• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

3c rim but less cup depth

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dssheller

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest Trent Austin's MV line of mouthpieces? I have an ACB MV3L which is closer to a Bach Mount Vernon 3D. The width is the same as a 3C, while being slightly shallower and his mouthpieces also have a very cushiony rim which is a plus as well.
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote would be for the Karl Hammond Design 5MV. I found it has an enormous range of tone colors, and the shape of the cup and throat really help support the upper register without ever feeling like a "lead piece". If you don't get along with V cups, then his Mb cup is more bowl-shaped.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomvi-USA Flex 3F VR there’s a logical choice to take a look at and possibly a test drive.

https://stomvi-usa.com/product/3f-vr-flex-trumpet-mouthpiece/

Be sure to take a look at the reviews on the product page.

These are excellent mouthpiece is the do provide the player certain advantages that make them as advertised simply easier to play.

https://stomvi-usa.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/stomviusavideo
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stomvi-USA/106129483617
https://twitter.com/Stomvi_USA
888-702-7277
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohnecael wrote:
ML52K wrote:
Horntrader.com has his HT3CS. Reported to be slightly shallower 3C patterned after I believe a Mt Vernon 3C of Arturo’s. Now with 29, 28, or 27 drill size. I have the 3CS-27. I find it very comfortable. For “me” it gives me a clear but not bright tone quality with better upper register support.

that sounds right up my alley in what i was looking for, Ive been using a bach 3c for a good few years and the problem I had with it was on shallower stuff I had a pretty decent range for a HS player and my tone was what i wanted but with the 3c the resonance just felt dead. My teacher wouldnt let me switch to anything but bach since he was a loyalist i guess but i dropped him for someone else and im looking for new options. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you don't mind the drive to Chicago (south side, closer to Fort Wayne) I have a Horn Trader 3CS-27 you could try out and buy if you found you liked it.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
ohnecael

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
ohnecael wrote:
ML52K wrote:
Horntrader.com has his HT3CS. Reported to be slightly shallower 3C patterned after I believe a Mt Vernon 3C of Arturo’s. Now with 29, 28, or 27 drill size. I have the 3CS-27. I find it very comfortable. For “me” it gives me a clear but not bright tone quality with better upper register support.

that sounds right up my alley in what i was looking for, Ive been using a bach 3c for a good few years and the problem I had with it was on shallower stuff I had a pretty decent range for a HS player and my tone was what i wanted but with the 3c the resonance just felt dead. My teacher wouldnt let me switch to anything but bach since he was a loyalist i guess but i dropped him for someone else and im looking for new options. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you don't mind the drive to Chicago (south side, closer to Fort Wayne) I have a Horn Trader 3CS-27 you could try out and buy if you found you liked it.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

If/When I have the time to get up there to chicago again I will defintely take the time to do that! Maybe try to squeeze a lesson in if thats ever possible? Wont be up there again for a little while but if I am would love to take a look.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,
Marcinkiewicz Shew 1.75 or 1.5 should be ok
or email Dario's Frate from Farte Precision Professional Brass Mouthpieces, he will give you very good advices
best
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a 3c player myself, I like the Marcinkiewicz E3/3C and Warburton 4M for a shallower 3c-size mouthpiece.

For piccolo I prefer to use a smaller diameter, shallow piece. I like the Schilke 11A better than anything else I’ve tried.

— Joe
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohnecael wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
ohnecael wrote:
ML52K wrote:

Best wishes,

John Mohan

If/When I have the time to get up there to chicago again I will defintely take the time to do that! Maybe try to squeeze a lesson in if thats ever possible? Wont be up there again for a little while but if I am would love to take a look.

Sounds like a plan! I also have a ton (well, maybe not quite a ton) of other mouthpieces similar in size to the 3C including almost all the Reeves 43 sized cups (I have the 43B, 43V, 43C, 43M and 43S) and a bunch of the 42 sized Reeves mouthpieces as well. I also have a copy of Arturo Sandoval's Mt Vernon 3C and several custom mouthpieces that combine (exact) copies of Arturo's rim with progressively shallower cups (and deeper ones as well). One is a Bach 1-1/2C underpart mated to the Arturo Sandoval MV3C rim copy and one is a Bach 3B underpart mated to the Arturo Sandoval MV3C rim copy. And also a bunch of James New's mouthpieces in the 5 (MV3C) size and the 4 (Elkhart 3C) sized rims with various cup depths and the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz and Lead pieces. Practically a mouthpiece emporium!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote for a Reeves 3C rim with 43M underpartand #2 bbore.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Lee Adams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Efficient 3C Reply with quote

I have seen a good many 3C players pick up extra efficiency and they like the acoustic innovations inherent with designs by GR. Especially the Northern Brass 3-66**** or 4-66**** mouthpieces. They have the GR #1 back bore for good focus and projection and a medium shallow cup!

https://www.facebook.com/Northern-Brass-Mouthpieces-by-GR-340748923024936/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQRrMWOw5rYV8p2_y5aO9Rg?view_as=subscriber
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: