• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best method book to use after embouchure change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerkotulski

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Best method book to use after embouchure change Reply with quote

Now I understand there are many thing after another embouchure change to keep in mind and everything like that, but just one question if you had to choose 1 or 2 method books to use after an embouchure change what would they be and why?
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that is gradually ascending, lyrical, and gradually progressive, that lets you smooth out all registers as you get your chops working properly again.

Something like this book

or maybe something like this.

Simple studies that let you start moving around the horn. If you start looking around at the links above you will find tons of other examples.
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we keep it real for a second here?

Every method book I've ever seen is basically the same. Lot's of face time, some articulations, some slurs, do it all over again in F# major.

You go to orchestra rehearsal and you sit there for 45 mins. Then have a FFF entry on C# above the staff. Good luck with that :haha:

OK I'm going to hide now before anyone else arrives.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fundamentals. All that boring stuff we hate practicing but need to work on anyway. That will build any embouchure.

Clarke Technical Studies - First and Second Studies to start. Soft playing that is not too strenuous can help establish a stable foundation to build upon.

Irons 27 Groups of Exercises. An excellent book of flexibility studies that when properly approached and applied can produce a rock-solid embouchure and excellent breath control. (NB, if you are an upstream player you would need to adjust how the exercises are played to match your embouchure.)

The Rubank books are good. They have tunes and exercises that are more interesting than the repetitive exercises in Clarke and Irons but are not too strenuous.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Daniel’s Special Studies
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop's version of Arban's. Last I saw he was even offering it for free. I use it personally and with students from beginners (first year) to my most advanced students.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tpt_Guy. When I did my embouchure change it was about doing the absolute basics to get back in shape and start using the muscles properly.

Irons 27 Groups of Exercises was a great idea. All of the Clarke Study books (but especially one and two from Technical Studies), and something like Sandy Adams' Super Power Embouchure, which gives you little exercises you can do away from your horn to stay active.
camikaye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hering, 40 Progressive Etudes

Wishing you the best!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Stamp.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caruso
Irons
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I underwent an embouchure change my third year in college. Painful time. But one thing I walked away from that experience knowing is that all the hip exercises and etudes in the world don't help if your fundamental basics are not correct.

Make sure you have a second, even third, party monitor your fundamental embouchure and techniques, otherwise you may see some progress at first, fooling you into a feeling you're on the right track.

Frankly, my teacher during that time was a killer player and successful teacher but I eventually just worked my way back to where I was in the first place. Only after exploring a different way of playing years later, did I see the error. To illustrate, my reliable range had been up to about an A above the staff with a High C, sometimes D, playable in the practice room. After my "epiphany", it went to a workable E above High C and a Double High C in the practice room.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no real answer past working in the area of basics. These fundamental skills need to be working, or all the rest of a waste of time, and most likely to be detrimental to the progress you want to make.

Try looking at it in a different light, that of cementing in the new embouchure. THAT is what you are working on, and to do so, you need to get it to become the new normal. If that means playing VERY simple things: single notes, simple tunes, then do so. Anything more complex is going o drive you back to old habits unconsciously, and mitigate any progress being made.

Boring? Yes. But it isn't about you and your having stimulating music to play. It's about creating new habits on top of old ones to the point you stay with the new. When I have a student make a change, I stress:

1. If it feels different, good. Keep holding onto this different feeling.
2. Keep it simple! Playing an initial note - pick up the horn and nailing it, is the key to building things up.
3. Keep reassessing, keep an open mind and STOP when tired.

good luck.

cheers

Andy
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franquin. Covers the usual fundamentals, plus some things that most other books don’t, especially sound production exercises, which the method is famous for. Exercises range from beginner to very advanced. Extensive guidance.

I’d rotate through other books just to keep things interesting, but Franquin would definitely be in the mix, and probably more than the others.
Piccolo Stomvi
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
no book in se will help.
Flutter, a little of lip buzzing correctly done helped with fingers subbing the rim,
work on centering each note with aperture control doing kind of vibrato, everything in short easy sequences, slowly, at first rather mf/mp, enough rest between sequences,
then, when this is easy and clean, play whatever is easy to you at each step of your improvement, tune or exercice book.
Build on quality, coordination, repetition and satisfaction
best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: