• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wedge 66MV mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CSR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Wedge 66MV mouthpiece Reply with quote

I'm currently using a Bach 3C on a Strad 37 or 72(depending on the day). At some point in time I've damaged my embouchure and am trying to strengthen and get back some endurance. I often overdue it and push too quickly. I have been considering a Wedge 66MV as a possible aid to help me find my way back to a strong and healthy embouchure. Does anyone out there have any experience with this mouthpiece?
Thanks!
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Wedge 65MV. I loved the full bodied tone I got but I found playing it tricky and found my results varied, particularly if I failed to line up the orientation dot in the correct spot. In the end I decided it just wasn't for me. If you use pressure to play this may not be the mp for you. The good thing is you can return it.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
CSR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GeorgeB,

Thanks for the reply...you remind me that technique is preferable to pressure...
...and yes, being able to return it is a definitive advantage.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a Wedge player for a long time and just recently switched to a 65MV. Personally, I think its great and can't wait to practice on it every day.
mcnairg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing Wedge mouthpieces for about 18 months. The 66MV is my main mouthpiece, and I have a 66S for lead playing and a 66 flugel mouthpiece. I love them and can't imagine playing anything else. The 66MV is the most comfortable mouthpiece I've ever played. I had immediate improvements in most aspects of my playing. I also have no problem playing on standard mouthpieces. The refund program allows you to try them out for up to 3 months and Dr. Dave is super helpful with questions about his mouthpieces; he responds by email—normally within a day or so. If nothing else you can email him to see if a Wedge would help with your issues.
CSR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you patdublc, mcnairg for the reply's (- I've decided to order the 66MV...The lead time is now 6 weeks,I'll post back after I've tried it.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see a Wedge discussion. I see a few people here playing a 66MV. I am currently playing a 65M (with 25 throat). What have you found the difference is with the "V" versus the regular cup? What throat are you using?
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody?
DrDave
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both an M and MV cup with a 65 rim when I want more projection and upper registers support than I get from my usual 65MDV. The difference between the M and MV is subtle. The MV is slightly darker and the M more brilliant. They can be manipulated to sound pretty much the same. I find the MV a bit more stable and forgiving. The 66MV is more popular than the M, probably because it is more similar to a Bach 3C cup. The MV cup works well for pic for me.
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad to see Dr Dave post with his input. I have found that the v shaped cups work especially well for me in my circumstances, because I’m not going for a pure / pristine piano volume, and I also don’t want the upper register to bite too much. But I find an MV cup to be the happy medium for my personal overal sound concept. I want the beautiful, vocal-risqué lower register and quiet dynamics. I also want the ability to play with a lot of excitement in the sound. And I want to be able to shape the articulation at will, and the V cup assists me with that as well.

I’m working more recently on things like velocity, compression, etc with my GR mouthpiece, after focusing for a while on relaxation with Monette. But V cups from the great makers have a special undefinable something, and I love it!

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: