• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Slightly smaller I.D. mouthpiece than a 70's Schilke 13a4a?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Slightly smaller I.D. mouthpiece than a 70's Schilke 13a4a? Reply with quote

So I think I have finally come to the conclusion that my 70's Schilke 13a4a is very slightly too big for me. I mean, I love it to death. I love everything about it, but the one thing I keep having trouble with is that occasionally it feels way too big for me. I love the rim shape, cup, blow, everything, but that issue makes things exponentially more difficult than they should be when it becomes an issue. What I basically want is a 70's 13a4a, but with a smaller I.D.; in essence, a baby 13a4a. Does such a thing exist or am I mad?
Early 1900's Marceau Cornet *B&F Stencil
1922 Holton-Clarke Cornet
1954 Elkhart built by Buescher 37b
...And many more
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
what's the ID ? Schilke could answer you... Maybe a Giardinelli 10S or Yam. Shew lead or Marc. Shew 1 (the Ingram is a downsized Shew, by the way, a little less shallow)
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the rim shapes vary but you could try picking up second hand a 12A4a and even a 10A4a to see how they compare. Or even try a brand new or second hand 13A4a. Just because it is the same model doesn't mean the IRD will be exactly the same. I have found a lot of variation among Schilke mouthpieces of the same model and hands down like older ones over newer ones. Staying with Schilke keeps a number of variables the same for you eg. backbore, gap etc, so it would be my first resort rather than completely different brands, just my gut you may feel differently.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 13A4a was originally the Mike Vax signature model, based on the Reeves 42SV (designated 2SV at the time). With that in mind you might check out the Marcinkiewicz Vax models or even his current Warburton top.

Maybe you should call around to the various shops to discus a solution to your problem. It could me that there is some other factor that is causing your discomfort. Reeves, Warburtion, Pickett, Patrick, Stork, Schilke, Hammond, Laskey, Marcinkiewicz, Curry, GR.... who did I miss? The makers see this stuff every day and solve problems for players every day. Yours is probably not unique. PIck up the phone
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke 13A4a and Marcinkiewicz Vax have not the same rim contour at all
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Schilke 12A4A. To me it feels like it has a little smaller ID than the 13A4a.
wbrenner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see some challenges in your search. The Schilke numbering system is consistent, so it would seem to be an easy path to picking a smaller inner diameter 'A' cup mouthpiece. As noted by brassmusician, backbore and gaps will be similar.
But many of the 'A' cups are artists models, and they sometimes have different depths. The two most shallow Schilke pieces are your 13A4a and Bill Chase's 6A4a. You may end up with a different brand.
I think that the Reeves semi-flat rim would be similar to the '4' rim of your current piece. Check carefully if trying a Reeves - certain inner diameters have that rim, others are softer, making them feel a bit larger. The Reeves 40ES could be an option.
I play a 39ES, but had to have someone else duplicate the shape of that 40, because the Reeves 39 rim was too soft, making it feel as wide as the 40 and getting me closer to bottoming out as I fell more into the cup.
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Innella wrote:
Try a Schilke 12A4A. To me it feels like it has a little smaller ID than the 13A4a.

I believe you, but the Kanstul Comparator has the 12A4a as a different rim contour. And, dependent on how you overlay the scans, can appear bigger.

I'd rather trust you who has first-hand experience but...
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in EXACTLY the same positon as the original poster.

LOVE my older Schilke 13A4a. Great sound but just ever-so-slightly too big at times.

Tried the 12A4a yesterday. Not even close to the same. Rim contour VERY different and nothing about it felt good.
Have an older 10A4a. Feels smaller and all very much the same, but closes off on me and sound not as big.
Have the Marc. Shew 1.5 and 1.75 pieces - work fine but just not the same response and sound.
Warburton 7SV is close in feel and diameter, but the sound is nothing in comparison.
Yamaha Shew Lead has great sound, but VERY different rim contour, and slightly shallower.

Did you come up with a solution??

Would love to know.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello trumpethead,

i played yam Shew lead for 8 years til one day i became aware the ID was too large. Bobby suggested me to try the Marc. Ingram mpc that was way way better to fit me, but one year later appeared a little too little ID.
I just asked Marcinkiewicz to enlarge the ID up to 0.05mm.
This can seem insignificant, but it 's been the right enlargement and made all the difference. It's perfect to me since then (3 years).
You should ask a maker to custom and upsize your mpc...
or have a look to Dario Frate's mpcs.
best
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
hello trumpethead,

i played yam Shew lead for 8 years til one day i became aware the ID was too large. Bobby suggested me to try the Marc. Ingram mpc that was way way better to fit me, but one year later appeared a little too little ID.
I just asked Marcinkiewicz to enlarge the ID up to 0.05mm.
This can seem insignificant, but it 's been the right enlargement and made all the difference. It's perfect to me since then (3 years).
You should ask a maker to custom and upsize your mpc...
or have a look to Dario Frate's mpcs.
best

Thanks JVL.
I too, have played the Ingram piece with success (still own one), but now after the 13A4a, seems too small. It didn't give me the flexibility I was after, that's why I switched. The Marc Shew is slightly bigger and works fine, but the quality of sound just doesn't compare.
The Yamaha Shew Lead piece I played successfully for quite a while too, and now seems smaller in feel than the Schilke, but with the same sound. So I may go back to that, as custom is way too expensive on a whim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: