• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 1CH

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Bach 1CH Reply with quote

Anyone know the modern equivalent of a Bach 1CH?

Or more specifically, does anyone know the inner diameter of those rims?

Thanks.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke Symphony M1? I recall that the 1CH was made for Herseth and Schilke was the company that make it for him? Or at least has that now?
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're right. I shouldn't have called it a Bach 1CH, since it's a copy Laskey made of a favorite 1C rim.

Ok. Schilke M1. I'm curious because I like the profile on the M2*, which I think is supposed to be the 1CH profile (please correct me if I am mistaken). I have been using the following mpcs in the 1-1/2 size range:

Parke 640 rim
Parke 640-275 top
Schilke M2*

I find that they are a bit narrow. I played a 1BC for a while but that is too big. I have a GR that is about a 67 and it's quite comfortable and just about perfect on the diameter, so I'm hoping the 1CH may be close to that.

-Bruce Lee
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1ch was made for Herseth by Vincent Bach. Scott Laskey later duplicated it for Herseth while at Schilke. Scott’s exact duplicate was labeled the 80, which he called .680” diameter. In terms of Bach thread juncture, they seem to be about .650-.655”, according to measurements Matt Frost has compiled in his "screw rim measurements" page.

Last edited by trombahonker on Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing a M2 for about a but more than a year coming from a M150 and the schilke 1C with CH rim and 24 bore before that. I now use a pickett 2C on a 10-2/24. It just a bit less in ID to me than the M2 but i find it to be much more round and colorful in sound. The rim is rounder than the M2 which is flatter.
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the Curry 1.25 series? I love the 1CH rim, too, but find that 1CH is too big and 1-1/2 is too small. I also have tried (and loved) the shape of the Schilke Symphony series, but the M1 is too big and the M2 feels too small.

For me, the Curry is the best of both worlds. It's not a true CH shape, but still fairly flat-ish. We're splitting hairs here, but even a Bach 1-1/4 seems ever so slightly too big. The Curry 1.25, on the other hand, feels like a slightly more narrow 1-1/4. Since you liked the BC series, maybe a 1.25BC? The thing to remember is that the BC series has a slightly different (bigger?) backbore that a straight Curry 1.25C.

One more thought that seems obvious - if you like the Parke 640 but find it too small and the traditional 1CH is about a 650-655 and is too big, then why not look into a Parke 645? I think Jeff should be doing a run of those fairly soon.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
The 1ch was made for Herseth by Vincent Bach. Scott Laskey later duplicated it for Herseth while at Schilke. Scott’s exact duplicate was labeled the 80, which he called .680” diameter. In terms of Bach thread juncture, they seem to be about .650-.655”.

Thanks for that. This places the diameter right at the published numbers for a Curry 1BC, which I already noted is too big.

chrisf3000 wrote:
Have you tried the Curry 1.25 series? I love the 1CH rim, too, but find that 1CH is too big and 1-1/2 is too small. I also have tried (and loved) the shape of the Schilke Symphony series, but the M1 is too big and the M2 feels too small.

For me, the Curry is the best of both worlds. It's not a true CH shape, but still fairly flat-ish. We're splitting hairs here, but even a Bach 1-1/4 seems ever so slightly too big. The Curry 1.25, on the other hand, feels like a slightly more narrow 1-1/4. Since you liked the BC series, maybe a 1.25BC? The thing to remember is that the BC series has a slightly different (bigger?) backbore that a straight Curry 1.25C.

I haven't tried the 1.25BC, but I honestly don't have much hope for it. The Curry #2 backbore (Schmidt style), along with the Bach 7 (Schmidt), 10 and a bunch of other so-called orchestral backbores play very flat in the upper register for me and I find myself getting very tight to play in tune. I know it's not a matter of them being too big because smaller backbores are even flatter, and more voluminous (and differenrly shaped) backbores like the Bach 24 & 117, Frost MTV and Schilke D backbores work very well for me.

One more thought that seems obvious - if you like the Parke 640 but find it too small and the traditional 1CH is about a 650-655 and is too big, then why not look into a Parke 645? I think Jeff should be doing a run of those fairly soon.

And this corroborates what trombahonker wrote above, so thank you as well.

The reason I'm looking into the 1CH is there are several 1CHs for sale in the marketplace, but I'm not going to spring for one if the rim is too big. Knowing where it sits helps me rule it out, and saves me some expense.

The 1BC is very comfortable, the Schilke Symphony rim more so (supposed to be the 1CH profile). I may look into a Schilke M150* or the 645 my buddy is going to sell soon.

-Bruce Lee
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha Bob Sullivan mouthpiece is also a 1CH rim (Yamaha's copy of Sullivan's Laskey-made 1CH/5B/22th/24bb). These can be purchased new for under $50, and often used for $25-30. Very good mouthpieces, too.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the rim on the Schilke M1 or M1* similar to the rim on a Bach 1CH?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: