• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 2nd gen Xeno 8335II

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I borrowed an 8335IIG or a couple of tours and was impressed. It's a really good all-round horn. The blow is a lot different than a standard Bach Stradivarius 37, I think it has more resistance but it's easier to play. It felt to me like a much better trumpet for commercial and jazz styles than the Bach. It has a pretty middle-of-the-road sound but in a good way.

If I wasn't completely enamored with the Shires CMW, I would maybe be looking at the 8335IIG as my next Bb.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orban wrote:
Hello Seymor B Fudd,

Thank you for the info regarding the Yam 6335rc.
I have a lot of interest, i am in the run for a new trumpet.
Any comparison with other known quality trumpets is welcome.

Thanks.
Orban - Flanders.
z

Here comes: I also tested a Hub van Laar B5 + a Yamaha Wayne Bergeron "LA" model. And - I recently sold a Bach 1B LT190 Commercial which I tried to master during one year and a half. I´ve also played on a Cannonball, a Hub van Laar B3 - as well the aforementioned Xenos.
Obviously this is personal but I was given the advice to begin examining the resistance - a significant variable! As my lifetime axe has been a King Super 20 (-70) I´ve become used to some resistance - probably I bought it so long ago because I liked the resistance (though quite unaware this being a fundamental variable). Everyone wants a horn that is easy to blow&handle but obviously some horns can be too easy - again this is personal! What can happen with a too "easily" blown horn is that you might find it hard to "place" tones accurately, becoming less distinct etc.
As I´m getting older by the minute I also wanted a horn the provides me with a great feedback, helps me play without my eyebulbs poping out. And of course the sound quality, tonal spectrum/colour.
My old King is a bit "compact", very distinct, centered "melodic" , brightens a lot when pressed cutting through a big band
The Hub B5 resembles my King but I found the tonal spectrum a bit limited, not that warm - also too much resistance - for me
The Bach 1B a wonderful horn, broad spectrum, towards the bright side but too little resistance - for me.
The Xenos fine horns, fair resistance but soundwise too shallow - for me
The Cannonball - same story, + too much resistance - for me.
The LA Yamaha - impressive horn but not that warm and easy as the RC
The B3 - fair resistance - nice sound, easy to play -but a bit "loose/diffuse/fluffy" for my taste.
And so on. The RC suits me perfectly - another player in the band found it perhaps a little too "cutting" up high but he´s the guy with the B3. He plays a lot more "fluffy" than I do - being influenced by a lifetime as front row cornetist. But mind you - I do hold that this RC should do perfectly well in a Hummel concerto. The resistance of the RC is considerably less than that of the King but - it so happens that it is perfect for me!
So again - this is personal.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Orban

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Seymor !!

I will try this 6335RC , but my regular shop , Thomann , don't know when she is on the shelf.
I read in some online shops not before April 2019.

Orban.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I'm not really looking for something that might be okay for classical rep but something that was built specifically with that world of playing in mind, hence the Xeno II seemed like the best option for the price I can get one for

I have heard surprisingly little about the Xeno models around here which surprised me. We see a lot of posts about all sorts of makes and models but something as standard as the Xenos there isn't much posted, at least not since the updated II series
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you play classical, are you looking to get a Xeno C-trumpet?
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for a C at the moment. I'm not in the US and Bb's are still the workhorse trumpet for most players
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha 8335IIG and it's one of the finest instruments I've ever owned. Night and day improvement over the generation 1 Xenos, didn't care for those at all. Only reason I'm not playing my gen 2 Xeno is because I just got a hold of an amazing 8310z trumpet with an M/K semi-round bronze SE tuning slide that is the best horn I've ever played. My Xeno II is on TH marketplace at a great price by the way!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got my new Xeno baby today! Huzzah!
Really, really nice trumpet!

Nice sound that definitely leans towards bright and has *no problem* lighting up but otherwise has a nice tone with some core and some brilliance to it.

The resistance is very comfortable throughout the entire range of the instrument. No where does it feel either stuffy or like it's too much to handle.

Great response and I very much like how it slots. Notes/slots feel very stable, and the slots 'grab you' in a way that makes rapid passages feel easier than I'm used to.

The upper register is very comfortable to play in, and the extreme upper register was very surprising. I played the most legit double C that I ever have. The instrument just responded up there in a way I wasn't used to. My extreme upper register is really rather on the thin side of things, but my impression on the Xeno is that the instrument is keeping the notes up there concentrated.

I am a fan!

It's been a busy few months so the practice hasn't been very regular, but I look forward to really getting stuck back in to playing now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: