the logical way to attain unlimited control, endurance and range."

Got me curious...
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wowza.

I borrowed out a copy from the library.

Basically he gets you to do lots of isolated exercises away from the instrument and allow the body to automatically utilise them on it's own over time.

The stuff on breathing seemed good?
Then he gives you some tongue arch exercises where you are supposed to practice saying different syllables while ensuring that the tongue is the only thing that moves. You are supposed to do these everyday for a year... okay...

But when he gets into talking about embouchure it's all seems a bit over the top and dogmatic. He gives you embouchure strengthening exercises that he says you are supposed to do for 5 YEARS before he says you'll notice a real effect in your playing.

I haven't watched passed here.

The premise of his approach of creating of eliminating as many variables as possible by making different parts of the playing machine operate consistently the same way makes sense logically, but I'm not sure how it would pan out in the real world.

My instinctive reaction is that his approach to embouchure is the opposite of virtually every great player there is.

The approach that has helped me the most lately would be akin to the philosophy of Bill Adam's (although I came to it via a different route), and letting the embouchure work it self out. The mental game has proven to be where most of my problems lie. The more I stop trying to control, the more my body works out what to do on it's own. The most difficult thing about playing is getting out of your own way and being patient and trusting enough to let things work themselves out on their own.
But I know from doing this that a high F, for example, doesn't require a ridiculous amount of muscle, just keeping the air flowing and letting the lips vibrate freely (and maybe resisting the temptation to pull back with the instrument) and there's a high F/G/A/B... even a Double C sometimes. And the more I do it, the more convinced I am that the reason I can't always play those notes is not a lack of strength, but actually from using a lot more strength than is needed.

So why would I need/want to do 5 years of isometrics?

Anyway, if anyone else has watched or read Burba's stuff, I'd be curious what you thought... ???
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After coming back to the horn after years away I've recently picked up a few accessories that were not available when I last played. In the course of browsing the store I came across "Brass Master Class: Method for brass players" by Malte Burba.
One thing impressive about Burba is his CV on the back cover. Quote: " ... He studied strumpet, piano, musicology and music education. His supplementary studies of phonetics and medicine provided him with essential knowledge and an impetus for the development of his method ... and mastery of his instrument. ... "
Having just finished reading this 60 page large print booklet, I reckon I can conclude that:
1) His program is very much a long term project
2) One would need to be extremely dedicated to perfecting the art by eliminating those issues he relates in his work
3) For most players the effort involved in attempting his exercises would far outweigh the ultimate aims of the player, viz, gaining pleasure from the playing. That is, most players would not be desiring or attempting to reach the ultimate playing ability suggested by Burba.

The above notwithstanding, I found his work interesting and informative, though difficult to read. Seems to me (I'm not a linguist) that this work is pretty much a literal translation of his native tongue (language), rather than being a dynamic or functional equivalent translation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: